Sponsored

Possible Rivian Meetup Locations

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I've realized that I enjoy contributions from a lot of people here & would enjoy events where I could hang out with y'all in person.

Where would be some great locations for meetups once we have our Rivians? Some considerations are:

1) Accommodations - hotels, short term rentals, camping spots or RV spots (double as L2 charging)
2) Outdoor Adventure of some sort, trails, overland, camping, etc would be great
3) Charging availability, especially if it's larger events
4) Local culture, food, or other activities

I'm going to start by putting two on the list:
1) Central TX...(bias? never)
- Accommodations of every type for every taste
- Texas Overland Trail, Hidden Falls Adventure Park, plenty of lakes & other outdoor activities
- Great food (variety & BBQ!) & night life, breweries, etc.

2) CO - Salida/Buena Vista or Ouray/Telluride
- I'll have to let others weigh in on some of the specifics
- CO has some incredible trails & views, at varying levels of difficulty...something for everyone. Plus hiking, fishing, biking, etc.
- RAN & State Park Waypoint charging, in addition to others
- Great craft brews in CO, we even have a town mayor here on the forums that is also a distiller

What are some other great spots we need to add to the list?
Sponsored

DynoSaur

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco Wildtrak
Occupation
Network Engineer
I've realized that I enjoy contributions from a lot of people here & would enjoy events where I could hang out with y'all in person.

Where would be some great locations for meetups once we have our Rivians? Some considerations are:

1) Accommodations - hotels, short term rentals, camping spots or RV spots (double as L2 charging)
2) Outdoor Adventure of some sort, trails, overland, camping, etc would be great

- Texas Overland Trail, Hidden Falls Adventure Park, plenty of lakes & other outdoor activities

- CO has some incredible trails & views, at varying levels of difficulty...something for everyone. Plus hiking, fishing, biking, etc.
- Great craft brews in CO, we even have a town mayor here on the forums that is also a distiller

Any of the CenTex camping spots with 30A chargers for a camper seem appropriate. Garner or Inks Lake. Pull a camper, charge both on site. Either would make a good short foray / Toe Dip for pulling a camper to get more comfortable with towing range.

I’m a sucker for outdoors, all day drinking, and cooking things way to elaborate for not being in my own kitchen.

I’d love to do Hidden Falls. I’ve planned on going there so many times, but have yet to
make it.

The drive out to Spicewood or even a quick
hop out to Driftwood for a Salt Lick meetup would be great, easy and delicious

Covid allowing, Maybe meet up at WurstFest. Not sure I’ll have mine by then, but crossing fingers and toes!

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Any of the CenTex camping spots with 30A chargers for a camper seem appropriate. Garner or Inks Lake. Pull a camper, charge both on site. Either would make a good short foray / Toe Dip for pulling a camper to get more comfortable with towing range.

I’m a sucker for outdoors, all day drinking, and cooking things way to elaborate for not being in my own kitchen.

I’d love to do Hidden Falls. I’ve planned on going there so many times, but have yet to
make it.

The drive out to Spicewood or even a quick
hop out to Driftwood for a Salt Lick meetup would be great, easy and delicious

Covid allowing, Maybe meet up at WurstFest. Not sure I’ll have mine by then, but crossing fingers and toes!
Hidden Falls even has RV spots & other camping onsite, so that could be a good option for some. Great place with fun trails for relaxed riding all the way to stuff I wouldn't do in a full roll cage buggy (OK, I probably would if I had one).

Texas Overland Trail is great scenery and long (half to full day) but very tame, unless there's a lot of rain that make the low water crossings impassable. Also ends near Fredericksburg...incredible little town in the heart of Texas wine country, with ample food, beer, & small town culture from roots of German settlers. Also some good local whiskey nearby from Garrison Brothers or even Treaty Oak a bit closer to Austin.

Damn, I'm selling myself on all the things I haven't done, or done lately... I'm ready!

Last edited:

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T

Heck yeah! Count me in for Hidden Falls Adventure Park!

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm thinking Spring of 2022. If you don't have yours by then, I'll have 3 rows & seating for 7. ;)

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Great suggestion, Skyote!

