First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Launch Edition
Occupation
Retired
Do we know what operating system Rivian is using in their infotainment system yet?

I'm very curious about text messaging and perhaps voice commands to read and send text messages.

Also, with the new RCS chat messaging that Google has released for Android phones there are some compatibility problems with many Bluetooth messaging apps and vehicles today... (eg Volvo, for one) Hopefully, Rivian knows that and will ensure RCS chat compatibility (Android messaging).
Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Proprietary with Alexa integration is how I understand it.

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
I could swear there was a video from Rivian I watched recently where they mention it runs a custom version of Android OS. (I'm looking for it) If that means the possibility of having the PlayStore like Volvo does, I would be VERY happy.

Dr. Byrd

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2001 Mustang GT convertible
Occupation
Professor, consultant, farmer
For better or worse (my vote is worse) the Amazon partnership will probably lead them to use a variety of FireOS, which is in turn a variety of Android. The key distinction is that FireOS/Android are not designed as ”real-time” operating systems that would be suitable for vehicle management (i.e., safety critical systems like engine control, vehicle dynamics, etc.). More likely is that they will do what other manufacturers have done and use FireOS/Android for the infotainment subsystem and a proprietary real-time OS for the rest of the systems. This gets you easy access to things like apps, Alexa, and streaming, while keeping things like apps, Alexa, and streaming the heck away from the important subsystems. The trick is getting them to talk to each other and coexist smoothly. There have been some efforts to bring Android to the real-time part (BMW tried, I think?) but it’s not widespread - need a much higher level of validation and reliability for that type of use.

”Alexa, engage the emergency brake... Alexa, engage the...” *crunchy crunch*

Sponsored

C.R. Rivian

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Niro EV...R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
retired
I posted the following under general topics, but seems relevant here; features may have a cost:

The R1T will be my 2nd EV, the 1st being the Kia Niro EV. While I am generally pleased with the Kia, there is a big sore spot: over-the-air access. For the 1st year of ownership, all over-the-air services were free. After that, just 911 connect, maintenance reminder, remote charge controls (start/stop/levels). This is free for 5 years. I've attached a .pdf showing the missing services and the cost for getting them. Seems a bit much...

Wondering what services will be available from Rivian, which ones will be free, which ones will be a subscription, and what subscription costs might be.

Insights appreciated

Attachments

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
As far as I am aware, Rivian hasn’t released info regarding OTA services other than that they will exists. I would ask their customer support, see if you can squeeze any info outta them
Sponsored