Sponsored

Kit for gutting the Camp Speaker, converting it to storage.

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

The Camp speaker is a very low functioning asset, if it works at all. It is lockable, it is next to power it is doable. Someone please experiment and design a solution to this problem, what do you have to lose, a speaker?

A kit would sell either in a DIY, or a finished product, this is a niche that is begging to be served, or is it just me?

BTW, "Location" in the thread posting is other because worldwide was not an option.
Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I've considered this myself. However, I'd rather keep the speaker as an extra for my truck's eventual resale and hold out for a nice product from Rivian.

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

I've considered this myself. However, I'd rather keep the speaker as an extra for my truck's eventual resale and hold out for a nice product from Rivian.
Anyone buying a used R1T will not miss the known failed speaker and the value of the black void will be zero as well. I get the reluctance to destroy a fully useless product, but no guts, not glory. And, you can get a discarded speaker from many here that have the dam thing in the garage out of fear it is causing fantom drain in the vehicle as it is being locked when the vehicle is parked.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I like to keep the original equipment of my vehicles intact if possible. I usually find ways to make my modifications by doing so. For instance, I probably have about as much in modifications to my '16 miata as I spent on it new, but I can return any bit of it to stock if I like.

Regarding the speaker, I've been returning to ebay periodically for a cheap one for sale, but it's not happening. Most of the time, I can't find a single one for sale. When I have seen them, they are expensive. Useless or not, there's value in the thing right now.

The other issue is that the hollowed out version may not really be that practical as a container. Some of those guts could be difficult to remove while retaining the structure. That remains to be seen.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

I like to keep the original equipment of my vehicles intact if possible. I usually find ways to make my modifications by doing so. For instance, I probably have about as much in modifications to my '16 miata as I spent on it new, but I can return any bit of it to stock if I like.

Regarding the speaker, I've been returning to ebay periodically for a cheap one for sale, but it's not happening. Most of the time, I can't find a single one for sale. When I have seen them, they are expensive. Useless or not, there's value in the thing right now.

The other issue is that the hollowed out version may not really be that practical as a container. Some of those guts could be difficult to remove while retaining the structure. That remains to be seen.
I did see one here on this site for $50. But if & when a Rivian OEM is actually in stock and sold I may get it.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Anyone buying a used R1T will not miss the known failed speaker and the value of the black void will be zero as well. I get the reluctance to destroy a fully useless product, but no guts, not glory. And, you can get a discarded speaker from many here that have the dam thing in the garage out of fear it is causing fantom drain in the vehicle as it is being locked when the vehicle is parked.
You may not. Data point of one, inconclusive representation of the whole. Some buyers and commercial valuations do care if a used vehicle is indeed “all original”. Rivian is already known to be working on a storage drawer to take its place.

R1Thor

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23QM R1T, Limestone + Ocean Coast, 21" & UBS
Occupation
Mechanical Engineering Lead
Clubs

You may not. Data point of one, inconclusive representation of the whole. Some buyers and commercial valuations do care if a used vehicle is indeed “all original”. Rivian is already known to be working on a storage drawer to take its place.
Completely agreed.
Love him or hate him, Doug DeMuro is pretty damned good at understanding the automotive market: And he unabashedly insists that the used car market is significantly stronger for fully stock/OEM vehicles that come with ALL keys and accessories (and bonus points for unused accessories).

I would bet dollars to donuts if your car is for sale without a camp speaker, next to one with the exact same specs that includes it, yours will see significantly less interest. And those who aren't enthusiastically cruising the forums (which this may surprise you: is probably going to be the majority of future Rivian owners), will not 'understand' that camp speaker is not up to *your* standards and will go for it.

Furthermore, it's a subconscious thing: "If this guy lost/took/broke his camp speaker, what else is wrong with the used vehicle he's selling?"

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Completely agreed.
Love him or hate him, Doug DeMuro is pretty damned good at understanding the automotive market: And he unabashedly insists that the used car market is significantly stronger for fully stock/OEM vehicles that come with ALL keys and accessories (and bonus points for unused accessories).

I would bet dollars to donuts if your car is for sale without a camp speaker, next to one with the exact same specs that includes it, yours will see significantly less interest. And those who aren't enthusiastically cruising the forums (which this may surprise you: is probably going to be the majority of future Rivian owners), will not 'understand' that camp speaker is not up to *your* standards and will go for it.

Furthermore, it's a subconscious thing: "If this guy lost/took/broke his camp speaker, what else is wrong with the used vehicle he's selling?"
I personally have zero use for the camp speaker. But as it is included as standard equipment, buyers will expect one.

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I think that I will keep Opal's OEM camp speaker. It never did work and has been safely stored in a bedroom closet. I envision one day in the hopefully distant future, our boys will be cleaning out our house after we are gone. One of them will come across Opal's camp speaker. The most likely comment will be, "what the hell is this thing?". This will be uttered immediately before it goes in the trash.

We already use this space for our Nikon P950. We will consider the replacement drawer when it become available.

Brian

Jimflip

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
FWIW, I bought one of these a while ago.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1495874771/drawer-for-rivian-r1tr1s

While it isn't a "secured container" it does click securely into place and is rather handy as an additional snack/out of sight storage organizer.

It is 3D printed - so expect some texture vs. a completely smooth molded plastic piece, but it's very well done & more than robust enough for my use. YMMV.

BCondrey

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT

While it isn't a "secured container" it does click securely into place and is rather handy as an additional snack/out of sight storage organizer.

It is 3D printed - so expect some texture vs. a completely smooth molded plastic piece, but it's very well done & more than robust enough for my use. YMMV.
I bought this for $44. Can't have enough storage. Camp speaker has been the garage speaker for months.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, ID.4
Occupation
Software Dev & VOL FF

Jim -- I made that drawer! Thank you for having purchased one, and mentioning it here. I'm always working on improving the print quality, and choosing better materials. I'm now printing them exclusively in ASA which is heat resistant and prints with a nicer, smoother finish.