First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Ford Raptor, Subaru Ascent
Occupation
Commercial Lender
As a Model S user - I'm hoping that there is an option to view the range in energy vs. miles remaining which will be most likely deceiving to many people. I doubt Rivian has figured out the instant mileage range that Ford/Chevy/Tesla hasn't figured out but it's almost never accurate. The better way to drive electric cars in my experience with 2 of them now is by energy.

That said, it's cool to see that in conserve based on the vehicles trip to date that you see over 300 miles of range on a full charge. What this tells me is that under normal circumstances on flat roads using minimal energy that getting above the EPA estimates will be most likely possible.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
As a Model S user - I'm hoping that there is an option to view the range in energy vs. miles remaining which will be most likely deceiving to many people. I doubt Rivian has figured out the instant mileage range that Ford/Chevy/Tesla hasn't figured out but it's almost never accurate. The better way to drive electric cars in my experience with 2 of them now is by energy.

That said, it's cool to see that in conserve based on the vehicles trip to date that you see over 300 miles of range on a full charge. What this tells me is that under normal circumstances on flat roads using minimal energy that getting above the EPA estimates will be most likely possible.
I actually quite like the Chevy approach with the estimated range, min and max ranges and a trend bar reflecting your most recent consumption (are you moving toward the max or min value?).
They, like most automakers, use the mi/kWh metric in their displays (similar to the familiar mpg?) but it's easy enough to convert in your head if you are used to Wh/mi. 5 mi/kWh = 200 Wh/mi, 4 = 250, 3 = 333, etc.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
It will not matter for some people. Range anxiety is rather absurd -

*car reminds you that you have 125 miles of range left on before going empty. Your destination is only 25 miles away*

ERHMAHGAWD!!! Will I make it?!?!?!?!
(have heard people actually say this in an I.C.E vehicle).

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It will not matter for some people. Range anxiety is rather absurd -

*car reminds you that you have 125 miles of range left on before going empty. Your destination is only 25 miles away*

ERHMAHGAWD!!! Will I make it?!?!?!?!
(have heard people actually say this in an I.C.E vehicle).
Range anxiety is an odd beast, and different people have different takes.

Many of us that started with sub 100 mile EPA range rated EVs got at least somewhat used to running down to 10 miles (or less) of range remaining (~10%).
I know people whose first EV had 250+ and get nervous anywhere below 60 miles - even if they only drive 30 miles a day.

Soon after we got our first EV, my wife was on the way home and dropped below 10% SOC triggering a warning. She was 1.5 miles from home, car showed 9 miles remaining. She stopped to charge. She has since learned to trust the range remaining a least a bit more.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Sponsored