D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '22 M3LR, '09 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

How long was your truck unplugged in "Transportation' mode? Or was it plugged in during transit? What was the charge level when it arrived?
It was completely disconnected. The 12v batteries were disconnected at the negative terminals, and the HV contact switch was unplugged. So it was completely powered off during shipping. It only took ~19 days to ship but didn't lose any charge since it was manually disconnected
Sponsored

TheCaDean

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Rivian
Occupation
Asset Managment
Clubs

Hey everyone. I had the chance to leave the R1T in the garage for about two months while I'm (still...:rolleyes:) out of town training for a new job. I thought this would be a good time to see how long I could leave it unplugged!

Unfortunately I didn't take as much data as all you smarty-pants' probably would have, but there's some interesting baseline numbers to look at here:

Starting charge: 70% (242 miles) on March 5
Average temperature: ~45/50 degrees F (stored in the garage)
Ending charge: 13.6% (47 miles) on April 21

Small disclaimer, only needed to move the truck in and out of the garage to move the garbage bins every week

In total, the truck lasted 47 days without being plugged in. That averages out to 4.14 miles/day or 1.2%/day of idle drain. I guess I could have left it unplugged for another 10 days, but I saw another post on here where it cost someone $1000 to bring their R1T back from the dead.
Terrible.. my Kia niro and EV6 can go a month with hardly and loss. Rivian really needs an off button

HaveBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S DMP Max, Lifted GX470, APR Audi A7, BMW 325Ci
Clubs

It was completely disconnected. The 12v batteries were disconnected at the negative terminals, and the HV contact switch was unplugged. So it was completely powered off during shipping. It only took ~19 days to ship but didn't lose any charge since it was manually disconnected
When you connected everything back up did the truck start back up or did it require service? Did it have any error codes? If everything is fine then a manual disconnect will be in my future if I can't isolate which fuses are causing the drain. A lobotomy would be in that car's future when "no means no."

Danke!

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '22 M3LR, '09 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

When you connected everything back up did the truck start back up or did it require service? Did it have any error codes? If everything is fine then a manual disconnect will be in my future if I can't isolate which fuses are causing the drain. A lobotomy would be in that car's future when "no means no."

Danke!
Unfortunately I was not around for the reconnect, the shipper did it for me before I arrived. I assume there were no errors because they didn't tell me there were any. They followed my procedure exactly, which was:

1. Reconnect the HV contact switch plug (fireman's loop)
2. Reconnect the 12V batteries SIMULTANEOUSLY
3. Hard reset

See "Rivian towing guide" on their website for some of the info. I am available for moral support. I suspect you can just repeat the procedure if it doesn't go right the first time. Keep a multimeter handy to make sure your 12v's stay above 12v (not essential to unplugging). Might want to wait to disconnect the 12v's until they are around 12.9-13v so they store well. This typically occurs after you've been driving a while and they're charged up.

Also remember that you will not be able to open the hood if you close it fully...so put something in there to block it a bit. See my profile pic.

There was no drama in my case but YMMV. At least you are closer to a service center in case it goes south. Mine was revived in Bremerhaven Germany. :)
Sponsored