First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I'm building a solar garage and debating questions like this. In either case you need a 60A drop to a potential charging location. If you aren't that concerned about neatness bring the drop into a junction box on the wall and then run a short conduit to whichever you box you ultimately choose to install. With this arrangement you can even change from one style to another. If you want to be really neat (everything behind dry wall) its a little trickier but it's still doable.
Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yep, this will be interesting. I am surprised people are ok with this because it takes away their ability to make a choice. :)
Sometimes I think Tesla pursues change for the sake of change because a lot of their customer base gets excited about things that are radically different. More importantly though, I also think they are pushing the envelope in pursuit of truly autonomous driving. That's all fine and dandy. For a lot of Tesla fans, being one of Tesla's guinea pigs while they identify and learn how to handle all of the edge cases is all part of the thrill of being a Tesla owner.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
For a lot of Tesla fans, being one of Tesla's guinea pigs while they identify and learn how to handle all of the edge cases is all part of the thrill of being a Tesla owner.
I agree with this. Tesla fans love being early adopters. It's amazing to see how many people will PAY to be beta testers.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150, BMW 3GT
Occupation
Business owner
Anyone else think its time for Rivian to announce something? I could get the R1S or the Model S for the same price. The Model S has a longer range, full autonomous driving capability, an established charging network, etc. If I were Rivian I would be afraid of people jumping ship. I know the cars serve two different purposes, but that is a big upgrade on Teslas part.
Price (value) will definitely become part of the equation. You can order a Model S today, and have it in March. It does have greater autonomous driving capabilities, and a much better charging network. If you go with the Long Range you are at 412 miles of range. Rivian has never sold a vehicle. And, if you want 400 mile range, you have to wait until after Jan 2022. Let the competition begin!

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Price (value) will definitely become part of the equation. You can order a Model S today, and have it in March. It does have greater autonomous driving capabilities, and a much better charging network. If you go with the Long Range you are at 412 miles of range. Rivian has never sold a vehicle. And, if you want 400 mile range, you have to wait until after Jan 2022. Let the competition begin!
If you don’t need a truck, you’re much better off buying the Tesla. Charging network, range, autonomous driving, and the new base model s seems to have upgraded power, it will probably be even with the rivian in acceleration.

Biggest difference being it’s a car vs a truck. That’s why I don’t understand anyone comparing the rivian with all these crossovers like the id4/mache.

The rivian will be the quickest truck ever built, and should also be quite capable off-road, unlike all the other new ev’s currently launching. In a year when we have the hummer ev, cybertruck, and potential slew of other electric SUV’s and trucks on the skateboard platforms everyone is developing, the market will change quit a bit. It’s going to be an interesting year, that’s for sure!
Sponsored