Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Hello everyone.

Relative newbie here, searching the forums for answers. If this has already been answered, I apologize.

1). What is second row leg room on the R1T vs the R1S? Just trying to see if the R1T has a usable back seat for an adult vs the R1S.

Stay Safe, Stay Well

Adam
Sponsored

Ssaygmo

First Name
Sage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volt
Great question I haven't seen asked before. Besides comparing side by side photos, I don't think we have an answer right now.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
The R1S interior dimensions per Christina today on chat are

FirstSecondThird
Leg Room
41.417​
36.653​
32.755​
Hip Room
54.881​
54.212​
42.755​
Head Room
41.141​
39.685​
38.622​

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y

FirstSecondThird
Leg Room
41.417​
36.653​
32.755​
Hip Room
54.881​
54.212​
42.755​
Head Room
41.141​
39.685​
38.622​
The second row leg room is very surprising. The Model Y has 40.5" and the Model X has 38.5" (I have both the X is tight for an adult), so I am anxious to sit in the back of the R1S to see it for myself.

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
The second row leg room is very surprising. The Model Y has 40.5" and the Model X has 38.5" (I have both the X is tight for an adult), so I am anxious to sit in the back of the R1S to see it for myself.
Yeah, it was a little surprising, so I am anxious to see it in person as well.

Off topic, are you the youtube channel that had a red model X and towed a boat in Florida?

Sponsored

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470

Off topic, are you the youtube channel that had a red model X and towed a boat in Florida?
I commented in another thread where rear leg room dimensions came up - on paper, my relatively small car has more rear leg room than my relatively large SUV. There just isn't much you can reasonably infer about comfort from numbers alone.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Is there a universal spec for how leg room is measured or does it vary between manufacturers?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I've seen picture or video of RJ in the back seat, who is 6' plus, and it looked like there was plenty of room.

I don't know how they measure, but can say from experience that seat height & recline has a lot to do with comfort & practical "leg room".

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

It will be interesting to find out. I have a 2017 Tesla Model S and that is more than my Tesla by about 1 inch (and I have never had anyone say they were too cramped). Also, that is more than a Toyota Tacoma or Chevy Colorado, but less than a Jeep Gladiator. I am guessing it will be fine for regular trips, but not for long road trips. That would suit my needs perfectly.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Just remembered I know someone that has ridden in the back seat of the blue R1T and also happens to have a Model S.

@jimcgov3 , any thoughts or comments?

Sponsored

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
Is there a universal spec for how leg room is measured or does it vary between manufacturers?
Unfortunately, there are myriad ways to measure rear legroom. SAE has issued some standards, but even they are open to interpretation, as they vary depending on where the front seat is set. Sometimes the front seat is set at the driving position of a 95th percentile driver, but that metric itself is ill-defined. Also, there is a dummy named Oscar used in the industry that measures legroom from Oscar's hip joint rather that from the rear seat back. Some manufacturers use Oscar to derive their published figures; some don't.

I've been going round and round with Lucid on this issue, as the Lucid Air rear legroom varies with different battery packs. (The larger battery pack has modules under the rear floorboard, whereas the smaller pack dispenses with those module to create recessed "foot garages" as in the Porsche Taycan.) However, the Lucid Air website shows a 1.6" difference in legroom between the two battery packs although the difference in floorboard height between the two packs is 3.15". Lucid has been unable to explain these conflicting metrics other than with a vague "difference in measuring techniques".

Another relevant metric for rear seating comfort is knee angle. The Tesla Model S, with its high rear floorboard that jacks up your knees, has a knee angle of 89.8º, which many people (myself included) find uncomfortable. Lucid claims its rear seat knee angle of 95.2º with the larger battery pack will be considerably more comfortable, despite the relatively small nominal difference in angle. (I hope they're right, because an uncomfortable rear seat for older adults is one of the reasons I'm replacing my Model S with a Lucid Air.)

Frankly, I think trying to deduce rear seating comfort from manufacturer metrics is a total crap shoot. There are just too many variables involved: seat height, upper and lower seat cushion angles, distance to front seat, toe room under front seat, even seat foam density, etc. You have actually to sit in a vehicle yourself.

Just as with furniture, committing to a car purchase on the internet when seating comfort is a key criterion is a very risky proposition.

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Unfortunately, there are myriad ways to measure rear legroom. SAE has issued some standards, but even they are open to interpretation, as they vary depending on where the front seat is set. Sometimes the front seat is set at the driving position of a 95th percentile driver, but that metric itself is ill-defined. Also, there is a dummy named Oscar used in the industry that measures legroom from Oscar's hip joint rather that from the rear seat back. Some manufacturers use Oscar to derive their published figures; some don't.

I've been going round and round with Lucid on this issue, as the Lucid Air rear legroom varies with different battery packs. (The larger battery pack has modules under the rear floorboard, whereas the smaller pack dispenses with those module to create recessed "foot garages" as in the Porsche Taycan.) However, the Lucid Air website shows a 1.6" difference in legroom between the two battery packs although the difference in floorboard height between the two packs is 3.15". Lucid has been unable to explain these conflicting metrics other than with a vague "difference in measuring techniques".

Another relevant metric for rear seating comfort is knee angle. The Tesla Model S, with its high rear floorboard that jacks up your knees, has a knee angle of 89.8º, which many people (myself included) find uncomfortable. Lucid claims its rear seat knee angle of 95.2º with the larger battery pack will be considerably more comfortable, despite the relatively small nominal difference in angle. (I hope they're right, because an uncomfortable rear seat for older adults is one of the reasons I'm replacing my Model S with a Lucid Air.)

Frankly, I think trying to deduce rear seating comfort from manufacturer metrics is a total crap shoot. There are just too many variables involved: seat height, upper and lower seat cushion angles, distance to front seat, toe room under front seat, even seat foam density, etc. You have actually to sit in a vehicle yourself.

Just as with furniture, committing to a car purchase on the internet when seating comfort is a key criterion is a very risky proposition.
I agree. I just hope I will be able to test it out before I order one. I am in Southern California, near LA and near Irvine, so perhaps they will have a showroom. Didn't they move some operations to Irvine?

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y

Yes. That was the 3rd X delivered back in December 2015.

mrpl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Expedition
Occupation
Technology

FirstSecondThird
Leg Room
41.417​
36.653​
32.755​
Hip Room
54.881​
54.212​
42.755​
Head Room
41.141​
39.685​
38.622​
These dimensions seem small for a full size SUV, especially the hip room.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
These dimensions seem small for a full size SUV, especially the hip room.
If they were to be believed, the seating area of the R1S would be smaller than that of my current XC60 which is overall a far smaller vehicle. Having seen the R1S in person, I can tell you that it is cavernous by comparison.

We don't know how Rivian determined these measurements but I will say they aren't doing themselves any favors by sharing them as they don't "compare" well with vehicles we are familiar with.
Sponsored