Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
My problem is that I dont have any accounts with anyone, except for Tesla and Chargepoint. I wasnt planning on road tripping yet with the Riv. No clue what ABRP is...

Its a learning curve.... For sure.
create an account with EA.
Sponsored

Last edited:

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

My problem is that I dont have any accounts with anyone, except for Tesla and Chargepoint. I wasnt planning on road tripping yet with the Riv. No clue what ABRP is...

Its a learning curve.... For sure.
Happy to help. It's one of those things that's easy once you've done it, but slightly intimidating if you haven't done it before. It's like getting your first car at 16, but no one ever taught you how to pump gas.

Here's what you do:

1. A Better Route Planner (ABRP) can be used through this link, and there's also an app that's worth downloading. Once you have your vehicle in the system, you can put in your destination. ABRP will tell you where to charge and for how long in order to minimize trip time. It's doing the same thing that the Rivian Navigation system is doing, although it has a somewhat more accurate route-planning algorithm. The Rivian Nav system is slightly conservative, so it tells you to charge more than you need. Rivian Nav is getting better, so this might not be as necesary in a few years.

2. Check the chargers that come up in your route on Plugshare. This is a little less important than it used to be, but still worth doing. Each charger will have recent reviews. This is the best way to find out if a charger on your route is broken.

2. Set up accounts with Electrify America (EA) , EVConnect, and EVGo. Those are the big ones. There's a few smaller ones that I wouldn't install unless you see one come up in your route planning.

3. Do a test charge at each network in your local area. Denver has plenty of EA stations and a few EVGo stations. The goal is to just make sure you know how to activate each network before you're 250 miles from home.

4. Look for hotels that have level 2 (L2) chargers if you're doing anything overnight. These are commonly free. Sometimes these are J-1772 plugs (the same you have in your garage), and sometimes these are Tesla plugs. You'll need a Tesla to J-1772 adapter to use a Tesla L2 charger. DO NOT confuse this with an NACS adapter.

5. Have fun!

TollKeeper

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Rivian R1S, 04 GMC Envoy XUV, 12 Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Ast HR Director
Did the ABRP... And it would have me worried..

On one leg of the journey, it has me going 348 miles inbetween charges.

Dont know about you, but my 24 QM R1S with 22" aint going 348 miles inbetween charges!
Sponsored