Sponsored

My Guide Experience

Barda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivan Blue R1T
So mid September I was conducting my daily check of the website looking for any changes. To my surprise, I now had a guide named Mark assigned. I immediately reached out and asked him if he was my guide and if my process was finally moving (a little surprising because I was told Dec/Jan date), he replied ā€œit must beā€. Very exciting and nervous knowing things got real.
I received the email to lock my configuration the next day. I had my mind made up and locked my Rivian blue R1T on 20ā€ ATs.
as the days went by I kept in touch with Mark as I shopped around for financing. He was fairly responsive but always took a few hours or a day to get back to me. Finally everything lined up for me to pick my truck up on September 24th. That morning Mary from the Denver service center reached out to me to ask how I was planning on paying my remaining balance. I told her I could bring a personal check for my down payment or use my credit card if theyā€™d let me to gain the points with plans to pay it right off. No luck on either of those options as she informed me they only accept certified checks or payment through Plaid (their online payment system). I never used Plaid, but I immediately set up an account and transferred my down payment. That was it, it was all setā€¦ I was ready to pick up my R1T at my 4:30 appointment.
At 4:00, on my way out the door, I received a text from Mary. ā€œHey Nick, it looks like city tax wasn't calculated in your amount. We are getting it fixed but there will be an additional amount due. We can do plaid for that as well. I am not currently sure how much that will be. It's being worked on right now.ā€ I was a bit shocked, I thought the $85k I came to stomach was my final numberā€¦ no, Mary informed me they need to collect an additional $3550 from me before I can take delivery. This after I closed on my loan and exhausted my savings for my down payment. I had to tell Mary I would need to cancel my pickup and talk to my guide, Mark to see what my options are. I had to wait til the following Monday to get a hold of Mark. I asked him if he was aware of what happened and what my options were. He called me to apologize and said heā€™d look into it and get back to me.
I never received a call back from Mark that day. I had to reach back out to him the next day via text. I got his automated response of ā€œThanks for reaching out. I'm looking forward to chatting with you soon. If you've reached me outside of my business hours (M-F 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM CT), I'll be in touch as soon as possible.ā€. I waited all day and never received a response. I text him the next day and still no response. I had to reach out to Mary to get Mark to finally call me. Little did I know, this was going to be a regular occurrence trying to get a hold of Mark. When we spoke he told me there was not much they could do and that I would have to talk to my credit union to refinance my loan. Understandably, I knew Iā€™d have to pay the $3550 city taxes, but I was hoping Mark or Rivian might do something for the inconvenience. I asked him if there was anything that could be done to help offset it. He agreed it was an inconvenience and said he will look into doing something to credit me. I felt good at that point and grateful something was going to happen to help me cover that cost.
Days went by, I text mark each morning asking if he heard anything. Same non-response. Finally able to get Mark to call me by reaching out to Mary. Mark, was apologetic as always, so sorry for not getting back to me and after a discussion and emphasizing with me, he said he will talk to his supervisor to see what they can do and swore heā€™d get back to me by the end of the day. I never heard back from Mark that day. I reached out to him via text the next day, no response.
I sent an email to Mark expressing my frustration and disappointment. What once was an exciting moment I had waited over a year for, has turned into one of the worst experiences I have ever had. An oversight on Rivianā€™s part put me in a tight spot and his lack of communication had Only made it worse. I was frustrated and asked for wanted to know what my options were for the following scenarios.
1. what could be done with my current truck?
2. If I had to refinance, could I switch to a Glacier White color to help offset the cost.
3.What is the process to cancel my order entirely (not something I wanted to do, but I was devastated)

