Possible Tax Credit Loss

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
Does the Amazon order of 100,000 EV vans count towards the 200,000 limit for Rivian ? I am hoping that the bulk order doesn't take away the EV tax credit for us.
Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
Does the Amazon order of 100,000 EV vans count towards the 200,000 limit for Rivian ? I am hoping that the bulk order doesn't take away the EV tax credit for us.
If the qualifying vehicle is purchased for business use, the credit for the business use of an electric vehicle is reported on Form 3800
Rivian R1T R1S Possible Tax Credit Loss icon_pd
, General Business Credit.
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/taxevb.shtml

The short of it is they get the credit.

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
Thank you @ElectricTrucking. So I think this will be a factor on how people flock to Rivian as well to take advantage of the tax credit before Amazon eats the pie.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
With 10k vans due by 2022 and not reaching 100k vans until 2030, I suspect the credit is more likely to either disappear entirely or get completely restructured before Rivian can deliver 200k vehicles.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
There is pending legislation to extend the tax credit per manufacturer to 600K (among other things).

For those not subscribed to/members of Plug In America, I'm copying an email that should interest folks:
We hope everyone has been well and safe in these challenging times. Congress has been focused on many issues the past few months, including transportation and infrastructure policies. To that end, there is now a big package that will be voted on this week on the House side, which includes a number of policies that will accelerate greater adoption of electric vehicles (EVs), “Moving Forward” (that’s the bill name) into an electric transportation future.
Tell Congress you want the Moving Forward Act now—yes to H.R. 2.
Here are the top nine provisions we are focused on in H.R. 2:
Sec. 90431 - Federal EV tax credit: Increases the cap on the Section 30D federal EV tax credit to a total of 600,000 credits per auto manufacturer (versus the current 200,000 credits) - essentially, this will let the tax credit work for more drivers for a longer period of time.
Sec. 90432 - Used EV tax credit: Creates a new tax credit for buyers of used EVs, providing more options to consumers who are low-income. The credit is capped at the lesser of $2,500 credit or 30% of the sale price.
Sec. 33333 - Expanding Access to EVs in Underserved Communities: Requires that the Department of Energy conduct an assessment of the barriers and opportunities for deployment of EV charging stations in underserved communities and disadvantaged communities.
Sec. 33332 - EV Charging Station rebate program: Creates a new rebate program for installing EV charging stations at multi-unit dwellings, workplaces or commercial locations that are open to the public for at least 12 hours a day.
Sec. 1211: Accessibility, Rest Areas and Signage: Requires that EV charging stations that are funded through the Highway Trust Fund (and all other areas under title 23) to be usable by the majority of EV drivers. Also allows for EV charging stations at Interstate rest areas or park & ride locations. And, calls for the Department of Transportation to update the EV signage manuals in order to provide uniform signage to locate EV charging stations.
Sec. 50002 - U.S. Postal Service to go electric: Requires at least 75% of any new vehicles purchased by the U.S. Postal Service to be EVs. And, each post office location open to the public must have at least 1 charging station by 2026. The fleet of medium and heavy-duty trucks must also be at least 30% electric by 2030.
Sec. 33340 - U.S. Federal fleet to go electric: Requires that beginning in FY 2025, at least 50% of the vehicles purchased for the federal fleet must be EVs (and the other 50% must be alternative fueled vehicles).
Sec. 33338 - Funding for State Transportation Electrification Plans: Calls for funding for State Energy Transportation Plans, which must include plans to deploy a network of EV charging stations, reduce fossil fuels and improve air quality by transportation electrification.
Sec. 33337 - Utilities and Transportation Electrification: Requires states to consider allowing for measures to encourage deployment of EV charging stations by utilities, including letting the utility recover investments in the EV charging stations.
Contact your representative to support an electric transportation future and H.R. 2.
EVs provide benefits for all Americans—cleaner air, reduced carbon emissions, fuel and maintenance savings for consumers, improved national security, jobs in the innovation and tech sectors in the U.S.—just to name a few. The time is now to adopt strong policies that will help Americans reap all these benefits.
We will keep you updated as the bill moves forward.
Thanks,
Joel Levin
Executive Director

Sponsored

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
The charging station at every post office isn't going to happen in my life time. If the charger works like the P.O. it will be a level 1 and paid for by more funding as the P.O. is broke and in major debt.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
If the Charger will work the same way mail is delivered in my area, then maybe when I charge my car, they will bill my neighbors! What's not to like about that :)

The charging station at every post office isn't going to happen in my life time. If the charger works like the P.O. it will be a level 1 and paid for by more funding as the P.O. is broke and in major debt.

Skigh

First Name
Skigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So not only do we not get a tax credit for vehicles that fall into the anticipated price range of the Rivian but us Canadians have to deal with the conversion rate from american to CDN dollars. I'm speaking from a west coast vantage point but I don't think other provinces still offer an incentive any longer. It will be interesting to see the pricing structure in the configurator....
Sponsored