Sponsored

My first disappointment - cup holders (maybe)

Kat

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So I have been scouring the internet looking for decent pictures of the interior. I finally came across this one that shows the pop out cupholders for the front passengers. I have to assume (at this point) that this is a real picture and not a mock up. I would much prefer a fixed position cup holder at that location with a raised console that extend to the dash. I realize a raised console isn't needed because there is no transmission tunnel however I am trying to think of reasons why this design is better? There is clearly a lower console that extends all the way to the dash, but I can't tell how high it comes up. Maybe only a few inches off the floor? I am trying to figure out what purpose it serves with such a low tray. I "think" I would prefer the that entire section raised a bit higher with fixed cup holders molded into the section directly below where these pop out holders extend. (if that makes any sense).
I reserve the right to change my mind when I see the real thing but I am the type of person who always has a drink especially on road trips.... and pop out cup holders never seem to be as strong as a molded style. Anyone seen this in person and can confirm and/or give their observations?

Rivian Cup Holders 1.jpg
I have one of the first production Model S vehicles with the open area that looks very similar to Rivian models. As a woman, yes i have put my purse there many times, perfect place! Also it is just convenient for backpacks, etc or whatever it is you want close access to. What is the best is an open space that makes it feel so much roomier inside. Most are so use to everything being cramped in all around you. Like the original Model S, Rivian embraces the minimalist utility to offer a roomier, sleek design. As a R1S reservation holder I am thrilled the open space is there!! Yay Rivian!
... This picture is from the R1T pics from the 2018 LA Auto show. I happened to take a photo with the cup holder showing.

Rivian R1T R1S My first disappointment - cup holders (maybe) IMG_3568 (1)
Sponsored

Last edited:

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
The cup holder looks pretty sturdy and, as mentioned above, #10, I prefer the open, unencumbered look for three reasons: it looks better aesthetically, it's more versatile since there's no plastic console limiting what's possible, and I grew up in the days when cabins were open with bench seats. I guess that dates me, but I did list my reasons in their respective order of importance.

Rivians are marvels of industrial design on the outside. Let's keep it that way on the inside too.