Sponsored

jdhiker23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I went for a second time today. This time brought my wife and dog and got to drive and R1T. They have the trucks back on the park and the signage is back. They have rerouted the truck to a different area for the downhill decent. It seems muddier and more rutted than the original one. Still quite fun.
I talked with one of the guides who started in June and was too late to get in on the LE/early employee deliveries. They also have a fixed number of the $1k subsidies for employees and they are used up, but they are expecting another tranche soon.
The guide once assigned is supposed to stay engaged for the life of the vehicle and even goes along with the vehicle if and when you sell it.
The staff is super dog-friendly and watched our dog while we did our test drive. Also let him explore a couple of the vehicles.

BFBFBCC7-3930-40BB-8ACD-F95763768729.jpeg
112D1D9F-6EA1-429C-A518-07C5C0A8B97E.jpeg
Thanks for the update! Good to hear they have worked out a solution for the downhill and wonderful pics of the pup enjoying the tent! That’s cool they watched your dog while you were on the test drive - that’s the level of customer service that will build brand allegiance over time. Everyone I met there was super nice (both employees and the other riviots ?), so I’m looking forward to meeting my guide when that email or call arrives and meeting other R1 owners once I actually become one this spring?
Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I went for a second time today. This time brought my wife and dog and got to drive and R1T. They have the trucks back on the park and the signage is back. They have rerouted the truck to a different area for the downhill decent. It seems muddier and more rutted than the original one. Still quite fun.
I talked with one of the guides who started in June and was too late to get in on the LE/early employee deliveries. They also have a fixed number of the $1k subsidies for employees and they are used up, but they are expecting another tranche soon.
The guide once assigned is supposed to stay engaged for the life of the vehicle and even goes along with the vehicle if and when you sell it.
The staff is super dog-friendly and watched our dog while we did our test drive. Also let him explore a couple of the vehicles.

Nice shots. Thanks for sharing. The tent dimensions (56” x 96” x 48”) seem close to inside of R1S (just the rear with back seat folded)? Seeing it up close, which one would you rather sleep in?

Last edited:

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Just picked him up. He could have climbed up himself if the ladder was a slightly less steep angle (or if there was a tasty enough treat to incentivise him).
i thought the staff would ask me to take him down, but instead they asked me to leave him up while they took pictures.
Such a great looking dog!

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Nice shots. Thanks for sharing. The tent dimensions (56” x 96” x 48”) seem close to inside of R1S (just the rear with back seat folded)? Seeing it up close, which one would you rather sleep in?
I hand’s seen an R1S. I do have a Model Y with a mattress kit. She tent is roomier and aired. Would only choose inside SUV in hot weather where air conditioning is needed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Just picked him up. He could have climbed up himself if the ladder was a slightly less steep angle (or if there was a tasty enough treat to incentivise him).
i thought the staff would ask me to take him down, but instead they asked me to leave him up while they took pictures.
Clearly I need to get more athletic dogs. I ruled out the tent when I saw how high it was. No way I could get mine in there without a winch.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Can you just show up, or did you have a second invite?
I got an invite to the static portion only.

We gonna out our dog in the tent. She may not want to Leave though ?

mwexler2

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Prius Plug-in
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Can you just show up, or did you have a second invite?
I got an invite to the static portion only.

We gonna out our dog in the tent. She may not want to Leave though ?
You should be able to sign up in the website for the non-driving part of the event. To drive you need an invite.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You should be able to sign up in the website for the non-driving part of the event. To drive you need an invite.
Ahh.

I was sent the signup for the non driving part ahead of it being made publIc,so figured it was just by invite too?

Sponsored

SimplePiMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S LE, VW ID.4 AWD
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Longtime lurker here, and R1S LE pre-order holder. I attended the Sonoma First Drive event on Saturday where I got to drive an R1T and learn a couple things. Some of this may have been stated elsewhere, but a lot of it is personal opinion. So, in no particular order:

1. The truck looks bigger in person than in pictures, maybe because I don't own a truck currently. The key fob, on the other hand, feels smaller and lighter, but substantial enough.
2. When asking about the Off-Road Upgrade front tow hooks, it was mentioned that even without the upgrade there is some sort of tow point somewhere behind the front fascia. The description was light on detail, but it sounded like it might be as simple as a hole to connect a tow hook/ring. This may be a relief for those who don't really need/want the Off-Road Upgrade, but also don't want to get stuck in the wild with no easy way to be pulled free. It was also mentioned that the upgrade has no noticeable impact on range.
3. Glacier White looks *really* white in the sunshine. Not a pearl white, but rather a super white with just the tiniest hint of blue. Looks fantastic! Counterpoint: the glacier white doesn't really show off the signature light bar well, since it's also white. Solution: turn on your light bar!
4. The weather changed from foggy to overcast to sunny, so I got to see the colors in all their varied glory! The blue changes the most, but looks great in all of it. I've never been a fan of Launch Green, and unfortunately the event did not change my mind. Based on the line in front of the LG vehicle, I seem to be in the minority.
5. Ocean Coast upholstery is, thankfully, more of a very light gray than an off-white. I'm no longer as worried about stains, in spite of having a couple very active kids. The wood does have a *slightly* pinkish hue in some lighting, if you're looking for it, but not enough to detract from its natural look. The Black Mountain wood looks a little nicer to me, but I'll stick with Ocean Coast for the overall aesthetic.
6. No free swag, unless you count the little yellow bracelet and parking pass, but the swag shop has a good selection for purchase. You'll be tempted to get the stuff with the most "Rivian" branding, but remember that most of that is available online. The "First Mile" stuff is more exclusive to the event, so don't miss your chance!
7. For the drive, the 0-80 is a hoot! I mean, 0-60... Nothing surprising here, but it's a head snapper.
8. The air suspension on the off-road portion performed miraculously. I expected it to be nice, but not ride-on-a-pillow nice. Granted, this was over muddy ruts and not rocks, but still. Side to side roll was also barely noticeable.
9. On one vehicle the front camera was simply broken (totally blurred out front view). No reason to think this will impact other trucks, but it must be mentioned.
10. Driver+ was supposed to show the truck driving in front of us while parked. It did not. "Preproduction, something, something" was the answer provided.
11. There was some lag for the volume control between moving the dial and seeing the volume number change. Nothing an OTA update couldn't fix.

