Sponsored

Is the Model X now a better buy over R1S? (WARNING: NO ELON MUSK DISCUSSIONS)

R1TS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
R1S is kind of a unicorn in the current market. Best SUV feature set at the best price
I strongly believe Rivian needs to get both battery configurations of the non-performance dual motor variant under $80K to compete when other brands start bringing out their 3-row SUVs, ie. Kia and Volvo.
Not every future EV SUV buyer is going to want to pay a premium for the best off-roading capability. Right now, Rivian has a first to market advantage but that won’t be the case forever.

I recently had the chance to sit in a demo Kia EV9. Although the size isn’t the same as a Rivian, creature comforts, especially the seats in all 3 rows, were significantly more comfortable than in both the Rivian and Tesla.
Sponsored

paco180

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Having owned a model X & S, Bottom line, Is a better buy if you think LESS IS MORE!

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
I've never owned a model x but I have driven the latest one it seemed very decent for what it was. At the current price it seems to be a steal especially if you can get the fed and a state credit. I feel like people own a tesla for one of two reasons now with so many other options, cost and charging reliability. I sometimes get the urge to buy a stripped down model 3 to commute in as I'm putting way too many miles on my R1t.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
The X isn't an SUV but if you need a compact station wagon that looks like a 1990s Maytag washer go for it.

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
My girlfriend is wanting me to re-consider the R1S for her and look at the X now with the price difference. This X price, especially with the tax rebate, makes the R1S harder to justify. Even with the R1S being pre-price hike for $80K. Also considering she kinda freaked out when I told her Rivian doesn't have lane centering on anything but Interstates and kinda is crappy even there.

IMO this X price is going to eat significantly into Rivian's demand and her and I both feel the Rivians re-sale value is going to take a decent hit. The post-price-hike R1S's going for $100K are going to pile up shortly.

Sponsored

Better Late than Never

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Desk jockey
I've been looking for options for an EV family hauler. I have an R1T, so zero need for another "adventure" vehicle. Was considering Model Y, but I need a bit more size. Model X was too expensive, and I was not considering it. The Volvo EX90 looks like an option but not clear what the price will be yet. I was thinking R1S is probably the #1 choice for me and I do have a reservation, but I just realized that with the new price on the Model X it's now pretty competitive.

Cheapest Model X is 79,990. Only 5 seats, but you get 348 miles range and 3.8 0-60.
Cheapest R1S is $78,000. You get 7 seats, but you only get 260 miles of range and 4.5 0-60.

If you care about range and don't need more than 5 seats, the Model X looks pretty good. But if you configure them as similar as possible the Model X is a lot cheaper.

Model X dual motor with 7 seats, 348 miles range, and 3.8 0-60 = $83,490
R1S dual motor with 7 seats, 340 miles range, and 3.5 0-60 = $89,000

That being said, I have a quad R1T so I don't care that much about 0-60 times for this buy, so in reality I wouldn't get the performance dual-motor R1S, so would be looking at $84,000 if I went R1S. I also don't really need 7 seats, so would probably get a $79,990 Model X. So about $4K cheaper to go with the Model X for my needs.

Plus considering you can actually buy a Model X at that price today and they are not even shipping dual motor R1S yet and probably > 1 year to get one if you don't have a reservation, makes the X look like a decent pick.

I know Rivian well with 6K miles on my R1T so I know what to expect. I've never owned a Tesla nor have I driven an X, but I've read that the Model X is a bit more refined and quieter. Plus the model X is a lot more efficient. Anything I'm missing?
I think everyone is ignoring the ride experience and quality. For all the fanboys who want to immediately point out that the MX isn't a real sub they should at the same time acknowledge that the Rivian isn't a real luxury vehicle. The MX is head
Just my opinion, but they're not even in the same class of vehicle. The X is a CUV, the R1S is an SUV and way more capable.
My experience - we own a 2022 Model X 6-seater and I drove an R1S for three days a couple weeks back (Turo is great). As much as everyone wants to highlight the fact that the MX isn't an SUV, you all also need to also accept that the R1S isn't a luxury vehicle. Yes it has a touch screen that controls much of what you do, but so do a lot of cars on the road today. I can't get ober that the rear two rows of seats are manual operation and the doors are a bear to close.

I'll give the R1S a legup for the frunk operation which, on the X is disapointing. But all of the doors open and close themselves on the MX with the push of a button. Or with the PAAK. Everything works on the Teslas because, as some have pointed out, Tesla has ten years of engineering ahead of Rivian. Doesn't make Rivian bad just that with a tesla, you;re not a beta tester like you are with Rivian

I don't have the save experience with range as everyone else. Several road trips and we're seeing the 350 range we are supposed to see.

I'm a big Alexa user so the R1 is great in that sense. I don't like the Tesla voice commands.

Yes the Tesla is more or less a luxury minivan. But it's a great vehicle. I wouldn't discount it simply because it can't go off road as effectively as an R1S.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I think everyone is ignoring the ride experience and quality. For all the fanboys who want to immediately point out that the MX isn't a real sub they should at the same time acknowledge that the Rivian isn't a real luxury vehicle. The MX is head

My experience - we own a 2022 Model X 6-seater and I drove an R1S for three days a couple weeks back (Turo is great). As much as everyone wants to highlight the fact that the MX isn't an SUV, you all also need to also accept that the R1S isn't a luxury vehicle. Yes it has a touch screen that controls much of what you do, but so do a lot of cars on the road today. I can't get ober that the rear two rows of seats are manual operation and the doors are a bear to close.

