Sponsored

Keycard works to drive but not to lock/unlock

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I searched but am not having any luck finding anyone with this specific problem.

I haven't used my keycard in weeks because PAAK has been uncharacteristically reliable*. The other day my phone died (as I was walking to the truck to charge it!) and my key card wouldn't let me in. Fortunately I was close to somewhere I could charge my phone so I charged it for a bit and was able to continue on, but that could have been a major problem.

I thought my keycard was the problem but when I went to troubleshoot I discovered it works to start the vehicle, but not to lock or unlock. (I turned off BT on my phone so I was not using PAAK and then was only able to lock/unlock with the app. Tapping the keycard inside the door worked to start the vehicle.)

Thoughts?

*I do still have to toggle BT every few days to get it to connect, but this has been working 100% of the time lately.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
I searched but am not having any luck finding anyone with this specific problem.

I haven't used my keycard in weeks because PAAK has been uncharacteristically reliable*. The other day my phone died (as I was walking to the truck to charge it!) and my key card wouldn't let me in. Fortunately I was close to somewhere I could charge my phone so I charged it for a bit and was able to continue on, but that could have been a major problem.

I thought my keycard was the problem but when I went to troubleshoot I discovered it works to start the vehicle, but not to lock or unlock. (I turned off BT on my phone so I was not using PAAK and then was only able to lock/unlock with the app. Tapping the keycard inside the door worked to start the vehicle.)

Thoughts?

*I do still have to toggle BT every few days to get it to connect, but this has been working 100% of the time lately.
Try the other card or keyband if you have it. Also try a vehicle reset. But it sounds like the door handle may have failed.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

In the past I think others have suggested to check the air compressor in the bed to see if that works (see if the digital gauge lights up), I think the compressor and the door have a common power supply or source. If it doesn't work, would need service.

AlexF

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, BMW
Occupation
Computer Systems Validation Engineer
I had this same issue. The key card and the wrist band would not unlock the vehicle at the drivers door handle, but they could start it using the inside of the door panel. I had to create a service ticket and bring it to the service center. It ended up being a SW issue and they had to reprogram the module which controls the NFC reader on the door handle.

The first thing they did was check the air compressor in the bed since it shares a power circuit as @ads75 mentioned, but that was all functional.

OP
OP

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I have a wristband so I'll try that, thanks. I can't try the other key card b/c my spouse is OOT and has it with them.

I'll also test the air compressor.

Did the visit require a SC or do you know if it could be done by mobile? My SC is 3.5h away. :/

Sponsored

OP
OP

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Update: air compressor works, wristband doesn't.

Time to call Rivian. I really hope they can do this as mobile b/c I don't relish a 7h round trip with the possibility of being locked out at any time. (I do have a fob but I don't 100% trust it, either. I miss metal keys.)

OP
OP

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Rivian is reaching out to the keycard team to see if there's anything they can do remotely (don't have high hopes for this, given the other replies here) and if not, they'll figure out whether they can service it via mobile or if it'll require a SC.

derekmw

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I assume you've used this previously and know that it's not like a Tesla where it instantly reads the card? For me, some days I have to hold it on the door handle almost 10 seconds before it finally reads the card.

OP
OP

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I assume you've used this previously and know that it's not like a Tesla where it instantly reads the card? For me, some days I have to hold it on the door handle almost 10 seconds before it finally reads the card.
Yes, but I've never had it take quite that long. I will give it another go with both the card & wrist band JIC though.

AlexF

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, BMW
Occupation
Computer Systems Validation Engineer
Rivian is reaching out to the keycard team to see if there's anything they can do remotely (don't have high hopes for this, given the other replies here) and if not, they'll figure out whether they can service it via mobile or if it'll require a SC.
I went through this process as well and they determined it required a service visit.

For my situation, they scheduled me at the service center. At that time, the SC was new and mobile service wasn't well established in my area.

Sponsored

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

This is meant as a smartass answer but, have a 5000mA battery pack with you at all times or at least if you know you are going to be away from your vehicle.

My wife and I have a couple and I have one with me at all times. Before I leave to go home, I plug my phone in at work and make sure it is charged.

When we had to valet the R1T, the keycard worked fine.

defcon888

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2021 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Occupation
Making money
Clubs

Well that's the point of the thread. In my case the door lock doesn't work properly so the keycard would not be a viable option for valet.
When you walk away does your Rivian lock automatically?. I know when I am about 30’ away it automatically locks.

140 degrees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Rivian R1T
Clubs

I had the case where the reader on the outside handle worked, but the one inside the door didn't. The service center replaced the sensor, and I haven't had a problem since. I reported the issue, but didn't go in until I had a second warranty item. In my experience, the fob is very reliable. You could carry it for the time being. Worst case, if you borrowed a phone, you could call Rivian and have it unlocked remotely.

OP
OP

hungrycaterpillar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
No great solutions from Rivian thus far. They say they can't fix it via mobile because they don't know what the problem is and it might require multiple trips.

Which means they're happy to trade my multiple trips for theirs. For me to bring it to, and leave it at, the service center means 14 hours of driving for me and two days lost. Plus those first 3.5 hours are in a truck that might lock me out at any point (there have been reports of the fobs failing, too.)

I'm really dismayed that the keycard system, which is supposed to be the failsafe (carry it in your wallet in case your phone dies!), can just fail.
Sponsored