Reaction score
Vehicles
MTA baybee..

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I really hope solid-state batteries aren't like cold fusion... achievable, but never at a usable scale. I don't think they will be, but they've been 5-10 years away for a few years now.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I really hope solid-state batteries aren't like cold fusion... achievable, but never at a usable scale. I don't think they will be, but they've been 5-10 years away for a few years now.
Kind of like a certain family of EVs endlessly being available very, very soon now, for a few years.... ?

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kind of like a certain family of EVs endlessly being available very, very soon now, for a few years.... ?
Yeah, and a certain other EV company's "full self driving" always being really really close.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Grew up going to Gt football games with my dad. I've got pictures of my brother and me sitting in the Ramblin Wreck going back 30+ years.

OP
OP
mrfari

mrfari

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MTA baybee..
Since I know we got some battery geeks like myself here... Quantum spaces CEO who has a first collab agreement with VW ( but not exclusive deal) drops some gems on his company's work, the competition and when they think they will get to scale.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
drops some gems on his company's work, the competition and when they think they will get to scale.
Did you watch the whole thing to get those tidbits, or is there a shorter section I could focus on?

Sponsored

OP
OP
mrfari

mrfari

First Name
Bo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MTA baybee..
Did you watch the whole thing to get those tidbits, or is there a shorter section I could focus on?
The beginning bit where it starts is when he talks about the solid state battery they have,

the posted video break points by Sandy are:
0:00 - Intros and Jagdeep's Background
1:56 - Solid-State Battery
3:58 - Solid-State Separator
9:22 - Separator Material
12:48 - Jagdeep's Response to Criticisms of QuantumScape
17:35 - OEM involvement
26:26 - QuantumScape's Status as a Company
35:35 - Partnership with VW
41:27 - QuantumScape's Competitors and Challenges
59:40 - Wrap Up and Final Thoughts

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The beginning bit where it starts is when he talks about the solid state battery they have,

the posted video break points by Sandy are:
0:00 - Intros and Jagdeep's Background
1:56 - Solid-State Battery
3:58 - Solid-State Separator
9:22 - Separator Material
12:48 - Jagdeep's Response to Criticisms of QuantumScape
17:35 - OEM involvement
26:26 - QuantumScape's Status as a Company
35:35 - Partnership with VW
41:27 - QuantumScape's Competitors and Challenges
59:40 - Wrap Up and Final Thoughts
Dang it, now I'm going to have to find time to watch the whole thing. I was hoping to avoid that... ?

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
I watched it at work, here were my takeaways.

1. VW partnership is legit, they just announced today building a pilot line for them to ramp up faster. They have already achieved technical milestones, hence the 100M award a few weeks ago.

2, They are building a factory in northern CA to help scale up. He talked about their timeline. From now to 2023 they essentially go from 4x-8x-12 layers and increase the cell size, that will then be ready to assemble into packs and test in the cars. Once that is done he talks about 20GwH production and then going on from there depending on demand from other OEMs.

3. Performance seems good, doesn't require additional heat or pressure. They talked about these "track cycle" tests where you essentially burn through 300mi worth of charge in 1hr, heavy acceleration and braking scenario., then recharge in 15 min. Their cells right now were at 5x the performance of 2170 cells.

A lot was about the Scorpion Capital report and its unfortunate for short term trading. That and Sandy fawning over Tesla every other sentence. He is definitely hard to watch tons of "ums" but it was nice to hear that QS has a good game plan

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I was listening to it while I was doing some other things. Their progress sounds good, timeline was surprisingly short, if they can scale for mass production before 2025 that would be incredible.

I did hear the part where the 2170s can do 20 cycles of that track test and they are doing 100, that is pretty impressive. He does talk about charge times and things they are doing to increase throughput to shorten charge times.

The one thing I did not hear was cost estimates compared to current technology. Not sure if it was there and I missed it or it is not there, that is going to be a key part.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The one thing I did not hear was cost estimates compared to current technology. Not sure if it was there and I missed it or it is not there, that is going to be a key part.
He didn’t say anything about cost and they probably won’t say anything about it until they’re manufacturing product, or at least very close to a finished line. Right now the costs of solid-state batteries are estimated to be a good bit higher than current li-ion cells. Some are estimated to cost as much as $600-800/kwh, whereas the current rates for cells are <$200 and approaching $100/kwh. Most expect the cost of solid-state batteries will drop pretty rapidly once they’re in mass production from a few companies, but we won’t know for sure until that actually happens.
Sponsored