I never received a reply from Mark. I ended up forwarding that email along with an explanation to the customer service department. I waited a couple of days, but never received a response. Still trying to reach Mark with my daily text in the morning, I contacted customer service by phone. I explained my situation to Darcie. She apologized and said she would have a guide lead contact me. I waited 2 days, but never received a call. I called customer service back and told them I was expecting a call from a guide lead. The gentleman on the phone apologized and said heā€™d have a lead follow up asap. Instead of a guide lead, I received a call from Mark the . Again apologizing and said he could unmatch me from my current truck and we could look for a Glacier white R1T. I was happy, we were making progress. That was the plan moving forward. Until I realized my credit union increased their rate by 1%. Refinancing, I may be subject to to rate increase. I immediately text Mark and told him not to unmatch me from my truck. To my surprise, he called me right back. He agreed that would not be ideal. I told him I could pull together the $3550 (at this point a couple weeks had elapsed and I was able to scrape together some money). I asked if they might be able to give me Rivian store credit for what I had to go through. He agreed that something should be done and that he would absolutely look into it. I was excitedā€¦ I was gonna finally get my truck.
Mark reached outa few minutes later asking what specifically I was looking at in the Rivian store. Personally I didnā€™t have anythingspecific in mind, just hoping Iā€™d be able to put it towards something down to road. Since I didnā€™t want to tempt fate by leaving it open, I told him I was looking at a spare tire or that gear tunnel shuttle. No response after that. Again I waited til the next day and followed up asking if that was feasible. Again I received his automated response, but no reply. I messaged him again asking him to call. He called me about an hour later, again apologizing and mentioned that he would speak with his boss and get back to me. Well at this point I think you probably know how that went.
A few days passedā€¦ I sent my morning text asking for an update, never racing a response. Finally I ended up contacting customer service again. I explained my situation and asked to please be assigned a new guide. The representative apologized and said theyā€™d have someone contact ne immediately. That person ended up being Mark. Again, he apologized profusely for not getting back to me sooner. I told him I was passed the apologies and just needed a solution. I mentioned it had been 3 weeks since I was scheduled to pick up my truck. He had strung me along to a point where I was no longer excited about the R1T. I told him I would pay the $3550 in taxes to close the process. For the inconvenience I asked if he could simple look to get me a spare tire. That is allā€¦ He agreed that something should be done and he was going to talk to a supervisor to see if that was feasible šŸ˜Ŗ. I asked him to please keep me on the line while he did so. He kept me on hold for a bit before asking if he could call me back.
I ended up receiving a text from Mark a couple hours later saying he was waiting for a call back but would let me know as soon as he heard anything. That was Friday. A text to Mark this morning with no response. I called customer support requesting a new guide. And that is where I am.

So with all that said, what would you all do? Am I being petty or expecting too much asking for a spare? Did any of you have any issues when finalizing their deal?

I just donā€™t know what to do or what can be done. Thanks for hearing me vent if you made it this far lol.

i did visit the service center and saw my truck sitting there. The only Rivian blue R1T in the lot. So close, yet so far away.

Rivian R1T R1S My Guide Experience 01FE7BA4-B7B1-45D1-A0C2-A0BEF7B18736
Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Sorry that happened.

I think this was a rather simple mistake on their part. They are a growing company, a lot of gears in motion, Iā€™m sure this happens. I always calculate my own numbers before agreeing to any large purchase. I personally donā€™t ask for things when im inconvenienced, if itā€™s a really great company theyā€™ll make it right some how knowing they messed up, if not, then it is what it is. But you asked for a spare? Like wheel and tire? The going rate on that at retail post March pricing is $1000. My opinion is, that was a big ask. Like a free water bottle maybe?