Salida sure makes a lot of sense, especially given what PT and the people there have done with Rivian. Telluride would certainly be one of those special places. Jackson, Wyoming and Park City, Utah are also up there. Park City has a great combo of interstates (15, 80 and 84) serving it.

The RAN looks like it has picked a spot near the Southern entrance to Yellowstone Park, which is around Flagg Ranch, that sits near the shared boundary with Grand Teton N.P. I know I’ve stayed in a lodge there, but will have to see how that’s changed since back then. The nice thing is that it serves as a stepping off point for both NPs, as well as some areas outside of the parks.

Depending on chargers, West Yellowstone has outstanding mountains, rivers, and lakes all around it, in addition to the park. World-class fly fishing is all over that area. The RAN looks to be heading there as well and there is at least some limited charging available there already.

Anywhere in the Southern Utah/North Rim area of the Grand Canyon has potential. Canyonlands N.P. comes to mind.

I hate to have a left-coast only perspective on this, but that’s what I know best. Trying to at least keep it off the coast, just due to the distance. If not for that, the Charleston and Savanah areas would also be great.

I hope folks from New England and the Great Lakes regions also chime in, along with others from all over.

OP
OP
skyote

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Park City. Free municipal DCFC and High West. What more could you want?

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Park City. Free municipal DCFC and High West. What more could you want?
Greg,

You make a compelling case. Park City is a fun place to play, and hard to beat that beauty while also having the crossroads of major Interstates so close by. I seem to remember a back road from the end of Big Cottonwood Canyon that got me through to Park City. I'm guessing there's quite a labyrinth of gravel, dirt, and paved roads criss-crossing the Wasatch Mts. In the triangle between I-15, I-80, and US-189. Am I correct about that?

Fond memories of having to get out of my VW Sirocco to see that my oil pan's 4 inches of ground clearance was going to be enough. Luckily, it always was.

Last edited:

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470

Coincidentally, you picked two of my four planned vacation spots this year for CO, so I approve of the starting point.

For Colorado, I wonder if we could pull off selecting a few locations, and then driving some of the scenic roads in between them. Maybe a dirt option and a paved option, targeting RAN locations at the stops.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Great suggestion, Skyote!

Salida sure makes a lot of sense, especially given what PT and the people there have done with Rivian. Telluride would certainly be one of those special places. Jackson, Wyoming and Park City, Utah are also up there. Park City has a great combo of interstates (15, 80 and 84) serving it.

The RAN looks like it has picked a spot near the Southern entrance to Yellowstone Park, which is around Flagg Ranch, that sits near the shared boundary with Grand Teton N.P. I know I’ve stayed in a lodge there, but will have to see how that’s changed since back then. The nice thing is that it serves as a stepping off point for both NPs, as well as some areas outside of the parks.

Depending on chargers, West Yellowstone has outstanding mountains, rivers, and lakes all around it, in addition to the park. World-class fly fishing is all over that area. The RAN looks to be heading there as well and there is at least some limited charging available there already.

Anywhere in the Southern Utah/North Rim area of the Grand Canyon has potential. Canyonlands N.P. comes to mind.

I hate to have a left-coast only perspective on this, but that’s what I know best. Trying to at least keep it off the coast, just due to the distance. If not for that, the Charleston and Savanah areas would also be great.

I hope folks from New England and the Great Lakes regions also chime in, along with others from all over.
As a Park City resident for 20+ years now living in Jackson, I say your into the cream with your choices. For the time of year, if it’s winter head to the deserts and in summer go for the mountains, but with spring and fall go anywhere. ?

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I've been thinking about this a lot also.... @skyote I'm with you on Central, TX and I'd be ready to help plan an itinerary in and around Austin. I could see us mixing up some state park visits, food, and small town charm... Or how about taking a tour of the Willow Loop area next spring during wildflower season? Too bad we don't have the Rivians now as the Bluebonnets are really starting to pop.

Then I could see some guys from Colorado setting up an itinerary for their neck of the woods, and PNW guys doing the same.

It becomes the beginning of a user group or fan club.... We need a name... lol. Instead of Jeep Jamboree we have the Rivian Roundup...

Places I'd like to see us go include The Mojave Road, Death Valley, Oregon Dunes, Washington Overland Trail just to name a few. It would be great to have a local team plan an itinerary and guide a trip.
Sponsored