Leg Room R1T vs R1S

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
That is reassuring. I got it from the Motortrend report. Maybe a typo on their part?

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/rivian/r1s/

“A common feature between the R1T truck and R1S SUV is the 11.0-cubic-foot front trunk, giving the latter additional space for cargo. With all seats in place, the three-row R1S has 7.1 cubic feet of cargo space. The rear tub on the Rivian R1S has an extra 6.4 cubic feet of capacity when you take out the spare tire.”
I would hope that’s a serious typo. This would make the cargo space in a Fiat 500 (9.5 cubic feet) gargantuan in comparison to the R1S.
Sponsored

dmc94

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T - GW/FE/20"
Clubs

I would hope that’s a serious typo. This would make the cargo space in a Fiat 500 (9.5 cubic feet) gargantuan in comparison to the R1S.
Seriously. Just looking at the R1S photos makes it seem like there is 18-21 cu. ft. of cargo room.

Swilly

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Toyota Landcruiser
Occupation
A Little Bit of Everything
Clubs

I honestly did not think it was possible to have a smaller cargo space behind the 3rd row of a full size SUV than the LR4 (9.9 cu. ft.). The photos seem to show more than what is in the LR4.

I have also reviewed all the information in the Motortrend report and while usually accurate, they are way off on the dimensions of the R1S. Later in the article they claim that the R1S will be 1 foot shorter than the Suburban (actually 2 feet shorter according to independent specs for each), and that its wheelbase is 6 inches longer than the Suburban (actually 13" shorter than Suburban wheelbase). I am now leaning towards putting no value at all into the Motortrend report and assuming that our eyes are not deceiving us on the R1S cargo space.

mrpl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Occupation
Technology
Does anyone have real knowledge of the interior specs of the R1S front driver seat? Actually sat in one? How did it compare to a full size SUV? How does it compare to a Tesla X?

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
Does anyone have real knowledge of the interior specs of the R1S front driver seat? Actually sat in one? How did it compare to a full size SUV? How does it compare to a Tesla X?
SOON, the info will be released as per Rivian back in June ?‍♂

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I'm only guessing here, because our only access was to the R1T. At just short of six feet, and with RJ taller than I am, he looked like he had plenty of room, and I know I had plenty of room. Also, when we were riding around, I know the back seat passengers said they had plenty of room with us up front.

I have no idea how that will translate to the R1S, but I also rode in back twice and plenty of leg room with adults up front.

I hope that helps.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

mrpl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Occupation
Technology
I'm only guessing here, because our only access was to the R1T. At just short of six feet, and with RJ taller than I am, he looked like he had plenty of room, and I know I had plenty of room. Also, when we were riding around, I know the back seat passengers said they had plenty of room with us up front.

I have no idea how that will translate to the R1S, but I also rode in back twice and plenty of leg room with adults up front.

I hope that helps.
It helps a little. I’m just wondering if at 6’ 5” if there will be enough leg, hip head and shoulder room in the R1S driver seat.

SlaterGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Nissan Leaf, Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

mrpl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Occupation
Technology

I hope that helps.
Guess I’ll have to wait for the ability to get in one.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

@DuckTruck or anyone else can you speak to the telescoping of the steering wheel when you drove it? At 6'5 (mostly legs) one thing that I struggle with is that the steering wheel is never close enough with my seat in a comfortable position for my legs because it doesn't telescope enough. The only car that I've had where this wasn't a problem was my Q5, so I'm hoping that Rivian will be able to accommodate me.

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
@DuckTruck or anyone else can you speak to the telescoping of the steering wheel when you drove it? At 6'5 (mostly legs) one thing that I struggle with is that the steering wheel is never close enough with my seat in a comfortable position for my legs because it doesn't telescope enough. The only car that I've had where this wasn't a problem was my Q5, so I'm hoping that Rivian will be able to accommodate me.
In another thread, @DuckTruck said this: "One of the things I liked most in the front seat was that the telescoping column came out farther than I would ever need it. In all of my other cars, the telescoping stops before it hits the point I would like it to hit."

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Ok @DuckTruck it's part of your duty to go and test drive a Q5. You can do this before you get your Rivian and do the 70mph round trip test until empty. I can chip in for the tow truck to the closest charging station ?