Theyā€™re just asking to get paid what they are due for the vehicle being sold in the state, should you have known prior to financing though, totally. Seems like they were also willing to get you in a cheaper truck, as far as poor responsiveness seems like a common trend.. again growing company many gears in motion

Denver_Dan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Range Rover Velar, 2017 Colorado ZR2
Occupation
SaaS Sales
Oh man. Sorry to hear about this situation. Personally, Iā€™d be absolutely furious and would most likely be calling and texting every Rivian contact I had until there was a solution. Is this the right thing to do? Probably not but my sales manager would appreciate the persistence.

the way I look at this is that Rivian had the wrong total amount for you to request financing for - on them. Terrible guide experience and overall communication - on them. Should they make it up to you some how some way - yes absolutely. The spare tire might be a stretch. They donā€™t offer spare tires yet in the gear shop, just full sets of tires and each truck is specifically ordered with or without a spare so this potentially could be a hold upā€¦ I dont know.

at the end of the day, youā€™ve waited a full year and likely have been extremely excited the entire time. Donā€™t let a bad experience with a guide ruin that. Youā€™ll get your truck soon enough and will completely forget about this because of how much youā€™ll love the truck. Iā€™m in Denver area too. If you wanna take a spin in my R1T, let me know. I know Iā€™d be itching for a few 0-60s if I were you.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Iā€™m on my second Guide and havenā€™t been impressed with the experience at all. Iā€™d like to give them the benefit of the doubt that they arenā€™t empowered or equipped to do their jobs well, but it shouldnā€™t take shaking the entire customer service tree just to get an acknowledgment of a request. Like your experience, they frequently donā€™t reply. Itā€™s like pulling teeth to get the most basic customer service. When itā€™s all said and done Iā€™ll be spending over $170k with Rivian, but it feels like I bought a $3k used car off the ā€œbuy here, pay hereā€ lot down the street.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Minimum Viable Purchase Experience.

Like many things Agile or ā€œleanā€, often not much attention is paid to what happens when events donā€™t take the expected path. So the Rivian back office is probably staffed to handle the straight line process, not one thatā€™s full of exceptions. Rivian or their providers have a track record of not knowing the intricacies of doing auto sales in every municipality in the country. This often leads to a poor customer experience and just adds fuel to various Attorneys General arguments against allowing direct sales in their state. Rivianā€™s direct sales ā€œmodelā€ is compelling but their execution sucks.

Sponsored

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Rivian definitely should have had the correct amount with taxes, but humans make mistakes. Are you sure they calculated the right state/city sales tax for you? If not, you should check. I believe I have read in other threads where people were overcharged for sales/city taxes, so maybe the $3,500 was not even correct. Always, always, always check the numbers, especially when purchasing a $80k car! I even check my grocery receipt every time I go shopping and find items like one bottle of wine double counted and scanned twice.

As for your guide, he sounds like he sucks. I donā€˜t think getting another guide is necessary. Just tough it out with Mark. You are almost at the finish line. A new guide may be even worse.

OP
OP
Barda

Barda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivan Blue R1T
Oh man. Sorry to hear about this situation. Personally, Iā€™d be absolutely furious and would most likely be calling and texting every Rivian contact I had until there was a solution. Is this the right thing to do? Probably not but my sales manager would appreciate the persistence.

the way I look at this is that Rivian had the wrong total amount for you to request financing for - on them. Terrible guide experience and overall communication - on them. Should they make it up to you some how some way - yes absolutely. The spare tire might be a stretch. They donā€™t offer spare tires yet in the gear shop, just full sets of tires and each truck is specifically ordered with or without a spare so this potentially could be a hold upā€¦ I dont know.

