New Tesla Model S/X

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470
I would agree, to say Rivian will be out of the gate with something as good as Tesla's AutoPilot with Tesla's years and years of experience, billions of miles of collected data, and some of the best minds in the business is just not realistic. Will Rivian get there one day, possibly if that becomes one of their core areas of interest.
I definitely didn't say that.
Sponsored

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X. Toyota Land Cruiser.
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Anyone else think its time for Rivian to announce something? I could get the R1S or the Model S for the same price. The Model S has a longer range, full autonomous driving capability, an established charging network, etc. If I were Rivian I would be afraid of people jumping ship. I know the cars serve two different purposes, but that is a big upgrade on Teslas part.
Yes, upgrade+, long time coming, now here. Range especially.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Love the update! As I have a reservation on both R1T & CyberTruck Tri-Motor, I can't wait to see what final CyberTruck interior looks like.
To have such innovative choices — from just two companies — both Rivian’s, the Cybertruck, the new S & X, and the Roadster — coming back to back, all of them
American, makes decision making excruciatingly delicious to sort out. Any hope for sorting out home chargers in a mixed garage?

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

To have such innovative choices — from just two companies — both Rivian’s, the Cybertruck, the new S & X, and the Roadster — coming back to back, all of them
American, makes decision making excruciatingly delicious to sort out. Any hope for sorting out home chargers in a mixed garage?
I installed three Gen 2 Tesla HPWC to a(n) 100 amp circuit in my garage and bought a Tesla to J1772 adaptor for my yet to be produced R1T.

Lobstahz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3, Audi A4
I bet there is very little overlap between people considering Rivian and those considering Tesla Model S.

There is probably more overlap with Rivian and Model X -- but the Model X upgrades were less impressive and Rivian capabilities are still superior (not to mention a real steering wheel).
Agreed, I think there is decent overlap for the R1S and Model X. There are no other "reasonably sized" 7 seat BEVs (Model Y 7 seat doesnt count in this case). With such limited options that will mean that there is a lot of overlap.

I'm one of them :). A growing family that will need to fit 3 car seats and gear but not wanting to drive an ICE leaves few options. I was really hoping with this refresh that they were going to "fix" the things I didn't like about the X and move in a more conventional direction. But Tesla is clearly moving in the opposite direction of my preferences and as a long time supporter it's disappointing. My current Model 3 is likely to be first and only Tesla. I've been following Rivian for a while and plopped down an order when the configurator opened to the public, that decision is looking smarter and smarter now.

Sponsored

Lobstahz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Tesla Model 3, Audi A4
I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet. The car will "pick" drive/reverse for you :oops:. I hope they implement this better than the Model 3 auto wipers. This seems like an absolute recipe for disaster. They just got cleared of the whole "unintended acceleration"situation and are going to open up _this_ pandoras box next? This was a solution looking for a problem and I don't expect it will go well.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I installed three Gen 2 Tesla HPWC to a(n) 100 amp circuit in my garage and bought a Tesla to J1772 adaptor for my yet to be produced R1T.
Have Tesla Gen 3 chargers. Adapter a fix for charging Rivian’s. What about direct communication with Rivian on WiFi through their charger as Gen 3 provides Tesla? Will this be an issue?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
One could connect up to 4 Gen 2 HPWC together such that the 80 A available from a 100A circuit could be shared between up to 4 cars. Communication between the master and 3 slave HPWC was done via sheilded twisted pair interconnecting them. A PITA because they want the STP run in its own conduit. Communication between the car and Tesla (and hence on to you) was handled over the car's WiFi connection. Thus if you want to be charged to 87% in time for an 0837 departure you would put those parameters in the App which would send them to the Mother Ship and the Mother Ship would send them to the car. When charging is complete a message goes in the reverse direction via the same path.

In the Gen 3 the STP is gone and the management of sharing is done via WiFi. I don't think they would change the way the vehicle and owner interact as the final link between Mother Ship and vehicle may be needed at a location where there is no WiFi (e.g. a motel or camp ground that doesn't have it - hard to imagine I know). But WiFi control makes it possible to control charging in many ways one couldn't before. The operator of a group of HPWC can disable them at certain hours or change the maximum amount of current a particular one can deliver or the composite amount a group of them can deliver even though some be on different circuits in different buildings. Getting reports of usage from individual units is possible thus enabling billing schemes for commercial property operators etc.

Many of the other EVSE manufacturers offer WiFi on their units. Rivian in buying from one of them and someone on here figured out who that was. The WiFi on those units will do things like let you know when the car starts, when it finishes and how much juice you used. But, as with the Teslas, the Rivian trucks will do so through Rivian's Mother Ship (or, to be more precise, I'll be very surprised if that isn't the case). Thus you should be able to charge your Rivian from any Tesla HPWC (2 or 3) or any J1772 compatible charger irrespective of the availability of WiFi.

