Possible Power Tailgate for R1S??

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
btw... what’s the point of a tailgate in a SUV? Doesn’t it make it harder to load heavy stuff with the tailgate since you got to bend inside to drop the stuff in? (Assuming you don’t open and close the manual tailgate every time you got to load stuff)
Keeps stuff from rolling out the back when you open the lift gate. Had a similar setup in a Range Rover and really liked it. We always had soccer balls in the back, not to mention grocery bags that would tip over and what not. So not having to go into catcher mode every time we opened the lift gate was nice.
Sponsored

ravian

First Name
Debarshi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Sienna
Keeps stuff from rolling out the back when you open the lift gate. Had a similar setup in a Range Rover and really liked it. We always had soccer balls in the back, not to mention grocery bags that would tip over and what not. So not having to go into catcher mode every time we opened the lift gate was nice.
Good point. I still wonder if it would be possible to create a strong plywood platform that would sit at the level of the top of the tail gate. That way you can just slide the heavy costco stuff in ( instead of lifting them and dumping them in or having to open up the tailgate. ). That would also create a two level storage that could be neat.

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
our X5 has the manual bottom and powered top. Have always liked it a lot. Half the time ya don’t open the bottom part.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
btw... what’s the point of a tailgate in a SUV? Doesn’t it make it harder to load heavy stuff with the tailgate since you got to bend inside to drop the stuff in? (Assuming you don’t open and close the manual tailgate every time you got to load stuff)
Kinda answered your own question, there: open the tailgate when loading large/heavy options.

Most people I've spoken with who have owned SUVs with a hatch/tailgate setup have liked it.

I currently drive a SUV with a standard hatch setup and definitely see how a tailgate would be a benefit. I find myself either riding my hardtail or hiking most weekends, and a tailgate would make loading/unloading my equipment easier and reduce the risk of damaging the bumper. A tailgate would also give me a nice platform to put my boots on or sit and eat.
Sponsored