Sponsored

My First and Likely Last Post

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I've had both, along with several Model S cars. The Model 3/Y by comparison to the S/X or Rivian, feels like a bucket of bolts. There's a reason it's so much cheaper, because it is a much cheaper build quality. I hated mine after having come from the S and being spoiled by the build quality of an S over a Y or 3. Instantly appreciated why one was twice the price and worth every penny, at least in my book. With Tesla's new direction on the S & X, couldn't get on board. Have had my Rivian for 9 months and haven't missed my Model S hardly one bit. If I had to choose between a Rivian and Model Y/3, there would be no decision to make. Rivian more S/X like in build quality and solidity than it is to a 3/Y.

I work out of my car and spend a lot of time in it, so the benefits of the S/X are big for me over a 3/Y. The Rivian fully satisfies the same needs.

All depends on what's most important to you. Tesla had issues in their early days and still do. Rivian often gives out loaners when available or pays for your rental car.

How often do you travel? If you do it on a weekly basis and need public charging that often, then there's an argument for the Tesla, but, we have 20 companies working to improve EV charging for all EV's versus one company going it alone. They had a head start, but we'll be caught up pretty quickly. If you're like most and only travel occasionally, then 95% of your charging will be at home and won't matter.

In real world driving at normal highway speeds, the Rivian travels further on a single charge than does the Tesla.

Best of luck in your decision. If you don't mind a stiff (sporty) ride, don't care for air suspension and don't mind a bare bones interior with just one screen, the Model Y may suit your needs. Just be careful to not bend your hood when closing the small manual frunk of the Tesla. You'll give up the much larger auto open/close Rivian Frunk, gear tunnel, air compressor, insane horsepower and acceleration, off-road capability, 90% of the tow capability, need to hook up a trailer any time you want to move that lumber you mentioned, etc, etc.

There's very clear reasons why one is more expensive, just have to carefully look at what more you get for the extra money and determine if those are important to you?
Sponsored

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

I mean at least the Y isn't quite a compliance car.
Where I live the Y is solidly in Ford Taurus wagon territory. Dime a dozen family car. Oh look a Tesla. Words that have not been uttered in years. Not saying it’s bad. It’s vanilla.

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

Greetings, Rivian Lovers!

I am writing this post with a bit of sadness, because I have decided to cancel my R1T order. I placed the order in April of 2022 and at the moment my estimated delivery is April - May of 2023 - so close! One side effect to having to wait so long for a vehicle is that it gives you months/years to debate your decision and whether or not it is/was a good one. Two months ago I was "all in" and envisioning my life with a shiny new blue R1T. I had watched countless videos on YouTube showing how capable they are off-road, how great the storage is, how beautiful they are, etc. I couldn't wait to buy some lumber and throw it in the back of the truck, or take it camping nearby. I am starting to see more and more R1Ts on the road in the DC/VA/MD area (including the occasional R1S). But then I watched some videos by the "Now You Know" guys who own a Rivian and have had some pretty major issues with theirs and some not-so-stellar experiences with Rivian service.

Long story short, instead of the R1T, I am going to get a Tesla Model Y instead for the following reasons:
  1. I have the possibility of getting a $7,500 tax rebate. I don't have that option with a Rivian, and $7,500 is a lot of cash to leave on the table.
  2. The difference in price between the two vehicles is $35K ($92,500 for the R1T and $57,500 for the Model Y the way I configured them). I can have my bathrooms remodeled with that money. That's a lot of beer money.
  3. Both companies have quality/build/service issues, but in my opinion, despite what the J.D. Power Satisfaction Survey says, Rivian is just too young and working through too many kinks.
  4. The Tesla charging network is vast and the super chargers "just work". I know they will be opening them up to other EVs in the near future, but I don't want to have any trouble charging or finding a charging station with a Rivian.
  5. We live in a pretty remote/rural location and sometimes only have one vehicle at our house. If that one vehicle is a Rivian and it gets bricked like it did for the "Now You Know" guys, we'd have to have it towed 100 miles to Richmond (the closest service location) and then what - catch an Uber to the closest city to rent a car? I have no idea. Our internet is also not great, and I worry that if the R1T decided to pull down an OTA update, it could fail and possibly brick the truck.
  6. I am getting a trailer hitch on the Model Y so I will still be able to haul lumber, tree branches, etc.
I love everything about the Rivian, and have ever since I saw them in the "Long Way Up" documentary. They are gorgeous and look like they are a blast to drive. But for me, they need a few more years under their belt to be as reliable as Tesla who have been in the game for many more years. My guess is that in 3-5 years I will be buying a Rivian (R2T?). Heck, in 3-5 years there will be a lot of other EV choices on the market. Mark my words though, I will never buy a Tesla Truck as those are hands down the ugliest thing I've ever seen!
Let us know how those bathrooms turn out!

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

I mean at least the Y isn't quite a compliance car.
Hey! Don’t knock the compliance cars! I LOVE my eGolf which is completely a compliance/“please stop talking about dieselgate” car.

We paid $14k in 2018. It’s light and zippy like a TDI but all-electric. Doesn’t need a big battery to get us to work and the grocery store. The R1T is for road trips, hauling the camper and doing dump runs.

Last edited:

srnyoung

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'15 eGolf, '04 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

It’s pretty clear that this isn’t “cross-shopping” at all.

OP was stretching financially to get an amazing luxury super truck that overserved their needs in most ways. They determined it was too much of a stretch and so decided to settle for a different EV which doesn’t quite meet their needs but will do in a pinch.

I’m just glad they stuck with electric rather than a Tacoma or similar that offers similar utility to the T if obviously none of the wow or luxury characteristics. Our planet and grandchildren thank them!

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I've had both, along with several Model S cars. The Model 3/Y by comparison to the S/X or Rivian, feels like a bucket of bolts. There's a reason it's so much cheaper, because it is a much cheaper build quality. I hated mine after having come from the S and being spoiled by the build quality of an S over a Y or 3. Instantly appreciated why one was twice the price and worth every penny, at least in my book. With Tesla's new direction on the S & X, couldn't get on board. Have had my Rivian for 9 months and haven't missed my Model S hardly one bit. If I had to choose between a Rivian and Model Y/3, there would be no decision to make. Rivian more S/X like in build quality and solidity than it is to a 3/Y.

I work out of my car and spend a lot of time in it, so the benefits of the S/X are big for me over a 3/Y. The Rivian fully satisfies the same needs.

All depends on what's most important to you. Tesla had issues in their early days and still do. Rivian often gives out loaners when available or pays for your rental car.

How often do you travel? If you do it on a weekly basis and need public charging that often, then there's an argument for the Tesla, but, we have 20 companies working to improve EV charging for all EV's versus one company going it alone. They had a head start, but we'll be caught up pretty quickly. If you're like most and only travel occasionally, then 95% of your charging will be at home and won't matter.

In real world driving at normal highway speeds, the Rivian travels further on a single charge than does the Tesla.

Best of luck in your decision. If you don't mind a stiff (sporty) ride, don't care for air suspension and don't mind a bare bones interior with just one screen, the Model Y may suit your needs. Just be careful to not bend your hood when closing the small manual frunk of the Tesla. You'll give up the much larger auto open/close Rivian Frunk, gear tunnel, air compressor, insane horsepower and acceleration, off-road capability, 90% of the tow capability, need to hook up a trailer any time you want to move that lumber you mentioned, etc, etc.

There's very clear reasons why one is more expensive, just have to carefully look at what more you get for the extra money and determine if those are important to you?
Had a drive in a friends 2023 model Y. I have a 2021. Night and day almost a different vehicle. Build quality, thunk if the doors when closing, quietness on the road, plush suspension. They’ve made some obvious improvements across the board. I know suspension has been upgraded and the new front casting is likely contributing to more consistent build and quality. New model Y seems great I think no brainer for the price and current tax incentives for OP, wish him all the best.

Last edited:

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Where I live the Y is solidly in Ford Taurus wagon territory. Dime a dozen family car. Oh look a Tesla. Words that have not been uttered in years. Not saying it’s bad. It’s vanilla.
Literally! With White being the free color, you see many or "Vanilla" Teslas than other colors.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Literally! With White being the free color, you see many or "Vanilla" Teslas than other colors.
Where I live, Tesla's are a dime a dozen. That was the other thing. I usually only keep cars about three years and am ready for something new and different. The Tesla's were so great that I had several of them for 9 years running, but despite different colors, was still looking at the same basic car. After 9 years, I was Tesla'd out. Happy to have the shiny new toy that few others have. But, if you've never had a Tesla, then that wouldn't be an issue, aside from it blending in now since there are so many of them.

krockett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ Cruiser
Clubs

Can’t argue with any of the points either. My wife has a MYP, and while it is fun to drive, it’s horrible to sit in as a passenger, IMO. Especially so if you’re in the back seat. It does check many of the boxes for her and is great as an around town and short trip vehicle, I would not want to road trip it just because of the ride quality.

I personally would not buy any of the current available Tesla options as they don’t check the necessary boxes for me like the adventure/off-road/utility piece. Maybe the Cybertruck (in spite of how ugly it looks), but then again, part of my dislike of Tesla is that everyone and their mom, uncle, niece, grandparent all have the same car around here.

diurnate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Junior Rocket Surgeon
Mostly all valid - sounds like you don't need a pickup, you don't need an off-road vehicle, you don't need something that does 0-60 in 3.2 seconds, you don't need something with tons of storage and you don't need something that can tow like a beast. That makes the Rivian just a fun choice - which is a financial question for most everyone.

Because you're getting advice on the internet already, two thoughts ....

Very few owners have actually had their R1x brick. My wife's Model 3 randomly dropped from 15% to 0% charge a few weeks ago and left her stranded, before that her BMW twice left us stranded - it can happen with any vehicle. We spend most of my time at our house in very rural area (also) 100 miles from Richmond, with internet over satellite, and the R1T as the only vehicle. I've never had a problem.

Charging hasn't been an issue for me. I charge at home, and only need fast charging for road trips. That can be challenging, but I've never been prevented or slowed much from going where I want - and we choose to the R1T over the Model X. If you travel long distances frequently that require you to use a fast charger then super charger network will make a real quality of life difference though.

Sponsored

fbitz777

First Name
francois
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T 2017MX; 2022 Ioniq5 (2)
I would only compare Rivian to Tesla MX not MY

I bought my MX 6 years ago at around 75k minus the rebate; so similar to Rivian in price and SUV compability.

I love both!

_evtrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'89 Trans Am GTA, '22 Rivian R1T, Pre-order '26 R2
Occupation
General Manager - Retail & Service
Clubs

like everyone said, can't blame you, your reasons for switching to a (Y) make sense. before you do though, i would have to say that i think you should listen to @swhme and try and rent a (Y) for a day or two, and an R1T (if you can) to compare the two. I my self pre ordered in Aug 2019 and took delivery in may of 2022, so 2 years, 9 months and 11 days i believe was my wait. After having the vehicle for 10 months, (2 of which it was at a collision center thanks to my neighbor not paying attention.) but knowing what i know today, if i was told i had to wait twice as long for it, and pay the current price for it, i would.
My back up was a (Y), and i have used one for week on and off, it is a great vehicle in my opinion, i loved it. Did i like it over my more expensive, less reliable charging infrastructure, younger company R1T? No way in hell!!!.

But still, do try the (Y) for a few days first, even if your mind of the R1T is already made, you may find out the (Y) isnt what you need or want and maybe something else works better for you.

and last, I dont care what the "Now You Know" guys say and what their experience has been like, I have had no major issues, a bad window gasket here, a software issue that a hard reset fixed there, nothing else. now is it possible to have some issues? yes of course, I've heard of and seen Tesla with way worse, and some with no issues, same you may see with any vehicle, ford, chevy, toyota, lexus, etc. And as far as the service people and reps, they have gone beyond my expectation, the service guys at the service center have been amazing, as well as my guide and the customer service people, even to the point where i get a random message from some of them just to see how everything has been.

Anyways, Good luck and stay adventurous!!

RivianR1TinSFL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Greetings, Rivian Lovers!

I am writing this post with a bit of sadness, because I have decided to cancel my R1T order. I placed the order in April of 2022 and at the moment my estimated delivery is April - May of 2023 - so close! One side effect to having to wait so long for a vehicle is that it gives you months/years to debate your decision and whether or not it is/was a good one. Two months ago I was "all in" and envisioning my life with a shiny new blue R1T. I had watched countless videos on YouTube showing how capable they are off-road, how great the storage is, how beautiful they are, etc. I couldn't wait to buy some lumber and throw it in the back of the truck, or take it camping nearby. I am starting to see more and more R1Ts on the road in the DC/VA/MD area (including the occasional R1S). But then I watched some videos by the "Now You Know" guys who own a Rivian and have had some pretty major issues with theirs and some not-so-stellar experiences with Rivian service.

Long story short, instead of the R1T, I am going to get a Tesla Model Y instead for the following reasons:
  1. I have the possibility of getting a $7,500 tax rebate. I don't have that option with a Rivian, and $7,500 is a lot of cash to leave on the table.
  2. The difference in price between the two vehicles is $35K ($92,500 for the R1T and $57,500 for the Model Y the way I configured them). I can have my bathrooms remodeled with that money. That's a lot of beer money.
  3. Both companies have quality/build/service issues, but in my opinion, despite what the J.D. Power Satisfaction Survey says, Rivian is just too young and working through too many kinks.
  4. The Tesla charging network is vast and the super chargers "just work". I know they will be opening them up to other EVs in the near future, but I don't want to have any trouble charging or finding a charging station with a Rivian.
  5. We live in a pretty remote/rural location and sometimes only have one vehicle at our house. If that one vehicle is a Rivian and it gets bricked like it did for the "Now You Know" guys, we'd have to have it towed 100 miles to Richmond (the closest service location) and then what - catch an Uber to the closest city to rent a car? I have no idea. Our internet is also not great, and I worry that if the R1T decided to pull down an OTA update, it could fail and possibly brick the truck.
  6. I am getting a trailer hitch on the Model Y so I will still be able to haul lumber, tree branches, etc.
I love everything about the Rivian, and have ever since I saw them in the "Long Way Up" documentary. They are gorgeous and look like they are a blast to drive. But for me, they need a few more years under their belt to be as reliable as Tesla who have been in the game for many more years. My guess is that in 3-5 years I will be buying a Rivian (R2T?). Heck, in 3-5 years there will be a lot of other EV choices on the market. Mark my words though, I will never buy a Tesla Truck as those are hands down the ugliest thing I've ever seen!
“Opted for my bathroom remodel rather than taking delivery of my Rivian” this should have been your thread title.

We’ve owned several Teslas (never buying another Tesla ever again) going back to the first year they came out. So far, Rivian in my opinion is leaps and bounds beyond what we had to contend with.

Good luck.

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius
Gonna be honest. I never considered a Y and I came from a 4-Runner so my opinion may not be relevant in any way, shape, or form.
That said, we just got back from our first camping trip (overnight) in the R1T/iKamper. Our site was muddy (not horrible, but a bit of a mess) and very much not level. Auto-leveling took a bit (wife was able to use the nearby facilities and return) but it did it with each corner ranging from OMG that is high to the low setting. We woke in the morning and plugged in our coffee and were prepared for a walk before heading into town for Breakfast (prior to a legitimate hike).
This trip, along with hauling a furniture purchase and a load of plants to the community clean up, has solidified our purchase. My wife commented on the way home about how happy she is to have this vehicle - the downside to which is we must split daily driving of it :CWL:. Is it perfect? No, but we absolutely love it.
I hope wish you well, but if you can afford it, just be sure that you aren't giving up something that will make you happy.

WSea

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
Occupation
Architect
Ouch. That’s something I never saw, but now can’t unsee.
And last time in socal you’d think they’re government issued
they’re everywhere
Sponsored