Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

You may have had a bad experience. Mine looks amazing but I did the newer graphene
I had looked into graphene but I read a few articles that compared the two and seem to remember ceramic coating came out better. will try to find the links.
Sponsored

KurtP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X5
I wonder if, by the time we get to solid state batteries, a full battery replacement could be a viable path.

I think some Nissan Leaf owners have done that to prolong their car's life.

This is totally an uneducated guess at price but $10k-$20K for another 10 years of life could be doable.

I have always wondered about the possibility of extending the life of EVs by updating the drivetrain.
I did assume that the bms as well as the pack itself would need to be updated, but if this could be done, this would mean staving off obsolescence - beyond the extended lifespan.
This should be a marketing point of EV manufacturers!

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Good evening everyone....

Maybe this will sound like a ridiculous question, but should the R1T hold up fine being kept outside? I have a Tesla model S and my wife has a Lexus GS 350 F sport. We have always kept them in the garage. We also have an old 2007 Toyota Corolla that is kept in the driveway for our mother in law to use, but the paint has begun to peel pretty bad.

When I get my Rivian, I would keep it in the garage, but it will not fit so I will have to keep it in the driveway.

My neighbors all have trucks and they seem fine. I think they get them detailed annually or every six months, but they don't even keep them under a cover. I plan on getting both a PPF (full front) and ceramic coating, but would hate to have my R1T messed up because it is not in the garage.

As always, thanks in advance for the replies

Adam
I don’t have a garage and I am considering getting a carport. Here is the brand that I am looking at.
https://canopia.com/product-category/carports/

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
I had looked into graphene but I read a few articles that compared the two and seem to remember ceramic coating came out better. will try to find the links.
Use Glassparency products. I did some research on it as well and it sounds like Glassparency used real graphene while other products only have specs. I have it on my truck and it's amazing

Sponsored

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
How much are those?
If you click on the link, you can view the different carports this company sells and click on the view range to get the cost. They are not cheap. $2,500-$8,000 depending on which style you want.

Rivian R1T R1S Keeping my Rivian outside? 33728102-85EC-4811-91B3-6F2E1083EF84

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

I suspect the Rivian might be different. I don’t think these early generation electric cars will age as well as todays ICE vehicles just because the area will see more innovation.
Sorry for the delayed response. Busy weekend!

For me, I think there are some factors that will make these EVs age better than most cars: noticeably the start of OTA updates. Shoot, I think Tesla has even let you upgrade some of the tech related stuff (processors, etc) after purchase to keep pace with new OTA updates. 10 years from now a 0-60 time of 3 seconds will still be more than I need / want. The Rivian will still be more off road capable than I need. Now if we actually have a self driving breakthrough that requires new hardware, I agree with you. However, I think we are still a ways off from real self driving.

The only real question mark to me is the battery / charging process. Personally I think we are still a long way away from a big leap in battery technology. Plus, for many people, myself included, ~300 miles of range meets their needs for around 360 days a year. If the charging infrastructure improves such that we can pull a full 500amps at 450 volts when we need to on those 5 days a year when we need the extra range, I am not sure too many people will spend a big chunk of change to upgrade to 800v architecture. Right now people have tons of range anxiety, after living with an EV that will be alleviated, and if there are chargers everywhere you need them, it will vanish.

So I think the biggest reason we might see these early gen EV's age poorly is if they show large battery degradation and range drops. That hasn't happened with Tesla's, but other manufactures haven't proven they can avoid it yet, so time will tell.

Now all of the above is from my personal POV. I totally understand some people have use cases that require 400+ miles of range weekly. I understand there are people that need to DC fast charge daily or multiple times a week. For those people, there will likely be a strong desire to upgrade, however, looking at US average driving habits, it is a small number of people that will be truly impacted.

OP
OP
abirozy

abirozy

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
tesla model s, lexus gs 350 f sport, toyota corolla
Occupation
lawyer
Clubs

Use Glassparency products. I did some research on it as well and it sounds like Glassparency used real graphene while other products only have specs. I have it on my truck and it's amazing
will look it up thanks. How long ago did you apply it? Did you have it done professionally or yourself?

No.92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
will look it up thanks. How long ago did you apply it? Did you have it done professionally or yourself?
I had it professionally done. I would not have the skill or patience to do it on my own. I did it about 2 or 3 months ago

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Sun, bird poop (acidic), tree sap, and hard water spots from rain or sprinklers are your enemies. Sunbake the last three ingredients and it becomes a battle. Hail and high winds up the pucker factor.

Keeping her clean will be a frequent duty, so a car cover can help a ton.

Sponsored

R1Tmcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

If you click on the link, you can view the different carports this company sells and click on the view range to get the cost. They are not cheap. $2,500-$8,000 depending on which style you want.

33728102-85EC-4811-91B3-6F2E1083EF84.png
Did you end up moving forward with a pre-made or custom build for a carport?

I've been reaching out to builders recently and am getting (in my opinion) absolutely ludicrous quotes. One wood build carport for 17.5k and one sunshade sail build for 17k....this is for our ~8x20 single car driveway.

John G.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Retired
Good evening everyone....

Maybe this will sound like a ridiculous question, but should the R1T hold up fine being kept outside?

When I get my Rivian, I would keep it in the garage, but it will not fit so I will have to keep it in the driveway.

My neighbors all have trucks and they seem fine. I think they get them detailed annually or every six months, but they don't even keep them under a cover. I plan on getting both a PPF (full front) and ceramic coating, but would hate to have my R1T messed up because it is not in the garage.

As always, thanks in advance for the replies

Adam
Mine stays out all the time and is parked in front of the garage. I've had it now for about three months and recorded about 2400 miles. I had both PPF and Ceramic Solution applied, also. The Ceramic Solution really surprised me at how well it causes water from the rain to encapsulate dirt and pollen, and sluff it right off the surface of the truck.

The technician that put on the ceramic told me it should be good for about 6-years. But I didn't tell him I planned on keeping the truck outside not in the garage, as well as, running it through touchless car washes. I could get a couple years of wear maybe with those custom finishes? If, so, I'm good with that. If need be, I could always apply more Ceramic at a later time as needed.

What I keep reminding myself is that it's just a truck, although the best one I think I've ever experienced. And, other than that, it's all part of the Adventure, right?

Rivian R1T R1S Keeping my Rivian outside? Rivian 2

Last edited:

LTD in CBTS

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model 3, Vespa 300, R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I have thought about a car port, but it would look strange if i put it in the driveway...
I am in San Diego. After 10 years of my F-150 sitting in my parking pad, the paint on the hood starting peeling away. Looked like crap. I cant fit my R1T in the garage either but I had a carport built with powder-coated steel and a sunbrella shade. Looks good and works great. But I live behind a private gate and nobody can see it. I imagine it might look awkward on an exposed neighborhood driveway. The pre-fab cheap carports look like crap. I had mine custom built and installed. It even has a roll down front that can block the low winter south sun.

Rivian R1T R1S Keeping my Rivian outside? IMG_5087

Longhorngirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Highlander
Occupation
Actuary
Did you end up moving forward with a pre-made or custom build for a carport?

I've been reaching out to builders recently and am getting (in my opinion) absolutely ludicrous quotes. One wood build carport for 17.5k and one sunshade sail build for 17k....this is for our ~8x20 single car driveway.
I haven’t moved forward with a carport. I agree that the quote you got is ridiculous. Lumber prices have come done considerably from the beginning of this year. I feel that inflation isn’t coming down because as supply chains ease and raw material prices come down, prices charged to consumers don’t reflect the price decrease.
Sponsored