Sponsored

Just Bought a Set of the 20 inch Brights

140 degrees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Rivian R1T
Clubs

I decided to order my R1T with the standard 21 inch rims and buy a set of the 20s afterwards. Upgrading your configuration currently costs $3850 to get the rims, then another $900 for a spare. This also includes the underbody shield. If you don't need the shield, you can buy second set of rims afterwards for $4300. I plan to use one of the alternate set for my spare, and do a 4-wheel rotation in the spring and fall. It also helps to keep vehicle purchase cost down if you want to stay under 80K for the tax incentive.

I think the 20 inch brights look good and have a nice flat profile for increased range. Usually a smaller diameter rim has better range than a larger one. With the right tires, I think these rims could rival the 21s for range. I understand why they aren't popular for off-roading. They look like they would be easy to scratch while rock crawling. That is probably why they were obsoleted.

I'll report back in the fall after I make the switch.
Sponsored

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
Underbody shield seems definitely quieter with my 20's vs. the loaner that didn't have it with the same wheels. I could immediately tell the difference with highway driving.

OP
OP

140 degrees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Rivian R1T
Clubs

Underbody shield seems definitely quieter with my 20's vs. the loaner that didn't have it with the same wheels. I could immediately tell the difference with highway driving.
Very good point. This may be why they coupled them together in the configuration.

runwithscissors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC90, MDX, R1S
Very good point. This may be why they coupled them together in the configuration.
Rivian engineering told me in person there was no difference but it's not like they could say ya you need a RUS to be quiet on the road with 20's. I definitely noticed the difference but have no scientific data to prove it. Others on the forums have said the same and I'm glad I sprung for the RUS when I picked mine since it can't be added afterwards.

OP
OP

140 degrees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3, Rivian R1T
Clubs

I'm willing to try it out and report back. If it is an issue, the next set of tires on those rims will have a less aggressive tread. Also, a lower rolling resistance tire will help with range.

Acon

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I decided to order my R1T with the standard 21 inch rims and buy a set of the 20s afterwards. Upgrading your configuration currently costs $3850 to get the rims, then another $900 for a spare. This also includes the underbody shield. If you don't need the shield, you can buy second set of rims afterwards for $4300. I plan to use one of the alternate set for my spare, and do a 4-wheel rotation in the spring and fall. It also helps to keep vehicle purchase cost down if you want to stay under 80K for the tax incentive.

I think the 20 inch brights look good and have a nice flat profile for increased range. Usually a smaller diameter rim has better range than a larger one. With the right tires, I think these rims could rival the 21s for range. I understand why they aren't popular for off-roading. They look like they would be easy to scratch while rock crawling. That is probably why they were obsoleted.

I'll report back in the fall after I make the switch.
I had the standard 20" rims for the R1T spec'd out for my R1S and went with the brights in the end. I am really happy with the choice now with my forrest green paint choice. It needs some bright there!
Sponsored