at the end of the day, youā€™ve waited a full year and likely have been extremely excited the entire time. Donā€™t let a bad experience with a guide ruin that. Youā€™ll get your truck soon enough and will completely forget about this because of how much youā€™ll love the truck. Iā€™m in Denver area too. If you wanna take a spin in my R1T, let me know. I know Iā€™d be itching for a few 0-60s if I were you.
Thanks guys, Iā€™ll be honest this community is a big reason I love Rivian so much. Very knowledgeable and outgoing.
i appreciate the opportunity and empathy Dan. I may actually hit you up or possibly even meet up when/if I get my truck lol.
I guess Iā€™m most hurt by my guides lack of communication and him being so apologetic and agreeable when I do actually get to speak with him. Itā€™d be one thing if he just said ā€œI wish there was something more we could do, but we simply canā€™tā€. I wouldā€™ve moved on, paid the outstanding balance and been pulling some 0-60s like Dan.
instead, Iā€™ve been led on and canā€™t get a direct answer. You hit the nail on the head astoniusā€¦ youā€™re buying a $90k truck and being treated like youā€™re buying a beater from a buy here pay here lot. This is the first new vehicle I have ever bought in my lifeā€¦ I have dreamed about electric vehicles since I was a kid. I really wish Rivian put more into the customer experience.
I truly get it that they are just starting out and trying to figure things out as they go, but this should be so much better. Customer service is an artā€¦ you can say no with a smile and people feel ok about it.

OP
OP
Barda

Barda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivan Blue R1T
Rivian definitely should have had the correct amount with taxes, but humans make mistakes. Are you sure they calculated the right state/city sales tax for you? If not, you should check. I believe I have read in other threads where people were overcharged for sales/city taxes, so maybe the $3,500 was not even correct. Always, always, always check the numbers, especially when purchasing a $80k car! I even check my grocery receipt every time I go shopping and find items like one bottle of wine double counted and scanned twice.

As for your guide, he sounds like he sucks. I donā€˜t think getting another guide is necessary. Just tough it out with Mark. You are almost at the finish line. A new guide may be even worse.
Good pointā€¦ Iā€™ll run the numbers tomorrow. Hopefully I donā€™t find out I owe more lol.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Thanks guys, Iā€™ll be honest this community is a big reason I love Rivian so much. Very knowledgeable and outgoing.
i appreciate the opportunity and empathy Dan. I may actually hit you up or possibly even meet up when/if I get my truck lol.
I guess Iā€™m most hurt by my guides lack of communication and him being so apologetic and agreeable when I do actually get to speak with him. Itā€™d be one thing if he just said ā€œI wish there was something more we could do, but we simply canā€™tā€. I wouldā€™ve moved on, paid the outstanding balance and been pulling some 0-60s like Dan.
instead, Iā€™ve been led on and canā€™t get a direct answer. You hit the nail on the head astoniusā€¦ youā€™re buying a $90k truck and being treated like youā€™re buying a beater from a buy here pay here lot. This is the first new vehicle I have ever bought in my lifeā€¦ I have dreamed about electric vehicles since I was a kid. I really wish Rivian put more into the customer experience.
I truly get it that they are just starting out and trying to figure things out as they go, but this should be so much better. Customer service is an artā€¦ you can say no with a smile and people feel ok about it.
They're not all winners....just get your truck and move on....SooN(couldn't help it) you'll forget all about this.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

