little frustrated with wind noise - appreciate any advice

Firewired

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EL Cap R1T, Model 3,
I love my R1T, which I have had since 01/23, except that, for some reason, there has been an increasing amount of wind noise from the driver's side. It is only noticeable above 50 mph; when you go above 70 mph on the highway (I am in Texas), you can feel a slight breeze like the cracked window. I tried the window recalibration, but it did not make a difference. Mobile service replaced my front triangular window with the new upgraded one, which did not affect it. My window and door seals all look fine. I had held off bringing it in for service because they are a couple of hours away, but I finally bit the bullet and did it. They had my truck for a couple of weeks and replaced the driver-side applique. I really was hoping that would do the trick, but unfortunately not. Has anyone had anything similar that was able to be resolved? Thanks.
Sponsored

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

You don't need advice.

You need to put in a ticket and have Rivian fix the problem.

It stinks that Rivian didn't make it right the first time, but they're ultimately the only ones that can make you whole. Whatever you can do to document the issue (video) and be as SPECIFIC as possible so they can isolate the problem will help.

I had a 'senior tech' ride-along with me and we kept driving (probably 15 miles or so) until we found ALL of the issues and he was able to confirm the approach he would take to correct them, which included the triangle window replacement you alluded to above.

If you're twice bitten on this one, you might want to set the expectation that you'll ask for a tech to ALSO go on a ride-along when you return to pick up your vehicle to validate they made the corrections. BE PREPARED to leave again with your rental if you're unhappy.

Plummer43

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Clubs

How's the A pillar trim? My A pillar trim on the driver's side sticks out near the top by the window. Lots of noise but I live 3 hours from service center. I just turn the music up higher.

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Just a thought. If you feel a breeze, tape some light streamers around the door and see what flutters when you feel the breeze?

Cary Hawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T El Cap/22/OC
Clubs

I've had the same problem since 10/22. Its been to the Richmond SC multiple times and still the driver side wind noise is bad and seems to get worse over time. Front triangle window replaced twice = no improvement, windows recalibrated = no improvement, after market door seal added = no improvement, driver door adjusted by Rivian Sr body fitment tech = no improvement.
Each time I get it back from the SC my invoice concludes "in specification".

The small triangle window and regular window alignment with the door is a bad design and Rivian continues to struggle to find a solution. I have little / no confidence that Rivian will be able to fix the wind issue on my truck and I'm tired of driving 2.5 hours to the SC and wasting an entire day there only to be driving home with same issues.

Sponsored

Kanuk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘54 Power Wagon, R1T, Cayenne Turbo, Mini Cooper S
Occupation
Slacker
I love my R1T, which I have had since 01/23, except that, for some reason, there has been an increasing amount of wind noise from the driver's side. It is only noticeable above 50 mph; when you go above 70 mph on the highway (I am in Texas), you can feel a slight breeze like the cracked window. I tried the window recalibration, but it did not make a difference. Mobile service replaced my front triangular window with the new upgraded one, which did not affect it. My window and door seals all look fine. I had held off bringing it in for service because they are a couple of hours away, but I finally bit the bullet and did it. They had my truck for a couple of weeks and replaced the driver-side applique. I really was hoping that would do the trick, but unfortunately not. Has anyone had anything similar that was able to be resolved? Thanks.
Check this out if you want to have a go at fixing it yourself.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/wind-noise-solved-at-last-using-tube-rubber-seal.17797/

ndmiller

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Incoming
Occupation
Retailler
Clubs

I have what appears to be a metal on metal ringing sound from 50-65, started of intermittent and now it's all the time. Could be wind noise though hadn't thought of that.

elektrode

First Name
Bran
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline to R1T
I got my driver door seals replaced via mobile appointment and it was a life altering from a noise perspective.

:)

Now all the noise comes from the passenger side

:-(

Gen(R3)Xer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Sorry to hear this. It definitely sounds like a design flaw. I saw where someone on the forums added some kind of adhesive weather stripping to the outside trim that worked for them.

OP
OP

Firewired

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EL Cap R1T, Model 3,
You don't need advice.
Initially, they had me scheduled to go back to the service center mid-next month, but I discussed it with the Mobile Tech and he is going to come out and look. That's a good thing as the Austin Service Center has lots of traffic and it was hard to get the car up to highway speed because of that when I was dropping it off. It will be much easier to show the tech the issue on the roads around San Antonio if he is willing.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Firewired

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
EL Cap R1T, Model 3,
I just got this issue amazingly fixed by my mobile tech; he did what the service center couldn't in the weeks they had it. I was skeptical that it was going to work, but it is night and day. The tech replaced the triangular window only. Rivian had pervasively replaced the triangular window along with the improved gasket design. So I was a little skeptical that now replacing the triangular piece of glass would do the trick. Per the tech, they are on revision "J" of the small triangular window, and the new one is designed to seal the gasket better and put more pressure against it. The tech said because of the Bernoulli principle the increased velocity of the wind between the car sidewall and mirror really has been a challenge for the seal and will expose any small potential gaps in the seal.

As an aside, the tech said the issue is typically along the top edge of the triangular glass.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
You don't need advice.

It stinks that Rivian didn't make it right the first time, but they're ultimately the only ones that can make you whole. Whatever you can do to document the issue (video) and be as SPECIFIC as possible so they can isolate the problem will help.

I had a 'senior tech' ride-along with me and we kept driving (probably 15 miles or so) until we found ALL of the issues and he was able to confirm the approach he would take to correct them, which included the triangle window replacement you alluded to above.

If you're twice bitten on this one, you might want to set the expectation that you'll ask for a tech to ALSO go on a ride-along when you return to pick up your vehicle to validate they made the corrections. BE PREPARED to leave again with your rental if you're unhappy.
Thor speaketh the truth. This is great advice. I'd take it a step further and keep driving to the wrong side of town until the tech capitulates.
Sponsored