Sponsored

My first disappointment - cup holders (maybe)

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
So I have been scouring the internet looking for decent pictures of the interior. I finally came across this one that shows the pop out cupholders for the front passengers. I have to assume (at this point) that this is a real picture and not a mock up. I would much prefer a fixed position cup holder at that location with a raised console that extend to the dash. I realize a raised console isn't needed because there is no transmission tunnel however I am trying to think of reasons why this design is better? There is clearly a lower console that extends all the way to the dash, but I can't tell how high it comes up. Maybe only a few inches off the floor? I am trying to figure out what purpose it serves with such a low tray. I "think" I would prefer the that entire section raised a bit higher with fixed cup holders molded into the section directly below where these pop out holders extend. (if that makes any sense).
I reserve the right to change my mind when I see the real thing but I am the type of person who always has a drink especially on road trips.... and pop out cup holders never seem to be as strong as a molded style. Anyone seen this in person and can confirm and/or give their observations?

Rivian R1T R1S My first disappointment - cup holders (maybe) Rivian Cup Holders 1
Sponsored

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

This image can be found on their Instagram page. It is just a couple inches below the wireless charging pad on the center console. Not quite as low as you believe. Yes, I have seen it in person. No, I do not have a better picture, nor have I tried to put any weight on it as my only experience with the truck other than photos and the occasional touch, was sitting in the back seat.

Rivian R1T R1S My first disappointment - cup holders (maybe) cupholders.PNG

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Given how anal they are about design, I suspect the cup-holders will either work great or be drastically redesigned. Molded doesn't seem like their style though. They really seem to be into space efficiency.

Is there more than one blue R1T prototype or is it just not looking as black in this light?

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Is there more than one blue R1T prototype or is it just not looking as black in this light?
These images are pretty old as they are from their Instagram stories from the beginning of 2019...This is the interior of the silver R1T.

OP
OP
bajadahl

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Thanks for your thoughts on this guys... I had pop out cup holders similar to this for the rear seat passengers on my LX470 and I didn't like them at all. Mainly because they weren't deep enough to hold a 20oz bottle upright for any length of time. Of course I will withhold judgement on these until I get to see them and try them out in person. Of course if this is my biggest complaint I'll be pretty happy.

Sponsored

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The big deal with the space in front of the console are purses. I can't tell you how many times I am the passenger and woman hands me her purse. I get it, 99% of vehicles (maybe the ones I have seen) do not have a spot for a woman's purse. And most women I am around carry them when they get in a car to go somewhere. So I am become the default holder of said purse. That space is perfect for it and my lap will no longer be the purse storage first choice.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
The big deal with the space in front of the console are purses. I can't tell you how many times I am the passenger and woman hands me her purse. I get it, 99% of vehicles (maybe the ones I have seen) do not have a spot for a woman's purse. And most women I am around carry them when they get in a car to go somewhere. So I am become the default holder of said purse. That space is perfect for it and my lap will no longer be the purse storage first choice.
This isn't the first time I heard this exact quote for other vehicles. The problem gets around.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
Personally, I don't care for filled-in console spaces. It makes the front feel confined, constricted, more like a fighter cockpit than a versatile, do-anything vehicle. And with Rivian's big, center mounted screen, filling in the console area would only heighten the sense of confinement and restriction. Open is better, IMHO.

Sponsored

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
Come to think of it. possibly unwieldy cupholders right on top of the wireless charging pad don't strike me as the best idea.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
I was initially also skeptical about the cup holder in the prototype. Thinking more about WHY, I came to realize it's because historically such designs I've seen have been made of cheap plastic and been flimsy. It doesn't need to be that way however. If Rivian implements it better, the pop-out design could be better than the status-quo because:
- since 90% of the time I'm not using the cup holder (YMMV):
- the interior looks better and cleaner IMO​
- more efficient utilization of available space​
- no difficult to clean hole where little bits of stuff tend to accumulate

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

- no difficult to clean hole where little bits of stuff tend to accumulate
to your last point, most of the time, my fob, slim wallet, and chapstick end up in the cupholder with what pocket lint is in there.

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I wish for a cup holder big enough to hold a Hydro Flask/Nalgene.
Currently, I have to keep I between my legs or let it roll around the floor of the Jeep.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
This image can be found on their Instagram page. It is just a couple inches below the wireless charging pad on the center console. Not quite as low as you believe. Yes, I have seen it in person. No, I do not have a better picture, nor have I tried to put any weight on it as my only experience with the truck other than photos and the occasional touch, was sitting in the back seat.

cupholders.PNG
How much room did you have back there?
Sponsored