Sponsored

Power tonneau - closing on items sticking out of bed??

Weeyam eyesore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford maverick
Occupation
Working
Hi all,

My son is starting to get a bit too comfortable with all of the buttons around the truck.

Yesterday our bicycle handlebars were sticking out of the bed with the bikes in the back. I hear the power tonneau start as he hit the power button to close it. As I look up, one of the panels is starting to compress on a handle bar. I quickly grabbed the bike out of the bed before the tonneau cover went any further.

Has anyone tried or accidentally had the tonneau cover close on an object while emanating out of the bed to see what happens ?? Obviously not recommended I’d guess. Just curious.

I may suggest to rivian a “kids setting” which would be the ability to lock the tonneau cover or gear tunnels while the truck is unlocked unless that already exists and I’m unaware.

Love this truck but so does my son and he’s obsessed going through the gear tunnel and using all the features.

Thanks.
Sponsored

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
Couple times. It stops when it detects enough force against the motor. Not the best for the cover, but it's not like it takes that much force to stop.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I think your point about a software lockout is a good one. Like child's locks on rear windows. If the truck is unlocked and you are standing near it there's nothing to stop someone on the other side of the truck just opening the tonneau when you might not want them too. (how'd those bodies get in there!? :) )

I haven't seen that in settings, but I would probably enable it if it was implemented.

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
I would love to have software lockouts for all the external releases (frunk, gear tunnel doors, tonneau and tailgate) and for them to be controllable individually. I had the exact same thought about the tonneau closing on delicate cargo. I can also imagine a kid opening a gear tunnel door in a tight parking space and scratching an adjacent car, opening the hood in a low-overhead parking garage (I've seen some with very low conduit that would give the paint a deep scratch).

I was told at delivery that my tonneau is not operational. Instead of disabling the cover (which they say would have prevented me from getting software updates), they told me not to press the button and put a sticker on the button. I was still worried about kids climbing all over the truck and even accidentally pressing the button... or even me absentmindedly hitting it. SO I made a temporary cover out of some PVC zip-tied to the crossbar mount just to reduce the chance of having it jam in a partially open position. It doesn't look great but I hope it will avoid a headache. Perhaps someone with some 3d printing skills could make something nicer for this.

Rivian R1T R1S Power tonneau - closing on items sticking out of bed?? 1662375601860

Sponsored

Boomkanani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2009 Tacoma
I have 2 little ones...I can't think of a worthy scenario that I wouldn't just lock the truck if I didn't want someone to open it. Having to go into settings to disable the button-disable seems annoying. Just my opinion. How do you keep them from opening the door and playing with the touchscreen....?

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I've found mine doesn't close just parked on an incline :) Edit: actually serious
Well that’s a non-problem now that we have auto-leveling, right? Rivian scores a two-fer!

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Coming to the gear shop. Wait, now delayed but will be available S00N in an all-black colorway.
Rivian R1T R1S Power tonneau - closing on items sticking out of bed?? 1662379787092

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
I have 2 little ones...I can't think of a worthy scenario that I wouldn't just lock the truck if I didn't want someone to open it. Having to go into settings to disable the button-disable seems annoying. Just my opinion. How do you keep them from opening the door and playing with the touchscreen....?
Definitely agree that kids will mess with the screen. Still, not hard to imagine scenarios where you're loading or unloading or otherwise standing around an unlocked vehicle and someone just happens to press the button.
Sponsored