Sponsored

PA Inspection Question

Karen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
64c.impala, 75mgb, 93D.Dakota, 00Jeep,14 QX70,22R1
Clubs

Has anyone in eastern PA found a place to get your Rivian inspected? I am in the Lehigh Valley and my regular mechanic says he does not have the "rubber lift pads" to do the inspection.
Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
They can take the panels off and lift right from the frame. Or you can buy a set of the pucks and take them with you.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
They can take the panels off and lift right from the frame. Or you can buy a set of the pucks and take them with you.
If they take the panels off, you might ask them to observe how tight the screws are when they do it. With reports of panels screws loose and falling out, this would be a good time to improve on the problem with loctite or some other method.

OP
OP

Karen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Where can I obtain these 'pucks'?

OP
OP

Karen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

also, where did you get yours inspected, I know Carlisle is a bit away, but if that is where I need to go to get it inspected.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
EV Sportline has them. They are a site sponsor and offer a discount code.

Pucks
https://evsportline.com/products/rivian-r1t-r1s-billet-aluminum-heavy-duty-lifting-jack-pad-pucks

Details on Discount
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...xclusive-offer-for-rivian-forum-members.9091/

also, where did you get yours inspected, I know Carlisle is a bit away, but if that is where I need to go to get it inspected.
I took mine to Pine Hill Automotive in Hummelstown. The owner is a friend and I have taken all of my vehicles there for years, but any shop can do it if they are willing to put in a little extra effort to take the panels off or are adaptable and will use the pucks.

OP
OP

Karen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

EV Sportline has them. They are a site sponsor and offer a discount code.

Pucks
https://evsportline.com/products/rivian-r1t-r1s-billet-aluminum-heavy-duty-lifting-jack-pad-pucks

Details on Discount
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...xclusive-offer-for-rivian-forum-members.9091/

I took mine to Pine Hill Automotive in Hummelstown. The owner is a friend and I have taken all of my vehicles there for years, but any shop can do it if they are willing to put in a little extra effort to take the panels off or are adaptable and will use the pucks.
Thanks for all the info.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

Just adding to this thread, even though it is probably too late for the OP, to minimize repeating threads in the future. I got my R1T inspection at D'Avico's in Wayne, Pa (SEPA). They said they had done Rivians in the past, and do Teslas. My appointment was about 2-3 days after I called, cost $40 and about 30 minutes. They do have a small waiting room. Waiting a couple days also put me into December, instead of November.
https://davicosautorepair.com/reservations/

Another place I called was Rex Carl Automotive in Downingtown. They didn't have their state inspection paperwork done yet (it sounded like they should have it by the end of 2022), but sounded friendly on the phone, and offered to recommend other local places. It did sound like they would have no problems doing inspections once their paperwork goes through. Someone else who used to own their shop (but retired) used to do inspections for Teslas.

technerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Bronco, 2022 R1T, 2021 Model 3
Clubs

So I know it's not "right", but I just never got my Tesla inspected because I asked a few places and they turned me down, so I just left it un-inspected. Never had an issue. Cops seem to notice expired registration quickly, but never notice a PA car without any stickers...

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
So I know it's not "right", but I just never got my Tesla inspected because I asked a few places and they turned me down, so I just left it un-inspected. Never had an issue. Cops seem to notice expired registration quickly, but never notice a PA car without any stickers...
Ha! Never thought about that, but being so close to Maryland, where they don't sticker cards, they likely see a fair number of vehicles without stickers. They probably default to "Out Of State" mentally, lol.

In my area, a locally owned Rivian will stick out like a sore thumb, and it would not take too long for the same officer to see the same vehicle repeatedly, and probably get suspicious. I doubt I could pull that off here.

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I beg to differ. Got pulled over one time after I had a windshield replaced, no stickers. Had the old corner of the windshield with stickers on it to prove it was current, but took it off the dash because it slid around. I think they said you had a few days to get new stickers. I guess it depends on how boring your town is.

asll001

First Name
AL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Just adding to this thread, even though it is probably too late for the OP, to minimize repeating threads in the future. I got my R1T inspection at D'Avico's in Wayne, Pa (SEPA). They said they had done Rivians in the past, and do Teslas. My appointment was about 2-3 days after I called, cost $40 and about 30 minutes. They do have a small waiting room. Waiting a couple days also put me into December, instead of November.
https://davicosautorepair.com/reservations/

Another place I called was Rex Carl Automotive in Downingtown. They didn't have their state inspection paperwork done yet (it sounded like they should have it by the end of 2022), but sounded friendly on the phone, and offered to recommend other local places. It did sound like they would have no problems doing inspections once their paperwork goes through. Someone else who used to own their shop (but retired) used to do inspections for Teslas.
how did D'Avico's do? do they have the "pucks". I live nearby and great to know they can do it. Just took delivery last week...

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

how did D'Avico's do? do they have the "pucks". I live nearby and great to know they can do it. Just took delivery last week...
They did fine as far as I could tell. No idea if they have pucks, no idea if they weren't extremely thorough since it was brand new. I think I mentioned I had pucks, they didn't seem to interested, not sure if its because they had their own or they weren't planning on being that thorough. They did say they had done several Rivians, and were experienced with Teslas. Its been almost a year, I had a morning appointment, and probably left about an hour after I got there. They do have a small waiting room.

I may use them again, but will probably go with Guthriesville Tire & Service next time, only due to location (about 30 minutes closer). I used Guthriesville Tire & Service (closer to Downingtown area) for my tire rotation, no issues, and they do inspections. Several others here have used them also. Again, I had no problem with D'Avicos, its just not as close to me as I would like.

KBabione

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and other ICE
Occupation
Consultant
I'm near Lancaster PA and had to laugh at TechNerd not bothering to have their Tesla inspected at all. We've had our R1S since the end of August and I haven't bothered to have it inspected. I bought pucks and keep them in the vehicle. I'll take it to our local CJ's Tire when we hit 5K to rotate the tires and will have them do the inspection at the same time. I just hope they don't fail me because of the pathetic horn!

A related note...Lancaster had mounted police (they're getting rid of them) that would ride against traffic and ticket people with expired inspections. It was always funny to see a car pulled over by a cop on a horse.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I'm near Lancaster PA and had to laugh at TechNerd not bothering to have their Tesla inspected at all. We've had our R1S since the end of August and I haven't bothered to have it inspected. I bought pucks and keep them in the vehicle. I'll take it to our local CJ's Tire when we hit 5K to rotate the tires and will have them do the inspection at the same time. I just hope they don't fail me because of the pathetic horn!

A related note...Lancaster had mounted police (they're getting rid of them) that would ride against traffic and ticket people with expired inspections. It was always funny to see a car pulled over by a cop on a horse.
You should be OK with the horn. It just has to make a reasonable sound at inspection. Inside their garage, it will make enough noise to be annoying!

I drove my R1S for about 2 months with no inspection. Didn't get stopped. I live in a rural area between Reading and Allentown, we only have State Police coverage, no local police force - which means we almost never see police on the local roads. It's pretty boring here, which we like. Local traffic jams are Mennonite buggys, farm tractors and hay bales falling off wagons.
Sponsored