Sponsored

Los Angeles —> Mammoth Trip -- Charging ?

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M340, Tesla M3, Rivian R1T
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

Making a trip from LA to Mammoth soon and wanted to see if anybody else has made this trip and hear about your trip experience with charging, etc.

Planning to use RAN at Inyokern and Bishop. Looks like they’re active on PlugShare. Thanks all!
Sponsored

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Making a trip from LA to Mammoth soon and wanted to see if anybody else has made this trip and hear about your trip experience with charging, etc.

Planning to use RAN at Inyokern and Bishop. Looks like they’re active on PlugShare. Thanks all!
I haven't done the trip yet in my Rivian, but I've seen both RAN chargers in Inyokern and Bishop on my way to Mammoth in early December. You won't have any issues at these two stops.

Funny thing is, I've been going to classic burgers for years on my way to kern river. Very fitting that they put the RAN there, it's like they knew I was buying a Rivian.

OP
OP
R1Tkc

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

I haven't done the trip yet in my Rivian, but I've seen both RAN chargers in Inyokern and Bishop on my way to Mammoth in early December. You won't have any issues at these two stops.

Funny thing is, I've been going to classic burgers for years on my way to kern river. Very fitting that they put the RAN there, it's like they knew I was buying a Rivian.
Awesome thanks man! Actually saw classic burgers when I was scoping out the area so funny you mention that hahah. I will give it a try!

Sponsored

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

Charged at both those chargers on my way to Tahoe last week. They are free and they are great!

OP
OP
R1Tkc

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

Charged at both those chargers on my way to Tahoe last week. They are free and they are great!
Awesome thanks! Good to know.

Was originally a bit iffy about taking the rivian up, but hearing you guys have successful charges is great to hear

Sponsored

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I've used RAN chargers twice. Perfect both times. Only used it this last time because the EA chargers failed. Made it to Barstow with just 3% remaining.

If you use the EA chargers, stick to the 150 kw chargers rather than the 350 kw. Especially in cold weather. I tried it and got errors each time within 3% of charge. Then tried to move over to the 150 and was getting errors there too. Likely residual effects from the battery being overheated by the 350 kw charger. RAN charger ramped up to 212 or 214 kw. Went to In N Out and had more that enough range to get home by the time I was done eating (20-25 minutes).

If you have the luxury of have the RAN on your route, would certainly alter your planned stops to take advantage of them. And yes, it's free to use.

OP
OP
R1Tkc

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

I've used RAN chargers twice. Perfect both times. Only used it this last time because the EA chargers failed. Made it to Barstow with just 3% remaining.

If you use the EA chargers, stick to the 150 kw chargers rather than the 350 kw. Especially in cold weather. I tried it and got errors each time within 3% of charge. Then tried to move over to the 150 and was getting errors there too. Likely residual effects from the battery being overheated by the 350 kw charger. RAN charger ramped up to 212 or 214 kw. Went to In N Out and had more that enough range to get home by the time I was done eating (20-25 minutes).

If you have the luxury of have the RAN on your route, would certainly alter your planned stops to take advantage of them. And yes, it's free to use.
Ah interesting. I actually haven’t encountered any 350s near me so that’s good to know. How much was RAN able to charge in the 20-25 mins you ate?

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Ah interesting. I actually haven’t encountered any 350s near me so that’s good to know. How much was RAN able to charge in the 20-25 mins you ate?
65%. Arrived with 3% and left with 68 or 69%.

OP
OP
R1Tkc

R1Tkc

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
It Engineer
Clubs

hollywdR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
kinda new here but did this trip just recently and during the storm. charged on both locations to/from. RAN chargers worked flawlessly! i knew where i needed to go so i just put the RAN charger address for both locations on the nav separately and about an hour before getting there, (at least for me) you'll see a message about getting your battery ready for fast charging. plug-in, grab a snack at classic burgers (inyokern) and/or schat's (bishop) and by the time you come out, you'll have plenty of charge to get to the next location. RAN chargers are fast! R1T in snow mode drove fine in town including to/from main lodge while snowing.
Sponsored