Sponsored

fromawayfarm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Kona EV
I'm very excited they disseminated the knowledge from the Q&A. Secondly, coming from RJ that vehicles will begin in Sept is not something you just say off the cuff. It was calculated and I believe very real, because words and actions matter. Also, interesting on the Hawaii barge thing, it seems selectively they may release vehicles without always having SCS ... But the rules may be complicated ;-)
Sorry to be a dork here, but I can't seem to find this Q&A thing you are talking about where is it?
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

fromawayfarm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Kona EV
OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

yeah, it's confirmed I am an idiot. I didn't realize it was embedded in that video, I was looking for a separate item. Thanks

Also in the first post ;)

mike22co

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X3 (x2), s00n R1S
Occupation
Person
I wish I knew for certain what it's made of. It looked the same as the rest of the body, but paint will do that.

The thing I appreciated most about it is that RJ talked about how sturdy the rotating mount is. That gives me at least some confidence that the door itself is fairly sturdy (read: aluminum) but I didn't tap it to find out.

If (and when ???) I ever get back to Normal, or to one of the other events, I'll do more than just hug and drive the R1T. If I'd thought more about it in advance, I would have sifted through these threads and made a list of all of the questions and sought answers to all, without trying to sound, or come off like a complete noob.

Oh well, being back there was still one of the two best experiences of my life.....

At a full month now, I guess that's what the "Perma" in Perma-grin means. Still Full Grin Action goin' on.... ?
Thanks for the info! You are truly a legend on these forums. There is no way you could possibly have put together all the questions and there is no way they would believe you were the one asking them! Every one would have to be "And here is another question from the forum members..." as the kind folks at Rivian rolls their eyes again.

Now I can get back to continuing to add more Adventure gear to my R1S configuration (seriously, anyone else have that problem, too?)

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Thanks for the info! You are truly a legend on these forums. There is no way you could possibly have put together all the questions and there is no way they would believe you were the one asking them! Every one would have to be "And here is another question from the forum members..." as the kind folks at Rivian rolls their eyes again.

Now I can get back to continuing to add more Adventure gear to my R1S configuration (seriously, anyone else have that problem, too?)
Mike,

Thanks for your very kind words! I'm as happy as a vandal with a rattle-can to be able to add something to the discussion here. I feel so very fortunate to have been selected to join in the fun at the factory. It's an experience I will cherish until my expiration date arrives. At the end of that first night, I was having so much fun, I offered to save them the trip back to the hotel and just spend the night there in the Engagement Center. However, they said they were more than pleased to give me a ride back to the Hotel. I said, "Don't blame a guy for trying."

Regarding configurations, I suffer from FOMO every day. Just when I think I have every accessory lined up, something new comes along. They've already managed to build an amazing assortment of fun and functional add-ons, but that list continues to grow. I can't wait to see what the aftermarket will bring to the dance. Enjoy building the vehicle of your dreams!

We're getting close to seeing these things in our driveways....

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
If the truck downloads a huge block of data upon arriving home (and connecting to my WIFI) will that impact my online video viewing (YouTube of course)? Will they schedule the data dump for late hours or will it be user configurable? Will the app in my phone upload data? Will I have to have location on? Does the app want to have access to my camera, directory, e-mail, text messages? Just give me a key and leave the phone out of it...
Anyone with OnStar or any other connected car can be tracked now with hardly any effort. An old adage says "just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not watching me"! It goes without saying, any business can be hacked and critical data stolen, the list is vast and growing. Is Rivian offering a prize for hackers to break into their operating system to expose weaknesses before some nefarious 14 year old takes an interest and drops some amusing code that operates just 1 brake to cause the truck to spin at precisely 58 mph? I seem to be lost in the weeds here...
All that said, the news of deliveries beginning next month is great news, tank turn or no. It's important to remember Ford has invested $500,000,000 in Rivian and may well be advising on production. We are likely to see a rapid ramp up of production. This reminds me of an old black-light poster from the 60's of 2 vultures perched on a naked branch saying "patience my ass, lets kill something". Knowing there will be deliveries so soon has made me impatient because deliveries are more real and not just some delayed cloudy future promise. End of rant... I feel so much better.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
This reminds me of an old black-light poster from the 60's of 2 vultures perched on a naked branch saying "patience my ass, lets kill something". Knowing there will be deliveries so soon has made me impatient because deliveries are more real and not just some delayed cloudy future promise. End of rant... I feel so much better.
Rivian R1T R1S New video "Let's Just Drive" & official letter from RJ provides huge update! 1629943683538

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
What color are you getting Lil'O Annie? I take it you remember the times...

Sponsored

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
If the truck downloads a huge block of data upon arriving home (and connecting to my WIFI) will that impact my online video viewing (YouTube of course)? Will they schedule the data dump for late hours or will it be user configurable? Will the app in my phone upload data? Will I have to have location on? Does the app want to have access to my camera, directory, e-mail, text messages? Just give me a key and leave the phone out of it...
Not sure if Rivian will make any of the data scheduling configurable. I'm guessing "no". You probably don't have to connect the vehicle to wifi, if you don't want to. I don't connect my SUV to wifi -- I let it do everything over the cellular connection.

But if your concern is simply bandwidth, then you can configure QoS (Quality of Service) on most consumer-grade routers. This will let you prioritize streaming/gaming and bulk-data transfers will get de-prioritized if bandwidth is tight.

And Rivian has shown us the "carabiner" key... so if you prefer using that, you can.

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
I was asked early on if there was WIFI at my home. I wonder about the 4g Rivian is using, having a cellular connection native to the truck is useful. Will there be a monthly fee? I have a consumer grade mesh router and don't really know that much about it. I know I can configure the guest network to minimize usage or rather prioritize my primary usage. I could assign the Truck to the guest net and be done with it. I don't really have any concerns regarding data usage, it's just that I like to entertain the inner contrary from time to time. Compass Yellow, Ocean Coast. Currently 21's but after seeing the video, 20's may be in order with more available future tire choices even though the best range seems to be assigned to the 21's. I'm not a real off roader, I sold my Jeep years ago, it was nothing but electrical trouble 5 PCM's...

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Not sure if Rivian will make any of the data scheduling configurable. I'm guessing "no". You probably don't have to connect the vehicle to wifi, if you don't want to. I don't connect my SUV to wifi -- I let it do everything over the cellular connection.

But if your concern is simply bandwidth, then you can configure QoS (Quality of Service) on most consumer-grade routers. This will let you prioritize streaming/gaming and bulk-data transfers will get de-prioritized if bandwidth is tight.

And Rivian has shown us the "carabiner" key... so if you prefer using that, you can.
Really wish they had put in a 5G antenna. The connection is going to feel real outdated in a couple years
Sponsored