So mid September I was conducting my daily check of the website looking for any changes. To my surprise, I now had a guide named Mark assigned. I immediately reached out and asked him if he was my guide and if my process was finally moving (a little surprising because I was told Dec/Jan date), he replied ā€œit must beā€. Very exciting and nervous knowing things got real.
I received the email to lock my configuration the next day. I had my mind made up and locked my Rivian blue R1T on 20ā€ ATs.
as the days went by I kept in touch with Mark as I shopped around for financing. He was fairly responsive but always took a few hours or a day to get back to me. Finally everything lined up for me to pick my truck up on September 24th. That morning Mary from the Denver service center reached out to me to ask how I was planning on paying my remaining balance. I told her I could bring a personal check for my down payment or use my credit card if theyā€™d let me to gain the points with plans to pay it right off. No luck on either of those options as she informed me they only accept certified checks or payment through Plaid (their online payment system). I never used Plaid, but I immediately set up an account and transferred my down payment. That was it, it was all setā€¦ I was ready to pick up my R1T at my 4:30 appointment.
At 4:00, on my way out the door, I received a text from Mary. ā€œHey Nick, it looks like city tax wasn't calculated in your amount. We are getting it fixed but there will be an additional amount due. We can do plaid for that as well. I am not currently sure how much that will be. It's being worked on right now.ā€ I was a bit shocked, I thought the $85k I came to stomach was my final numberā€¦ no, Mary informed me they need to collect an additional $3550 from me before I can take delivery. This after I closed on my loan and exhausted my savings for my down payment. I had to tell Mary I would need to cancel my pickup and talk to my guide, Mark to see what my options are. I had to wait til the following Monday to get a hold of Mark. I asked him if he was aware of what happened and what my options were. He called me to apologize and said heā€™d look into it and get back to me.
I never received a call back from Mark that day. I had to reach back out to him the next day via text. I got his automated response of ā€œThanks for reaching out. I'm looking forward to chatting with you soon. If you've reached me outside of my business hours (M-F 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM CT), I'll be in touch as soon as possible.ā€. I waited all day and never received a response. I text him the next day and still no response. I had to reach out to Mary to get Mark to finally call me. Little did I know, this was going to be a regular occurrence trying to get a hold of Mark. When we spoke he told me there was not much they could do and that I would have to talk to my credit union to refinance my loan. Understandably, I knew Iā€™d have to pay the $3550 city taxes, but I was hoping Mark or Rivian might do something for the inconvenience. I asked him if there was anything that could be done to help offset it. He agreed it was an inconvenience and said he will look into doing something to credit me. I felt good at that point and grateful something was going to happen to help me cover that cost.
Days went by, I text mark each morning asking if he heard anything. Same non-response. Finally able to get Mark to call me by reaching out to Mary. Mark, was apologetic as always, so sorry for not getting back to me and after a discussion and emphasizing with me, he said he will talk to his supervisor to see what they can do and swore heā€™d get back to me by the end of the day. I never heard back from Mark that day. I reached out to him via text the next day, no response.
I sent an email to Mark expressing my frustration and disappointment. What once was an exciting moment I had waited over a year for, has turned into one of the worst experiences I have ever had. An oversight on Rivianā€™s part put me in a tight spot and his lack of communication had Only made it worse. I was frustrated and asked for wanted to know what my options were for the following scenarios.
1. what could be done with my current truck?
2. If I had to refinance, could I switch to a Glacier White color to help offset the cost.
3.What is the process to cancel my order entirely (not something I wanted to do, but I was devastated)

I never received a reply from Mark. I ended up forwarding that email along with an explanation to the customer service department. I waited a couple of days, but never received a response. Still trying to reach Mark with my daily text in the morning, I contacted customer service by phone. I explained my situation to Darcie. She apologized and said she would have a guide lead contact me. I waited 2 days, but never received a call. I called customer service back and told them I was expecting a call from a guide lead. The gentleman on the phone apologized and said heā€™d have a lead follow up asap. Instead of a guide lead, I received a call from Mark the . Again apologizing and said he could unmatch me from my current truck and we could look for a Glacier white R1T. I was happy, we were making progress. That was the plan moving forward. Until I realized my credit union increased their rate by 1%. Refinancing, I may be subject to to rate increase. I immediately text Mark and told him not to unmatch me from my truck. To my surprise, he called me right back. He agreed that would not be ideal. I told him I could pull together the $3550 (at this point a couple weeks had elapsed and I was able to scrape together some money). I asked if they might be able to give me Rivian store credit for what I had to go through. He agreed that something should be done and that he would absolutely look into it. I was excitedā€¦ I was gonna finally get my truck.
Mark reached outa few minutes later asking what specifically I was looking at in the Rivian store. Personally I didnā€™t have anythingspecific in mind, just hoping Iā€™d be able to put it towards something down to road. Since I didnā€™t want to tempt fate by leaving it open, I told him I was looking at a spare tire or that gear tunnel shuttle. No response after that. Again I waited til the next day and followed up asking if that was feasible. Again I received his automated response, but no reply. I messaged him again asking him to call. He called me about an hour later, again apologizing and mentioned that he would speak with his boss and get back to me. Well at this point I think you probably know how that went.
A few days passedā€¦ I sent my morning text asking for an update, never racing a response. Finally I ended up contacting customer service again. I explained my situation and asked to please be assigned a new guide. The representative apologized and said theyā€™d have someone contact ne immediately. That person ended up being Mark. Again, he apologized profusely for not getting back to me sooner. I told him I was passed the apologies and just needed a solution. I mentioned it had been 3 weeks since I was scheduled to pick up my truck. He had strung me along to a point where I was no longer excited about the R1T. I told him I would pay the $3550 in taxes to close the process. For the inconvenience I asked if he could simple look to get me a spare tire. That is allā€¦ He agreed that something should be done and he was going to talk to a supervisor to see if that was feasible šŸ˜Ŗ. I asked him to please keep me on the line while he did so. He kept me on hold for a bit before asking if he could call me back.
I ended up receiving a text from Mark a couple hours later saying he was waiting for a call back but would let me know as soon as he heard anything. That was Friday. A text to Mark this morning with no response. I called customer support requesting a new guide. And that is where I am.

