elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
Yikes.

Planning out the first trip to the beach and the entire trip appears to depend on a single CCS charger on the way!

Only 2 6.6kWh chargers in apartment complexes at the destination.

If that one charger is down or occupied, the fam is going to like this Rivian even less.

ABRP couldn’t even route me back home based on my first arrival charger.

Debating bailing and taking the mini van.
Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Suggest augmenting your planning with some other charging apps like PlugShare, etc. for contingency plans like L2 charging. Taking exponentially longer to charge still beats a flatbed. . Were you planning on doing the entire trip in Conserve Mode? That would be pushing the envelope as well as in that case there wouldn’t be much else you could throw out of the hatch to save energy.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

One charger as in one plug or or station?

OP
OP
elektrode

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
PlugShare feedback says there’s one station that is either Chademo OR CCS. 1 plug.

And I’ll be doing what all the other dumb people are doing - leaving Friday and coming back Sunday. So highly likely someone will be parked there.

Auxiliary question: Is there a dumber spelling than CHAdeMO?

I’ll be in conserve. Technically the one way trip is 150 miles, but there’s zero margin on 310 miles 100% charge. Hit some wind and it’s a ruined weekend.

There’s just nothing else on this route. Once you leave the city there’s this one place with 1 plug.

One charger as in one plug or or station?

OP
OP
elektrode

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
This is like my lamest “Long Way Up” fantasy ever. LOL

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Just going for day? Maybe you can find someone nearby that would let you plug it in in their driveway for a ride around the block or something. With zero margin even recouping a few miles is better than zero.
You could also buy a TeslaTap or Lectron adapter from Amazon & broaden your search to include Tesla Destination chargers.

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
PlugShare feedback says there’s one station that is either Chademo OR CCS. 1 plug.

And I’ll be doing what all the other dumb people are doing - leaving Friday and coming back Sunday. So highly likely someone will be parked there.

Auxiliary question: Is there a dumber spelling than CHAdeMO?

I’ll be in conserve. Technically the one way trip is 150 miles, but there’s zero margin on 310 miles 100% charge. Hit some wind and it’s a ruined weekend.

There’s just nothing else on this route. Once you leave the city there’s this one place with 1 plug.
Which NC beach and which Piedmont city to start? I live at Emerald Isle. Yes, there’s a dearth of DCFC, but there are a reasonable number of L2 chargers. FWIW, I get 2.7 m/kWh usually (Conserve mode) and that works out to 330-340 miles. Maybe I can give you some local info…

OP
OP
elektrode

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
I’ll add to this I’m testing my 110v portable right now and I’m not convinced it’s even working anymore. I’ve tested it before and while it was ridiculously low, the app at least reported something was happening. I’m getting indications it’s just not working.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I had a pretty terrible experience driving from Nashville to Bentonville, AR this past weekend. There’s essentially three EA stations you must hit, all at Walmarts along I-40. So many issues with the chargers not working at all or ramping to 50 kW max. The stations aren’t maintained well at all. They are also unshaded and towards the back of the lots. Walmarts aren’t convenience stores. It legitimately has us rethinking our intention to go fully-electric given we make this drive a few times a year.

EVs may be the future, but for road-trips in middle America they certainly aren’t the present.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Just going for day? Maybe you can find someone nearby that would let you plug it in in their driveway for a ride around the block or something. With zero margin even recouping a few miles is better than zero.
You could also buy a TeslaTap or Lectron adapter from Amazon & broaden your search to include Tesla Destination chargers.
Are you saying that with a plug adapter non-Teslas can use Tesla Destination chargers? Is this true for Tesla Superchargers?

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Not superchargers. Just destination chargers which are just Tesla HPWCs.
In terms of being “allowed” it’s up to the owner of the DC, not sure why they would generally care as long as you meet their other criteria (staying there, have dinner/drinks there, pay off the front desk person, etc.)

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Not superchargers. Just destination chargers which are just Tesla HPWCs.
In terms of being “allowed” it’s up to the owner of the DC, not sure why they would generally care as long as you meet their other criteria (staying there, have dinner/drinks there, pay off the front desk person, etc.)
Got it. Thanks

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Always better to call first and ask I guess. I’d leave off the “I have an adapter…” part lest they try & shoot you down for that.

Rtpdeacon

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had a pretty terrible experience driving from Nashville to Bentonville, AR this past weekend. There’s essentially three EA stations you must hit, all at Walmarts along I-40. So many issues with the chargers not working at all or ramping to 50 kW max. The stations aren’t maintained well at all. They are also unshaded and towards the back of the lots. Walmarts aren’t convenience stores. It legitimately has us rethinking our intention to go fully-electric given we make this drive a few times a year.

EVs may be the future, but for road-trips in middle America they certainly aren’t the present.
Courious about your experience. I am considering a trip from Raleigh to Conway. I have mapped it out and ABRP has me stopping in Nashville and Memphis and getting to Conway with about 10% remaining. Not much in Little Rock but some 50’s but that would be ok for just a few electrons to get to Conway if needed. Where were your stops on the trip?

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Courious about your experience. I am considering a trip from Raleigh to Conway. I have mapped it out and ABRP has me stopping in Nashville and Memphis and getting to Conway with about 10% remaining. Not much in Little Rock but some 50’s but that would be ok for just a few electrons to get to Conway if needed. Where were your stops on the trip?
Jackson, TN, Forrest City, AR, and Clarksville, AR.

Little Rock is surprisingly sparse. Southwest side only. I’d recommend hitting Forrest City.
Sponsored