Sponsored

POLL- Should Rivian share driver data without explicit consent?

Should Rivian share driver data without explicit consent?

• Total voters

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Um, did you read the privacy agreement you signed when you purchased? That is you giving consent.

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Um, did you read the privacy agreement you signed when you purchased? That is you giving consent.
Yes, I did.

However, 1. That consent that was given can be challenged. 2. All consent isn't legal in every state. (I'm checking our state laws.) 3. Awareness and publicity can influence agreement terms.

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Data is a major asset for any business nowadays to trade as they see fit. Should we ensure it's anonymized? Of course. Want to see Rivian succeed? Don't disrupt this revenue stream.

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

Data is a major asset for any business nowadays to trade as they see fit. Should we ensure it's anonymized? Of course. Want to see Rivian succeed? Don't disrupt this revenue stream.
I'm 100% in if it's anonymous.

Sponsored

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

I'm 100% in if it's anonymous.
It's like how Google uses my data.

If it's anonymous AND benefits me in the long run (improving my experience), then we good. I'll take that exchange for the convenience it brings me.

But there should absolutely be an *easy* way to opt out. AND, there should be an easy way to determine *what* data is being collected. (If it's so much information, ala the Facebook model, that they don't even need to know who I am to figure out...who I am, then it's no longer anonymous even if my name isn't adjacent to the data)

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

I agree. They can strip any personal data (name, address, VIN) from the data. I have no problem providing charging habits, maintenance habits, driving....just not any personal information so an insurance company and redline my insurance.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

If it's anonymous and we can keep the connectivity of the truck truck free so be it. If we have to start paying for the monthly subscription my view then changes.

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

If it's anonymous and we can keep the connectivity of the truck truck free so be it. If we have to start paying for the monthly subscription my view then changes.
That's very reasonable. What if they give it to your insurance company, but it's free?

WorldComposting

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.worldcomposting.com
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

First you need to be able to opt out no matter what. This was a reason why I didn't buy a Tesla as the person that showed us the vehicle seemed very proud when he told us it recorded all conversations and sent them back to Tesla. I never found out if it was true but didn't want that to happen.

Any data that is collected needs to be anonymous especially since you can't guarantee who is driving the vehicle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
R1 EVY

R1 EVY

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Clubs

First you need to be able to opt out no matter what. This was a reason why I didn't buy a Tesla as the person that showed us the vehicle seemed very proud when he told us it recorded all conversations and sent them back to Tesla. I never found out if it was true but didn't want that to happen.

Any data that is collected needs to be anonymous especially since you can't guarantee who is driving the vehicle.
Same

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

That's very reasonable. What if they give it to your insurance company, but it's free?
If Rivian was doing their own insurance and they were using it sure.

I do feel like if they gave out my info and my driving habits I would be getting a lot more tire ads and life insurance too probably.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Audi Q7, Ford Expedition, Porsche Cayenne
Occupation
self-employed code-slinger
Clubs

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

It's like how Google uses my data.

If it's anonymous AND benefits me in the long run (improving my experience), then we good. I'll take that exchange for the convenience it brings me.

But there should absolutely be an *easy* way to opt out. AND, there should be an easy way to determine *what* data is being collected. (If it's so much information, ala the Facebook model, that they don't even need to know who I am to figure out...who I am, then it's no longer anonymous even if my name isn't adjacent to the data)
Google settles $5 billion consumer privacy lawsuit

If you aren't paying for the service, then YOU are the service.

Steve A.

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs