More Cup Holders

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
How about a medium amount? I don't understand why so many seem to think "wanting more usable cupholders" means you want 10+. 6-8 is pretty typical for trucks/SUVs.
To be fair, my typical daily exposure are to European SUVs. They typically do have bottle Holders in the door pockets, so there technically is more than 4 cup holders. I think the Rivian is the same.
Sponsored

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
To be fair, my typical daily exposure are to European SUVs. They typically do have bottle Holders in the door pockets. I think the Rivian is the same.
Some SUVs and trucks, like my X5, have extra *true* cupholders in the door panels, which is perfectly acceptable for my use case. Rivian's door pockets are only designed for sealed containers, as mentioned in the user manual and aren't really comparable to a typical drink holder.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Some SUVs and trucks, like my X5, have extra *true* cupholders in the door panels, which is perfectly acceptable for my use case. Rivian's door pockets are only designed for sealed containers, as mentioned in the user manual and aren't really comparable to a typical drink holder.
Sorry, I'm not trying to be obtuse here. But beyond a coffee cup; is the general use case for more than 4 slots for disposable cups and fast-food drinks for eating in the car while it's moving? If so, I can see the use case for it for the North American market.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Sorry, I'm not trying to be obtuse here. But beyond a coffee cup; is the general use case for more than 4 slots for disposable cups and fast-food drinks for eating in the car while it's moving? If so, I can see the use case for it for the North American market.
Of course everyone's needs are different, but anecdotally it's pretty common to carry a bottle of water (which can live in the door pocket) and a non-sealable cup (coffee, juice, soda, etc), particularly on road trips. If you have four people in the R1T/S then all is well. If however you intend to use all 5/7 seats (which from many threads here seems like a pretty common use case) or for some other reason need to block the backseat armrest your cupholders are reduced to two. I experience this in the X5, but it is somewhat mitigated by the cupholders in the door pockets as you have the flexibility to put non-sealed cups in those, which is not an option with the R1T/S.

It's not the end of the world or a dealbreaker by any means, but it is a pretty common use case that will now need to be addressed by the aftermarket.

Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Of course everyone's needs are different, but anecdotally it's pretty common to carry a bottle of water (which can live in the door pocket) and a non-sealable cup (coffee, juice, soda, etc), particularly on road trips. If you have four people in the R1T/S then all is well. If however you intend to use all 5/7 seats (which from many threads here seems like a pretty common use case) or for some other reason need to block the backseat armrest your cupholders are reduced to two. I experience this in the X5, but it is somewhat mitigated by the cupholders in the door pockets as you have the flexibility to put non-sealed cups in those, which is not an option with the R1T/S.

It's not the end of the world or a dealbreaker by any means, but it is a pretty common use case that will now need to be addressed by the aftermarket.
Makes sense. In most cases, I guess in our situation; we keep pretty much everything we drink in a Kleen Kanteen or Hydroflask insulated bottles; so it's not much of a behavioral adjustment. We typically end up only using the front 2 cupholders, and the rest is sealed insulated bottles. The one thing I'm going to be missing is heated and cooled cupholders though.

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

There is an absolutely massive storage area on the floor between driver and passenger. You can buy any aftermarket thing you want and just put it down there. I intend to print out a cradle for my water bottle so it stays put and doesn't move from side to side. Otherwise, I actually really like the oem cup holders in the R1T. They're very sturdy and function perfectly.
Sponsored