j.t.sexton

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Good morning all,

I am in the beginning stages of planning a (long) road trip to St. John's, Newfoundland in June of this year. I planned to take the North Sydney, NS to Port Aux Basques, NL ferry with my R1T. Then driving the rest of the way over to St. John's. Any experience with taking an EV this far? I saw on Plugshare that this route contains plenty of DC fast chargers. Any advice on such a trip?

I really appreciate any help you can provide.

Jordan
Sponsored

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
Sounds great. I did a trip like that (ICE of course) in the late 90’s, beautiful country. Went to L’Anse aux Meadows…

I’ll be interested in following your report. I’ve seen as you that it looks like DCFC should not be an issue.

-Joel

Rashtor

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Testla Y, R1T
Occupation
Retired
I've made that trip several times, ICE of course, have you looked into the summer ferry that runs from Sydney to Argentia? It's about a two hour drive to St John's from there. It would save a lot of charging times on the long ride across the island. Last I heard they were installing chargers on the vessels. so you may be able to reserve a charger on the boat. My wife and I looked into it last year with her Tesla, but the charging infrastructure wasn't in the cards for us then.

Last edited:

R1T Preds Fan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Warehouse Management
This sounds awesome! We plan to go from Nashville to Southern Maine in July this year… Will be over 2,500 miles over a 15 day trip… Just follow ABRP and PlugShare closely to help find best charging options and have backups!

OP
OP
j.t.sexton

j.t.sexton

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I've made that trip several times, ICE of course, have you looked into the summer ferry that runs from Sydney to Argentia? It's about a two hour drive to St John's from there. It would save a lot of charging times on the long ride across the island. Last I heard they were installing chargers on the vessels. so you may be able to reserve a charger on the boat. My wife and I looked into it last year with her Tesla, but the charging infrastructure wasn't in the cards for us then.
Hey, unfortunately that ferry doesn’t run until mid June and also all of the pet friendly rooms are booked for most voyages. No I don’t see anything on the website about a charger on the boat but that would be nice If they implement that. I plan to charge to 100% in North Sydney before taking the overnight ferry. It looks like there’s plenty of fast chargers along the route. However, it looks like they cap at about 50 KW. Sadly. And good news though it looks like plenty of hotels in St. John’s have a charger.
Sponsored