Sponsored

iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I posted this is the cell phone mount thread, but I’m using the Apple OEM MagSafe charger in a 3rd party puck, which has some sort of non permanent tacky substance on the bottom.

Charged my iPhone 14 Pro perfectly and it doesn’t slip at all on the OEM rubber pad. The OEM Qi charging pad is unplugged.

The only trick is lifting the phone off the MagSafe without the whole assembly coming up, but with one phone on the pad, it’s pretty easy to slide a couple fingers underneath the phone and push off slightly on the charging puck to release the phone.

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad A7495A65-19F3-4A2B-9829-55F0F4B262D7
Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad A206F0FA-A5C5-4923-95C4-354F43DAA454
Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad A8A21C69-2D7B-4517-8EE1-D899ED238F62
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jus10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sold it in August thinking my R1T was close.....
I just got a 14 Pro max (dont have a case yet), after 20 mins it was so hot to the touch I was concerned would damage my phone. I just pulled up the rivian wireless charger and unplugged it for now, until they (hopefully) come out with a software toggle for it. It took 3 minutes.

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I have one ordered and have the Riviparts Magsafe upgrade. I will try it out when mine gets here. For my current 12 pro, I have the Magbak case, which is a very strong magnet. It stays in place and charges fine with the Riviparts charger mod. With other magsafe compatible cases it would still slide around, and only charge if perfectly placed and you weren't moving, same as the original charger.

Mcdubjr

Site Sponsor
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
adventurehightech.com
Vehicles
Mazda CX-9
Occupation
Software Guy
Clubs

Had the same experience with my new iPhone 14 Pro with Apple Leather case not working at all.

Went with this as the simple solution, two Apple Magsafe Chargers and Gorilla Mounting Putty. Phones stay put and charges faster than the pad. Putty lets me easily lift the phone up without the puck if that wasn't obvious. I unplugged the Rivian pad for... safety??

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad Ima

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
I understand the frustration, and decided to go another route.

I found these awesome USB-C to Lightning cables on Amazon...

USB-C to Lightning Cable - 0.5ft (0.2m)

These are stiff enough to stay put and out of the way for your center console storage. They are also short enough to keep your phone(s) tethered and not have them fly all over on rough terrain.

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad IMG_0572
Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad IMG_0571

In my case my personal phone is on the left and my work "Bat Phone" is on the right. Yeah, Im kind of a big deal around here. But on trips the right side is reserved for the Wife unit.

If you need to pick up either phone, the cable disconnects without damage just by pulling on the phone with some light pressure. Yeah, I know, over time that may cause the cable to fail. But for now it works.

These work well for me. YMMV

Last edited:

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I understand the frustration, and decided to go another route.

I found these awesome USB-C to Lightning cables on Amazon...

USB-C to Lightning Cable - 0.5ft (0.2m)

These are stiff enough to stay put and out of the way for your center console storage. They are also short enough to keep your phone(s) tethered and not have them fly all over on rough terrain.

IMG_0572.jpeg
IMG_0571.jpeg

In my case my personal phone is on the left and my work "Bat Phone" is on the right. Yeah, Im kind of a big deal around here. But on trips the right side is reserved for the Wife unit.

If you need to pick up either phone, the cable disconnects without damage just by pulling on the phone with some light pressure. Yeah, I know, over time that may cause the cable to fail. But for now it works.

These work well for me. YMMV
Did you disconnect your wireless pad? If not, have you experienced any issues with having the phones plugged in but the pad trying to connect to them?

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Did you disconnect your wireless pad? If not, have you experienced any issues with having the phones plugged in but the pad trying to connect to them?
Someone must have turned off the pad prior to my delivery, as it has never once tried to connect to my iPhones. So no issue that I am aware of. I will verify that my pad is "off" and report back in a bit.

Last edited:

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
I came up with a similar design to hold an Apple MagSafe charger in place. It’s a simple clip on mount made of PETG plastic. If anyone is interested in this solution send me a message.
Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad A0E88C85-7A63-447B-BAEB-0BFB2AEC2650
Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad BA4CBB4F-AF7F-4F17-B3EA-964EC3D730E0

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
Someone must have turned off the pad prior to my delivery, as it has never once tried to connect to my iPhones. So no issue that I am aware of. I will verify that my pad is "off" and report back in a bit.
OK. I cannot find any "On/Off" function anywhere in the Rivian documentation, so I must assume it is "always on". If that is the case, my pad has never worked properly since day 1.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I came up with a similar design to hold an Apple MagSafe charger in place. It’s a simple clip on mount made of PETG plastic. If anyone is interested in this solution send me a message.
A0E88C85-7A63-447B-BAEB-0BFB2AEC2650.jpeg
BA4CBB4F-AF7F-4F17-B3EA-964EC3D730E0.jpeg

Is that a MagBak case? Looks like like mine. I just started using it. Magnet is noticeably stronger than the Apple OEM MagSafe cases.

Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
OK. I cannot find any "On/Off" function anywhere in the Rivian documentation, so I must assume it is "always on". If that is the case, my pad has never worked properly since day 1.
I believe those who have turned it "off" opened up the console area and disconnected the wiring from the charging pad. I dont think theres a switch of any sort available to users to turn it off.

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is that a MagBak case? Looks like like mine. I just started using it. Magnet is noticeably stronger than the Apple OEM MagSafe cases.
Yes it is!! Love this new case. The wallet feature is the greatest.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
A0E88C85-7A63-447B-BAEB-0BFB2AEC2650.jpeg
BA4CBB4F-AF7F-4F17-B3EA-964EC3D730E0.jpeg

I've been working on something that is very similar to this. Have you had any issues with heat or the pad lifting off when you detach the phone?

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've been working on something that is very similar to this. Have you had any issues with heat or the pad lifting off when you detach the phone?
No heat issues. The MagSafe charger is about 2.5mm from the mat so it’s not making contact with the Rivian charger. I print them with PETG so no warping issues. They clip in to place firmly so haven’t experienced any lifting issues. I’ve been testing it for a few weeks. With temps ranging from 60s at night to 90s during the day with the car parked outside.
Sponsored