First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
I am connected with a lot of Rivian employees on LinkedIn and it seems like a significant number of them have been laid off recently. I’ve seen like 8 to 10 in the past week. Could this be a sign of trouble?
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I am connected with a lot of Rivian employees on LinkedIn and it seems like a significant number of them have been laid off recently. I’ve seen like 8 to 10 in the past week. Could this be a sign of trouble?
Could be, but I certainly hope not.

What kinds of roles?

Kickaha

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tesla Model X
Not time to panic - yet.

There are numerous reasons positions and people are laid off - redundancy, fiscal efficiency, restructuring and cost savings are just a few.

Unless we know specifics, which I doubt we ever will, there is probably no correlation between 8-10 layoffs and trouble at Rivian.

In the grand scheme of things 10 layoffs from a workforce of 1800 is just routine. If there were 300 layoffs, we might have to worry.

Do not take council of your fears!

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I won’t name names, but here are their roles: candidate experience partner, associate director, human resources recruiting manager, recruiting coordinator, candidate experience partner, and several more and most of them look like they were let go in May.

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Building a world class company/organization undoubtedly not only includes hiring the right people for the job but also to be able to do the job exceedingly well. Not every hire will fit that bill. Not every trip to home plate results in a home-run or for what is expected for the circumstances at that time. What's important for any successful company is to frequently evaluate and make any necessary adjustments sooner than later. This is especially critical for start up companies. I've been through two small start ups that grew very fast. It's not only a dynamic environment for the work to be done but also in personnel. Even though Rivian has been around for over 10 yrs, they're going through an important next stage that has caused a huge growth in personnel. This change in personnel simply could be adjustments to that growing spurt.

Is that what is occurring at Rivian? Quite possibly. There certainly could be other reasons - poor individual performance, restructuring, affects due to the pandemic, among many others as others have mentioned. As previously mentioned we may never know. So at this point I would personally rather view these low number "layoffs" as personnel adjustments than potentially creating any pre-mature FUD.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Building a world class company/organization undoubtedly not only includes hiring the right people for the job but also to be able to do the do job exceedingly well. Not every hire will fit that bill. Not every trip to home plate results in a home-run or for what is expected for the circumstances at that time. What's important for any successful company is to frequently evaluate and make any necessary adjustments sooner than later. This especially critical for start up companies. I've been through two small start ups that grew very fast. It's not only a dynamic environment for work but also in personnel. Even though Rivian has been around for over 10 yrs, they're going through an important next stage that has caused a huge growth in personnel. These simply could be adjustments to that growing spurt.

Is that what is occurring at Rivian? Quite possibly. There certainly could be other reasons - poor performance, restructuring, affects due to the pandemic, among many others as others have mentioned. As previously mentioned we may never know. So at this point I would personally rather view these low number "layoffs" as personnel adjustments than as potentially creating any pre-mature FUD.
All good points. It was just a little startling to look at my LinkedIn homepage and see so many people from the same company, but as long as they’re still hiring people and looks like they’re starting construction again I think they’ll pull through to production. I’m very optimistic about the future, and hope to get my blue R1T soon!

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
I won’t name names, but here are their roles: candidate experience partner, associate director, human resources recruiting manager, recruiting coordinator, candidate experience partner, and several more and most of them look like they were let go in May.
All of those positions are the sort of jobs you need when you're trying to hire a massive workforce.
Now that they have their 1800 odd? employees, they can slim the HR dept down a bit and let go of the recruiters. I mean, they're probably not going to be expanding during the pandemic, and once its over I'm sure they will have many applications for job there.

I wouldn't read too much into it.

-D

OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
"The former employees say they believe the cuts were related to the stresses of the COVID-19 pandemic, though Rivian says they were performance-based.

“From time to time, it’s important for any performance-focused and fast-growing company to streamline its organization to improve effectiveness,” Amy Mast, Rivian’s public relations director, said in a statement. “Rivian remains healthy, growing, and focused on the launch of our products.

Hmm, sounds familiar. ;)

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
OP
OP
Canthoney

Canthoney

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
"The former employees say they believe the cuts were related to the stresses of the COVID-19 pandemic, though Rivian says they were performance-based.

“From time to time, it’s important for any performance-focused and fast-growing company to streamline its organization to improve effectiveness,” Amy Mast, Rivian’s public relations director, said in a statement. “Rivian remains healthy, growing, and focused on the launch of our products.

Hmm, sounds familiar. ;)
It’s almost like they watch the forums :clap: . I don’t think what they are doing is bad rebalancing is good when growing.
Sponsored