Sponsored

Lost at least 1 rear motor (Update: Fixed, then rear ended on way home, 2nd update critical battery issue)

majorfriend

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Cruiser 100, Launch Edition R1T, Mustang Mach
Occupation
IT Consultant
Well, we're having fun 3 weeks into ownership.

On a little weekend trip, about 200 miles from home. About 10 miles from our destination I got a turtle icon and the rear motors were disabled (had been driving in all purpose). No other issues with the truck and was able to maintain speed and finish the drive to the hotel.

We checked in and went to park and heard an awful grinding noise. Was able to get into a parking spot, reset the vehicle, still have the noise but no other warnings or indicators of a problem other than something clearly wrong if I try to move the truck. Does not seem like a software issue at all.

If I put the truck in Conserve mode everything seems fine.

I called service and the advisor I talked to is checking on what to do. We're about 150 miles from a service center.

I'm nervous to drive in conserve, I'd rather be stuck at the hotel than on the side of the road.

Anyone experience anything similar?

Any idea what Rivian might provide in circumstances like this?
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

OP
OP

majorfriend

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Thanks @Riviot !

Luckily no, we're in Vail, CO so looks like several rental car companies around.

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

Probably fine to drive in conserve so long as weather isn't an issue.

Rivian will provide you with a loaner/rental while your is in service.

AYAYRON

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
If it’s snowy/ wet I would strongly recommend not driving in conserve. Traction control is terrible in conserve as I believe they intended it only for highway use therefore the deactivated rear motors cannot assist with traction control.

I really think they should update conserve mode to only operate over 20mph similar to the dual motor all purpose converts to fwd only over 19 or 20mph

Sponsored

OP
OP

majorfriend

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Was considering driving in conserve if needed.

They're picking it up Sunday to tow back to the Denver SC, and I should be in a rental later today so may not need to, but appreciate the input.

KCFGFE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Configured)
My motors were also restricted on the 2nd day of ownership, under 50 miles. Front motor drive failed. They got me a flatbed and a loaner. 2nd week of the loaner and I have more miles on it than my new car. The part is being replaced but who's to say it won't happen again if their parts are faulty. Kind of worrying it's still happening to 2024 vehicles.

OP
OP

majorfriend

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
My motors were also restricted on the 2nd day of ownership, under 50 miles. Front motor drive failed. They got me a flatbed and a loaner. 2nd week of the loaner and I have more miles on it than my new car. The part is being replaced but who's to say it won't happen again if their parts are faulty. Kind of worrying it's still happening to 2024 vehicles.
Ours isn't new, we bought a pre-owned launch edition.

Which probably means yours are the Enduro motors and we have the Bosch motors (which make me wonder how hard getting a replacement will be, assuming that's what it needs).

The weird thing is the truck doesn't show any warnings or errors (it had the turtle last night, but that is gone this morning).

It sounds and feels horrible if you try to move it though and definitely isn't right.

OP
OP

majorfriend

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Heard back from Rivian today.

Need to a new rear drive unit, they are saying the part is on it's way and it should be ready next week. Hope that's accurate!

It does seem odd that a drive unit can go out and not throw a warning message.

OP
OP

majorfriend

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Picked up my truck today from the service center with fresh rear motors, a completed comprehensive inspection, and a few smaller items.

And then...got rear ended on the way home....

So that's fun, luckily it isn't bad and from what I can tell it just needs the rear bumper replaced. Who knows how long it will take to get that taken care of, but glad I at least have the truck back and drive it.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Picked up my truck today from the service center with fresh rear motors, a completed comprehensive inspection, and a few smaller items.

And then...got rear ended on the way home....

So that's fun, luckily it isn't bad and from what I can tell it just needs the rear bumper replaced. Who knows how long it will take to get that taken care of, but glad I at least have the truck back and drive it.
Wow that sucks. Hopefully there is no damage to the bed. There have been seemingly benign rear ended accidents in the R1T that turned out to be totaled.

OP
OP

majorfriend

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
Wow that sucks. Hopefully there is no damage to the bed. There have been seemingly benign rear ended accidents in the R1T that turned out to be totaled.

Sure hope so, that would suck. I think it's minor enough, but I guess we'll find out.

Rivian R1T R1S Lost at least 1 rear motor (Update: Fixed, then rear ended on way home, 2nd update critical battery issue) 20240401_183642

OP
OP

majorfriend

First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT Consultant
That doesn’t look bad. How does the truck bed look?
No damage that I can see, tailgate operates normally, inside the spare tire compartment looks fine, the cover for that all seems fine. Even the original power tonneau cover is still working.
Sponsored