I'll give the R1S a legup for the frunk operation which, on the X is disapointing. But all of the doors open and close themselves on the MX with the push of a button. Or with the PAAK. Everything works on the Teslas because, as some have pointed out, Tesla has ten years of engineering ahead of Rivian. Doesn't make Rivian bad just that with a tesla, you;re not a beta tester like you are with Rivian

I don't have the save experience with range as everyone else. Several road trips and we're seeing the 350 range we are supposed to see.

I'm a big Alexa user so the R1 is great in that sense. I don't like the Tesla voice commands.

Yes the Tesla is more or less a luxury minivan. But it's a great vehicle. I wouldn't discount it simply because it can't go off road as effectively as an R1S.
My other ride is an Audi SQ5 Prestige which I'm sure we can both agree qualifies as a not base model luxury German CUV. I don't really see where my R1 is that far behind in materials over the Audi. Sure the seating surfaces aren't as nice but the wood inlay is nicer than my Audi. The interface and tech works better in my Rivian than the native Audi interface. They both have heated and cooled seats. The Audi lane keep works a little better but I really only use that on the freeway and all the ones around here are mapped for driver+ anyways so I'd say that's a wash too.

What features is Rivian missing exactly to be "luxury" in your eyes because to mine, comparing it to my other luxury vehicles I'd say it holds its own.

Better Late than Never

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Desk jockey
My other ride is an Audi SQ5 Prestige which I'm sure we can both agree qualifies as a not base model luxury German CUV. I don't really see where my R1 is that far behind in materials over the Audi. Sure the seating surfaces aren't as nice but the wood inlay is nicer than my Audi. The interface and tech works better in my Rivian than the native Audi interface. They both have heated and cooled seats. The Audi lane keep works a little better but I really only use that on the freeway and all the ones around here are mapped for driver+ anyways so I'd say that's a wash too.

What features is Rivian missing exactly to be "luxury" in your eyes because to mine, comparing it to my other luxury vehicles I'd say it holds its own.
I'll agree that it had luxury features, but compared to the modern x I think it falls short. I'm hung up on the second and third row seats being manual. If you're using this as a people hauler, kids can't get themselves in the back.
The R1S that I drive had terrible speakers and it's only the months old. The doors were difficult to close.
Tesla 's doors open and close on their own from your key fob or the app. I don't expect that but if at least like to see the loving mechanism draw the doors shut like I have in the trunk of my 2005 4runner.

the model x can't do this because of the door configuration, but Kia, Audi, Volvo all have sunshades in their huge glass roofs. Why can't rivian do that? The AC on the R1S I drove also struggled in 90 degree DC heat, which is hot but not that hot. A sunshade may have helped.

Again, the frunk operation (and size) crushes Tesla so I have to give it to rivian there.

i just think the model x is a much more refined car.

I think a lot of the "luxury" features in the R1S are more standard.

Better Late than Never

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Desk jockey
I'll agree that it had luxury features, but compared to the modern x I think it falls short. I'm hung up on the second and third row seats being manual. If you're using this as a people hauler, kids can't get themselves in the back.
The R1S that I drive had terrible speakers and it's only the months old. The doors were difficult to close.
Tesla 's doors open and close on their own from your key fob or the app. I don't expect that but if at least like to see the loving mechanism draw the doors shut like I have in the trunk of my 2005 4runner.

the model x can't do this because of the door configuration, but Kia, Audi, Volvo all have sunshades in their huge glass roofs. Why can't rivian do that? The AC on the R1S I drove also struggled in 90 degree DC heat, which is hot but not that hot. A sunshade may have helped.

Again, the frunk operation (and size) crushes Tesla so I have to give it to rivian there.

Let me add that I love the etron and would get it if it had the rows and still might get it. So agreed your Audi is luxury.

Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things

Maybe that's a matter of perspective but I test drove an X and I like my Rivian much better. I feel that has more to do with what you're used to. I also don't think manual seats in the rear are much of an issue but then again I have a T so those features don't matter to me to start with.

Better Late than Never

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Desk jockey
Maybe that's a matter of perspective but I test drove an X and I like my Rivian much better. I feel that has more to do with what you're used to. I also don't think manual seats in the rear are much of an issue but then again I have a T so those features don't matter to me to start with.
It feels like going to a fancy restaurant and having a good meal but then getting warm beer in a paper cup. It's kind of like really ? this is the best you could do with this?

A Land Rover Forever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, PorscheGTS, BMWi3, Tacoma Crew

I'm not sure what he's talking about, I have owned 7 Land Rovers, 5 of them Range Rovers, and the recent was top of the line 500+ supercharged with every option. The real thing that I will miss is the heated windshield after a day of snowboarding in the pow. Also, I live on a street that is always the last to be plowed, so lifting the suspension to the top is a must to drive out. It was a plus for the Range Rover, and I think the Rivian will do just as well if not better. The Tesla would have you stuck in 7 seconds! Missing the first chair and shoveling yourself out for hours:CWL:

A Land Rover Forever

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover, PorscheGTS, BMWi3, Tacoma Crew
So, are you going to dissuade people from buying a Rivian when they become more prevalent as well?
Maybe, I don't know yet. I'm pretty fly when it comes to assertions. Though time will tell, but so far it's just been this Tesla one.
Sponsored