So with all that said, what would you all do? Am I being petty or expecting too much asking for a spare? Did any of you have any issues when finalizing their deal?

I just donā€™t know what to do or what can be done. Thanks for hearing me vent if you made it this far lol.

i did visit the service center and saw my truck sitting there. The only Rivian blue R1T in the lot. So close, yet so far away.

01FE7BA4-B7B1-45D1-A0C2-A0BEF7B18736.jpeg
Note to self: Avoid Mark the guide at all costs.

Sponsored

rivianguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
My perspective might be slightly contrarian to some of the other responses you've received but you asked for a response so here goes...

My opinion is based purely on what you wrote in your thread, I don't know you personally but can make some reasonable inferences from what you've written.

Conclusion #1: The main reason you aren't currently driving your vehicle is self-created delays asking for freebees.

Hate to give you tough love here but if you would have paid the price owed and quit asking for recompense you'd already be down the highway. That's the cold hard truth.

Conclusion #2: The clerical error that was made regarding your tax isn't unique to you, isn't particularly egregious and in my humble opinion doesn't warrant Rivian compensating you in a material way.

Many (including myself) have had issues in the process of buying the vehicle, and these are just bumps in the road for a new company. If something really material came up then I'd probably have a different opinion but this doesn't really hit the 'wow this is a super unique circumstance' bar for me.

Conclusion #3: You sound like a really high maintenance customer
I don't mean to be rude at all but in reading through your lengthy thread I can only begin to guess at the number of texts, phone calls, chat sessions and so on that you engaged in over the course of your journey. Being impatient when a guide takes hours and then some days to respond just doesn't seem reasonable to me. In my cases I would go 3-4 days (or more) without getting a response, but I'd rather have a response with substance than a daily (or hourly) drumbeat of empty 'I'm working on it.'

Conclusion #4: I'm a bit concerned that you may be overextending yourself financially
It's none of my business, but if a $3500 unexpected bill pushes you from being able to purchase not being able to purchase an item it may be that this represents too big of a financial risk for you at this time. Everyone has different risk tolerances for sure, and everyone's situation is different but for me personally if I was that close to the razer's edge on a purchase it would be a warning flag that I might be overextending myself a bit.

Anyway, not sure if what is written above is what you were hoping to hear (perhaps you were just venting) but those were my key takeaways from your post.

RivianNowPlz

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco, Tesla
My perspective might be slightly contrarian to some of the other responses you've received but you asked for a response so here goes...

My opinion is based purely on what you wrote in your thread, I don't know you personally but can make some reasonable inferences from what you've written.

Conclusion #1: The main reason you aren't currently driving your vehicle is self-created delays asking for freebees.

