First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Doesn't have to be wired-- Apple gets full quality audio through CarPlay (which runs over bluetooth AND wifi). But, yes, bluetooth audio is compromised.

I use Audible for books, yes-- which I interface with in the other 5 cars using CarPlay :p
Well hopefully there is a solution for that soon. Amazon owns Audible so maybe the existing Alexa integration, etc will lead to that.

I am almost positive you can only get lossless audio through CarPlay via USB connection.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183
Sponsored

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e46 M3, e39 M5, e46 M3 converted wagon, i3, e60 M5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Well hopefully there is a solution for that soon. Amazon owns Audible so maybe the existing Alexa integration, etc will lead to that.

I am almost positive you can only get lossless audio through CarPlay via USB connection.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212183
Perhaps I shouldn't have said full quality, as that does imply lossless. How about... indistinguishable from full quality audio?
(unlike bluetooth streamed audio)

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Maybe its my untrained ears, but bluetooth on a good system sounds fine. I've been listening to HD and HD Ultra on Amazon music...24 bit/44.1 kHz and honestly just sounds like more treble and not much more depth to my ears compared to "Standard" setting in Amazon Music. I understand the trained audiophiles issue with bluetooth, but 99% of people are fine with bluetooth sound quality.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Perhaps I shouldn't have said full quality, as that does imply lossless. How about... indistinguishable from full quality audio?
(unlike bluetooth streamed audio)
Got it. My mistake.

Over the last couple years I have swapped out the audio system in my Tacoma for stuff that Hi Res capable and the difference is amazing. Both Amazon and Apple Music have full libraries of lossless music now. Even HD Radio and Audible sounds much better, even though they aren’t hi res.

Obioban

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
e46 M3, e39 M5, e46 M3 converted wagon, i3, e60 M5
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Got it. My mistake.

Over the last couple years I have swapped out the audio system in my Tacoma for stuff that Hi Res capable and the difference is amazing. Both Amazon and Apple Music have full libraries of lossless music now. Even HD Radio and Audible sounds much better, even though they aren’t hi res.
I found Apple's move to spatial audio hugely impactful with my Atmos home setup...

... I can't hear any difference between their default 256kbps AAC streamed files and the lossless files, of either level of lossless.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Maybe its my untrained ears, but bluetooth on a good system sounds fine. I've been listening to HD and HD Ultra on Amazon music...24 bit/44.1 kHz and honestly just sounds like more treble and not much more depth to my ears compared to "Standard" setting in Amazon Music. I understand the trained audiophiles issue with bluetooth, but 99% of people are fine with bluetooth sound quality.
I can’t tell the difference with every song, but I would say at least half of them sound better to me. usually it sounds cleaner to me, which i agree sometimes sound brighter or more treble depending on the song. What I have found is that all of it is very dependent on equipment. I’m not someone who will spend thousands on high end stuff, but you still need to have headphones that can play hi res, or in a vehicle you need a receiver and amp that can produce hi res. In my Tacoma I installed a Pioneer receiver with a Kenwood amp and Morel speakers. All of it together cost about $1000. Obviously I saved $ by doing the install, but I did it part by part over a couple years.

What you said is true - most people can’t tell the difference between regular and hi res audio. They have done studies proving it. So maybe I just WANT to believe my ears hear a difference LOL.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I found Apple's move to spatial audio hugely impactful with my Atmos home setup...

... I can't hear any difference between their default 256kbps AAC streamed files and the lossless files, of either level of lossless.
To me some songs sound the same in lossless as regular, while others sound significantly better to me in lossless. I have no freaking idea why that is. Same thing with spatial audio. Maybe it’s audio placebo effect LOL. I want it to sound better so it does…

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, I’m at 10 cars…
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

I just want Apple Music support... and a native PocketCasts app...

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I just want Apple Music support... and a native PocketCasts app...
I love PocketCasts, but I don't see that happening. Bluetooth will work fine for that though.

Sponsored

Gobnu

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback, Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Pilot
I will 100% cancel when my number comes up if it isn’t clearly spelled out what exactly you will lose without a “membership”. I absolutely hate buying something expensive and never actually owning it. People seem to be resigned to the fact that everything is like that now, but why does it have to be? Seems to just be an excuse to push out a crappy product with the promise of it getting better with future updates IF you pay for a subscription. Everything I care enough to have a subscription for is already on my phone. Why would I want to pay twice for the same services? (Internet connectivity, music service of choice, maps, etc)

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I will 100% cancel when my number comes up if it isn’t clearly spelled out what exactly you will lose without a “membership”. I absolutely hate buying something expensive and never actually owning it. People seem to be resigned to the fact that everything is like that now, but why does it have to be? Seems to just be an excuse to push out a crappy product with the promise of it getting better with future updates IF you pay for a subscription. Everything I care enough to have a subscription for is already on my phone. Why would I want to pay twice for the same services? (Internet connectivity, music service of choice, maps, etc)
I hear you. But you may as well cancel now then. Even if they wanted to comply with your request, there is no way they can tell you what you will loose without a membership. That's just not how any of this (software driven features) works. ?

Progressive development. They dont and can't know what they know, or don't know...... until they know it. They can't tell you that you will loose "something" because that have not dreamed of that thing as of today. I hope that makes sense.

That is one reason why it is so important to feel like you have a certain level of understanding regarding "who they are" and by extension, a level of trust that is acceptable.

Rivian635

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5, Acura MDX Hybrid, Honda CRV
THIS is what I want to avoid.
Why TF do we have this beautiful screen and have to mount our phone?!?!?! :angry:
1638204939149.png
Yeah - I have a 2016 BMW that was the year before they had Carplay - it is a royal pain to run nav (Waze) via a hardwired connection (exactly as seen in the pic). It is maybe the only thing that I really wish R1T had - but we will see what the native stuff is like and live on. I already have heard a current Rivain owner says he uses 'Plugshare' running on his phone when taking road trips in his R1T as he feels it is better than the Rivian charging maps. I have come to appreciate the speed trap info on Waze. But I am bullish on Rivian addressing a lot of this stuff over the next 18 months.
Sponsored