AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

In my defense, I did say conscious not friendly - and the extent of environmental friendliness is in large part based on the owner. You can chose to get your power from clean energy providers or from solar.

Everything is also relative - next to the extremely inefficient gas guzzling trucks that an R1T would supplant, it is a much more friendlier option.

Regarding weight, Full Size pickups are classified as such as long as they have a GVWR under 8,500 pounds and the R1T is certainly under that. There are a lot of heavy vehicles on the road and I doubt the RIVIAN is really making a dent in the road deterioration equation.

Where RIVIAN, and every other EV have a lot of room to make up is regarding tires. EV's without question, go through tires faster because of the load rating. Tires are not environmentally friendly and we need a better solution for materials, sourcing, and manufacturing.
Agreed. I wasn’t saying you’re wrong. Just pointing out that a lot of us are happily going to get something that’s barely making a change.
I include myself in that group.

That being said, I’ve been told a few weeks ago that the issue with OC is that the color is not stable.
Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Some people are flipping for pure profit, others are tired of tired of problems and repeat service visits for the same problem, so they are bailing, with profit. I understand both mindsets. Good price or not, I’m not going to deal with a vehicle that’s a headache.

I know GM has talked about potentially voiding warranties on vehicles flipped in less than a year. But GM and Rivian are in two different spots, one is established, and re-established post bankruptcy, and the other is trying to establish themselves. Rivian is trying good will/best intentions for honoring old pricing. It’s good publicity, and has a finite bottom, only so many orders before March 1. People already feel like beta testers for early builds, raising prices on vehicles with potential problems, service center issues, and no extended track record can lead to a short company life.
Rivian had something north of 80,000 pre-orders that fell into the pre-March 1st category - which is the wide majority of the current backlog.
Agreed. I wasn’t saying you’re wrong. Just pointing out that a lot of us are happily going to get something that’s barely making a change.
I include myself in that group.

That being said, I’ve been told a few weeks ago that the issue with OC is that the color is not stable.
I think the biggest detriment to making the kinds of changes we need mass adoption for is the idea that as a single person or a small group of people, you can't possibly make a dent in such a massive problem.

But remember, you will instantly become a brand ambassador once you get your R1 vehicle and, whether you want to or not, will influence the decisions of other people who may never have considered going electric. That can have a force multiplying effect that can slowly, but surely, start to move the needle on changing hearts and minds.