Hate to give you tough love here but if you would have paid the price owed and quit asking for recompense you'd already be down the highway. That's the cold hard truth.

Conclusion #2: The clerical error that was made regarding your tax isn't unique to you, isn't particularly egregious and in my humble opinion doesn't warrant Rivian compensating you in a material way.

Many (including myself) have had issues in the process of buying the vehicle, and these are just bumps in the road for a new company. If something really material came up then I'd probably have a different opinion but this doesn't really hit the 'wow this is a super unique circumstance' bar for me.

Conclusion #3: You sound like a really high maintenance customer
I don't mean to be rude at all but in reading through your lengthy thread I can only begin to guess at the number of texts, phone calls, chat sessions and so on that you engaged in over the course of your journey. Being impatient when a guide takes hours and then some days to respond just doesn't seem reasonable to me. In my cases I would go 3-4 days (or more) without getting a response, but I'd rather have a response with substance than a daily (or hourly) drumbeat of empty 'I'm working on it.'

Conclusion #4: I'm a bit concerned that you may be overextending yourself financially
It's none of my business, but if a $3500 unexpected bill pushes you from being able to purchase not being able to purchase an item it may be that this represents too big of a financial risk for you at this time. Everyone has different risk tolerances for sure, and everyone's situation is different but for me personally if I was that close to the razer's edge on a purchase it would be a warning flag that I might be overextending myself a bit.

Anyway, not sure if what is written above is what you were hoping to hear (perhaps you were just venting) but those were my key takeaways from your post.
100% spot on. You said it nicer than I would, but this is seemingly the common Rivian buyer and (in general) new car buyer in a nut shell from 2020-2022. Overextended. Uniformed. High maintenance.

Rivian did nothing egregious here, and the guy is buying an $85k truck with $0 savings. Honestly OP.. you should not be buying this car.

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
I was with you for part of the way realizing that Rivian made the mistake regarding the tax. Then as I read more, you definitely lost me.
1. Why are you purchasing this vehicle if $3500 if it makes it impossible for you to afford it? Rivian should know about a city tax, but shouldn't you too if you are living there? Even if Rivian got all the pricing correct, something unexpected could happen not involving Rivian in which you need $3500 to cover it
2. You would be driving it now if you didnt' try to get a free spare, right? I never heard of a car dealership taking credit cards either, so it sounds like trying to get free stuff is very important to you. Fine if that is the case, but the world isn't going to operate so that you get free stuff very fast. If it matters more than having the R1T, then you should accept and not complain about further waiting that you induced, not Rivian.
3. Lastly I saw this in your post "An oversight on Rivianā€™s part put me in a tight spot ". I didn't see one time where you took blame for any of this. Rivian put you in such a tight spot that you couldn't handle the tax payment that was due??

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I would definitely check that Rivian calculated your taxes correctly. As others have said, Rivian has made mistakes on that with quite a few others and issued refunds. You should never trust their numbers on any purchase this size. Iā€™ve had car dealers add in little ā€œfeesā€ that are not mentioned but are totally optional. Thatā€™s not what Rivian is doing, but they possibly made a mistake..

Your guide really needs to be trained on the basics of customer service, starting with communication. At our business we are feeling the same staffing pinch that many businesses are going through and we train our people to just tell our customers the truth and not lie to them by saying we will do things we arenā€™t able to do that day. Nothing gets people upset more than being lied to or even feeling like they are being lied to.

Itā€™s possible your guide is just stretched too thin and canā€™t manage everything on his plate, but he needs to give you realistic call back times. He probably knows very well he wonā€™t have the necessary answers to call you back the same day so he shouldnā€™t be promising that. But if he gives you a time he will call you back he should actually do it, even if he can only say he didnā€™t get your answers yet. Itā€™s really not that complicated.

If I were you I would double check those numbers. Otherwise I would just get my truck and move forward. In truth they owe you nothing extra for the trouble.
Sponsored