Overall, it's a well-built vehicle and seeing it in person has justified my excitement. Rivian HQ, if you're listening, let me save you some time: this event can count as my official test drive, and I'm ready for delivery!

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Longtime lurker here, and R1S LE pre-order holder. I attended the Sonoma First Drive event on Saturday where I got to drive an R1T and learn a couple things. Some of this may have been stated elsewhere, but a lot of it is personal opinion. So, in no particular order:

1. The truck looks bigger in person than in pictures, maybe because I don't own a truck currently. The key fob, on the other hand, feels smaller and lighter, but substantial enough.
2. When asking about the Off-Road Upgrade front tow hooks, it was mentioned that even without the upgrade there is some sort of tow point somewhere behind the front fascia. The description was light on detail, but it sounded like it might be as simple as a hole to connect a tow hook/ring. This may be a relief for those who don't really need/want the Off-Road Upgrade, but also don't want to get stuck in the wild with no easy way to be pulled free. It was also mentioned that the upgrade has no noticeable impact on range.
3. Glacier White looks *really* white in the sunshine. Not a pearl white, but rather a super white with just the tiniest hint of blue. Looks fantastic! Counterpoint: the glacier white doesn't really show off the signature light bar well, since it's also white. Solution: turn on your light bar!
4. The weather changed from foggy to overcast to sunny, so I got to see the colors in all their varied glory! The blue changes the most, but looks great in all of it. I've never been a fan of Launch Green, and unfortunately the event did not change my mind. Based on the line in front of the LG vehicle, I seem to be in the minority.
5. Ocean Coast upholstery is, thankfully, more of a very light gray than an off-white. I'm no longer as worried about stains, in spite of having a couple very active kids. The wood does have a *slightly* pinkish hue in some lighting, if you're looking for it, but not enough to detract from its natural look. The Black Mountain wood looks a little nicer to me, but I'll stick with Ocean Coast for the overall aesthetic.
6. No free swag, unless you count the little yellow bracelet and parking pass, but the swag shop has a good selection for purchase. You'll be tempted to get the stuff with the most "Rivian" branding, but remember that most of that is available online. The "First Mile" stuff is more exclusive to the event, so don't miss your chance!
7. For the drive, the 0-80 is a hoot! I mean, 0-60... Nothing surprising here, but it's a head snapper.
8. The air suspension on the off-road portion performed miraculously. I expected it to be nice, but not ride-on-a-pillow nice. Granted, this was over muddy ruts and not rocks, but still. Side to side roll was also barely noticeable.
9. On one vehicle the front camera was simply broken (totally blurred out front view). No reason to think this will impact other trucks, but it must be mentioned.
10. Driver+ was supposed to show the truck driving in front of us while parked. It did not. "Preproduction, something, something" was the answer provided.
11. There was some lag for the volume control between moving the dial and seeing the volume number change. Nothing an OTA update couldn't fix.

Overall, it's a well-built vehicle and seeing it in person has justified my excitement. Rivian HQ, if you're listening, let me save you some time: this event can count as my official test drive, and I'm ready for delivery!
Excellent report. As an almost three year Tesla driver — 3,Y, and now X — I expect minor fixes and glitches and Rivian will execute the necessary repairs typically at our homes, at work locations, or on-line, with major repairs at service centers. R1T well worth the price/risk of early adoption as you point out after one drive and look see! Let’s go R1S LE, me too.

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Checked with customer service if any drive slots had opened up and lo and behold I had the choice of two times. So now I’m going to the preview and also getting a drive. ?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Welp. poked around some R1Ts this afternoon. Drove, although it was abbreviated due to being end of the day and a good chunk of the course being closed. the drive coach wouldn’t let me use fun settings Because it was wet. all purpose and off road mode only.
0-60 uphill on wet pavement was impressive, floating over big ruts was impressive. Seats are great. Touch points great. All the well thought details are great.

Absolutely sold on the thing, waiting is much harder now. I wanna go again.

didnt get to see forest edge interior in full(that truck had been rotated out, but the samples got the point across well enough.

these things have been taking a beating for the last three weeks. noticed tires Down the the wear bars on most of the demo trucks
Sponsored

Last edited: