Sponsored

Is this the future or will it remain a concept?

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
Cool feature on the Hyundai Ionic(?) I saw on IG is a rear wheel steering which makes that Tank-turn really doable.
Sponsored

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
fun

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Hummer EV has this.
GMC offered it (Quadrasteer) in the mid-2000's on their Sierra Denali pickups.

I wouldn't say it's the "future". It's a nice feature, but it's been done for a while.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I guarantee you that it'll eventually happen. All you're looking at is a combination of hub motors in AWD, 4wheel steering, and the ability to turn all 4 wheels in that manner. It's not a massive technical uplift. You'll see if in Europe and Asian countries sooner than later. It'll eventually come to the US but there isn't as much of a need for it so we'll get it later.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I wouldn't expect it from Hyundai anytime soon. Also, if someone can't park an Ioniq5 with it's 360 degree cameras, etc they might need to just take the bus.

Sponsored

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
I don't think the typical human driver is capable of using a feature like this safely. Human drivers have enough difficulty with 2 drive modes (forward and reverse). Once robots take over, I think there is a chance that this could be common.

Hummer EV has this.

I wouldn't say it's the "future". It's a nice feature, but it's been done for a while.
Did you watch the video? It isn't just 4 wheel steering. This video shows steering that allows the wheels to rotate 90+ degrees.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Hummer EV has this.

Crabwalk is close but not quite this. The wheels can't turn to that extreme of an angle for things like parallel parking.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Hummer EV has this.

Hummer is limited to 10 degrees of turning on the rear wheels. This car can do 90 on every wheel.

jeeden

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, 2016 Ford Escape, 2015 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Project Manager
Clubs

The other issue here is that all the other vehicles need to be capable of using the same feature. Even if I had a vehicle that could do it today I wouldn't use it because it is just asking for the person behind you or in front of you to smash into your car trying to get out of the space.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Sent the video to my wife and this was her reply: That music is way too dramatic for a car that is going “I’ll just scoot right in here, thanks”

Sponsored

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Hummer EV has this.

Actually, GM's Quadrasteer was offered from 2002 to 2005. It was offered on both half ton Sierras and Silverados. It was also offered on 3/4 ton Suburbans and Yukon XLs. It could only be installed on vehicles with rear leaf springs. The half ton Suburbans had already gone to coil spring rear suspensions. I owned two Quadrasteer Suburbans. They were the greatest trucks I ever owned until we got our R1T. I used to call them my "trick" suburbans. They had the turning radius of a Honda Civic. The rear steering radius was 12 degrees.

Quadrasteer never sold very well. It was a $5K option when a new Suburban stickered for $40K.

Brian

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I work for Hyundai (in Cybersecurity) and I can tell you it'll probably be a long time before that comes to market.

Hyundai Mobis is one of the business units in the Hyundai family (there are 30-40 of them just in the US) and they concentrate on new parts/tech. They're just testing/playing with stuff. Doesn't necessarily mean it'll be released.

I'll caveat this to say that I don't work for Mobis so I can't say for sure. But we see "cool/interesting" stuff like this often. They like to test stuff. We have flying vehicles and semi trucks too. But it'll be a long time before you can buy one. :p

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
There was a Honda Prelude in the late 1980's that had limited 4 wheel steer. I think other followed.

Aside from that, it seems doubtful that a company that removes 12v plug in the frunk to save $ believes this is something customers want to pay for.

The cost of engineering this into the rest of the Rivian adjustable height drive train might surprise some folks if it is even possible.

Or not.....

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Maannn, Hyundai owns Boston Dynamics.

super disappointing this thing doesn’t have LEGS

TuggyTooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 Silverado LBZ, 2023 Rivian R1S LE FG/FE
Occupation
Military
I didnt realize I needed a tank-turn feature in my life until RJ confirmed the tank-turn was dead a couple days ago :(

It went against the Rivian ethos. Apparently it is pretty destructive on anything but pavement.
Sponsored

Reactions: Rad