Last edited:

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Have Tesla Gen 3 chargers. Adapter a fix for charging Rivian’s. What about direct communication with Rivian on WiFi through their charger as Gen 3 provides Tesla? Will this be an issue?
I'm sorry, but I have no idea. That's part of the reason why I stayed with the Gen 2 units - one less thing for me to try to figure out.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

One could connect up to 4 Geb 2 HPWC together such that the 80 A available from a 100A circuit could be shared between up to 4 cars. Communication between the master and 3 slave HPWC was done via sheilded twisted pair interconnecting them. A PITA because they want the STP run in its own conduit. Communication between the car and Tesla (and hence on to you) was handled over the car's WiFi connection. Thus if you want to be charged to 87% in time for an 0837 departure you would put those parameters in the App which would send them to the Mother Ship and the Mother Ship would send them to the car. When charging is complete a message goes in the reverse direction via the same path.

In the Gen 3 the STP is gone and the management of sharing is done via WiFi. I don't think they would change the way the vehicle and owner interact as the final link between Mother Ship and vehicle may be needed at a location where there is no WiFi (e.g. a motel or camp ground that doesn't have it - hard to imagine I know). But WiFi control makes it possible to control charging in many ways one couldn't before. The operator of a group of HPWC can disable them at certain hours or change the maximum amount of current a particular one can deliver or the composite amount a group of them can deliver even though some be on different circuits in different buildings. Getting reports of usage from individual units is possible thus enabling billing schemes for commercial property operators etc.

Many of the other EVSE manufacturers offer WiFi on their units. Rivian in buying from one of them and someone on here figured out who that was. The WiFi on those units will do things like let you know when the car starts, when it finishes and how much juice you used. But, as with the Teslas, the Rivian trucks will do so through Rivian's Mother Ship (or, to be more precise, I'll be very surprised if that isn't the case). Thus you should be able to charge your Rivian from any Tesla HPWC (2 or 3) or any J1772 compatible charger irrespective of the availability of WiFi.
One could connect up to 4 Geb 2 HPWC together such that the 80 A available from a 100A circuit could be shared between up to 4 cars. Communication between the master and 3 slave HPWC was done via sheilded twisted pair interconnecting them. A PITA because they want the STP run in its own conduit. Communication between the car and Tesla (and hence on to you) was handled over the car's WiFi connection. Thus if you want to be charged to 87% in time for an 0837 departure you would put those parameters in the App which would send them to the Mother Ship and the Mother Ship would send them to the car. When charging is complete a message goes in the reverse direction via the same path.

Thank you for you answer! To simplify my question, “What do I gain with a Rivian charger instead of connecting the R1S to our Gen 3 Tesla units with an adapter?” If the answer is “nothing” than it’s clear that a adapter is the solution with no need for an extra power line, etc,.

Sponsored

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet. The car will "pick" drive/reverse for you :oops:. I hope they implement this better than the Model 3 auto wipers. This seems like an absolute recipe for disaster. They just got cleared of the whole "unintended acceleration"situation and are going to open up _this_ pandoras box next? This was a solution looking for a problem and I don't expect it will go well.
Yep, this will be interesting. I am surprised people are ok with this because it takes away their ability to make a choice. :)
I do believe there are 'physical' buttons' to override what it does. I am curious as to what it would pick if you are in a parking spot and the sport in-front of you is open. Will it pick forward or reverse?

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Thank you for you answer! To simplify my question, “What do I gain with a Rivian charger instead of connecting the R1S to our Gen 3 Tesla units with an adapter?” If the answer is “nothing” than it’s clear that a adapter is the solution with no need for an extra power line, etc,.
It would appear that the answer is "nothing". But this relies on the assumption that the Rivian vehicle will behave in the same way that the Tesla does. This is probably a fairly safe assumption. Of course you won't have a Rvian logo on your EVSE and fitting the Tesla Tap onto the Tesla wand and removing it again is a little inconvenient.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Yep, this will be interesting. I am surprised people are ok with this because it takes away their ability to make a choice.
Yes, not to keen on this but I'm open minded.
I do believe there are 'physical' buttons' to override what it does.
According to the tweets that have been posted here the overrides are on the touch screen. Voice might be another way to override.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Also, this charging issue changes with the size of the garage and the number and variety of BEV’s. A small garage that serves a Rivian and a Tesla may need only one charger with an adapter. Large garages with multiple BEV’s should consider both Rivian and Tesla chargers, or so I surmise.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

It would appear that the answer is "nothing". But this relies on the assumption that the Rivian vehicle will behave in the same way that the Tesla does. This is probably a fairly safe assumption. Of course you won't have a Rvian logo on your EVSE and fitting the Tesla Tap onto the Tesla wand and removing it again is a little inconvenient.
I am all for convenience. ?
Sponsored