iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad

evaughan3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Wrangler, 911
The “bump” on the new iPhone camera now keeps the phone too far away from the charging mat to take a charge. The charge mat (which was persnickety to begin with) is not of no use…
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
So glad I have a 14 Pro on the way that I will likely still have when I get my truck next year.

skunn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T, Tesla Model 3
oops.

Mine 14 is coming next week. Guess ill get to use that USB-C to lightning cable!

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

My 13 Pro is *SUPER* flaky with the charge pad on both the Rivian and my Mach-E. The Mach-E, it will consistently start charging, then stop some multiple of 30 seconds later. (Exactly 30 seconds, exactly 60 seconds, etc.) Almost always within 5 minutes.

On the Rivian, it's hit or miss if it even starts. I've found that a case that "levels out the camera bump" makes it more likely to charge, but still not great. I have the kit by RWerksman to swap out the factory charge pads with magnetic ones, I just haven't gotten around to installing it yet.

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
It's not the bump. You need a wireless friendly case for any phone that has a bump so that it makes a flat surface.. I use an otter box case with mine and it works fine. The pad itself isn't the most reliable because it slides around, but it works.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
It's not the bump. You need a wireless friendly case for any phone that has a bump so that it makes a flat surface.. I use an otter box case with mine and it works fine. The pad itself isn't the most reliable because it slides around, but it works.
Yes and no - it basically boils down to the distance between the coils in the Rivian charger to the coil in the back of your phone. With the enlarged camera bumps in the iPhone 12, 13, and now 14 it makes the distance even that much further so it will never reliably work well.

To be fair, some cases just don't work with wireless charging, so that can also dork it up, but using a special case to get your late model iPhone working just isn't reliably a thing.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes and no - it basically boils down to the distance between the coils in the Rivian charger to the coil in the back of your phone. With the enlarged camera bumps in the iPhone 12, 13, and now 14 it makes the distance even that much further so it will never reliably work well.

To be fair, some cases just don't work with wireless charging, so that can also dork it up, but using a special case to get your late model iPhone working just isn't reliably a thing.
I'm using a 13 pro with an otter box case and it works.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I'm using a 13 pro with an otter box case and it works.
My wife has an iPhone 13 Pro with an Otterbox case and it's never worked. She's actually the reason why I made what I did.

I don't know what else to say...

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My wife has an iPhone 13 Pro with an Otterbox case and it's never worked. She's actually the reason why I made what I did.

I don't know what else to say...
that's great. It just shows everyone should try to solve the issues specific to their trucks and know that one person's experience is not universal.

There are a lot of options for cases that don't require modifying the truck. I know people have had great luck with the Otterbox Lumen Series for the 14.

I just think it's a little inflammatory to declare in the thread title that the 14 doesn't work with the Rivian based on a single experience and a phone that's only been out for a week.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
that's great. It just shows everyone should try to solve the issues specific to their trucks and know that one person's experience is not universal.

There are a lot of options for cases that don't require modifying the truck. I know people have had great luck with the Otterbox Lumen Series for the 14.

I just think it's a little inflammatory to declare in the thread title that the 14 doesn't work with the Rivian based on a single experience and a phone that's only been out for a week.
I feel like that I need to be more precise here because what I've intended isn't landing how I intended it to.

I'm not saying that it 100% will not work. I am saying that, in my opinion, we should assume that the iPhone 14 series will have significant difficulty working with the OEM charging pad.

I am saying this because the iPhone 14 has a slightly larger camera bump than the 13 and 12. Combine this with the large amount of folks who have reported issues with the iPhone 12 and 13 which are shaped identically (except for the camera), and you have a scenario that presents no obvious indications of superior compatibility.

Additionally, I very much hope to be incorrect here. I think it's ridiculous that this is even a thing.

Also, just to be comprehensive - In my first post about developing a replacement for the stock wireless charger, I specifically mentioned that I was testing with a phone wearing an Otterbox Lumen series case and it had zero effect on compatibility. It's a wonderful case, but it will not solve wireless charging issues with the Rivian.

I apologize if it came out wrong - I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, just helpful. I'd hate for someone to go upgrade just to find their new iPhone is doing the same thing.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I feel like that I need to be more precise here because what I've intended isn't landing how I intended it to.

I'm not saying that it 100% will not work. I am saying that, in my opinion, we should assume that the iPhone 14 series will have significant difficulty working with the OEM charging pad.

I am saying this because the iPhone 14 has a slightly larger camera bump than the 13 and 12. Combine this with the large amount of folks who have reported issues with the iPhone 12 and 13 which are shaped identically (except for the camera), and you have a scenario that presents no obvious indications of superior compatibility.

Additionally, I very much hope to be incorrect here. I think it's ridiculous that this is even a thing.

Also, just to be comprehensive - In my first post about developing a replacement for the stock wireless charger, I specifically mentioned that I was testing with a phone wearing an Otterbox Lumen series case and it had zero effect on compatibility. It's a wonderful case, but it will not solve wireless charging issues with the Rivian.

I apologize if it came out wrong - I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, just helpful. I'd hate for someone to go upgrade just to find their new iPhone is doing the same thing.
its all good. I am happy people like yourself are developing aftermarket products and I think it’s admirable.

I was just sharing that I don’t have the issue you have and my buddy just upgraded to the 14 and his lumen case works with his R1T as well as mine works with an older phone.

Like most things on the Rivian, not every truck has the same quirks so we just have to be careful declaring that something doesn’t work for Rivian just because it doesn’t work on our personal trucks. Some people have working tonneau covers and some don’t, etc but we don’t want to scare potential buyers in to thinking that a new truck might have the same exact issue as an early build. Lots of little things are being upgraded along the way.

but again- I do appreciate what you are doing working on products and I’m not criticizing your efforts at all and apologize if it came across that way.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
I had a 11 pro max that charged fine. Just upgraded to the 14 pro max, with a very similar thickness and material type case. I've had no luck getting the 14 pro max to charge. (Even without the case). Wasn't surprised, since my wife's 12 pro max didn't charge reliably, and the efforts to address charging problems with similar iPhones.

The 14's and 14 pro's have only been out for a day (deliveries started yesterday). Still, I also don't think its that inflammatory to say Rivian wireless charging with the 14 pro models doesn't work well enough to be useful, esp given all the reported 12/13 pro charging problems. Haven't kept up with the 12/13/14 non pro models.

The additional camera thickness is not trivial, but I think there's something (not?) going on with Apple Magsafe capable phones and the Rivian charger.

The charging pad is a feature I'd really like Rivian to fix.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
I don’t know what Tesla is doing differently with their wireless chargers, but it’s always worked reliably (other than getting quite toasty). I’ve already charged my iPhone 14 pro a handful of times in my MY without issue. It’s a bummer that this is a problem on the R1. I don’t see this being a particular priority for them to fix in the immediate future with the other larger issues. Guess aftermarket solutions will be the way for the time being.

When I rented a R1T and used my case-less iPhone 13 pro. It indicated charging but I did not look to see if there was an increase in battery at the end of each drive. Camera bump on the 14 pro is massive a decent step up from the 13 pro.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

I don’t know what Tesla is doing differently with their wireless chargers, but it’s always worked reliably (other than getting quite toasty).
I think the Tesla ones work is because the camera bump is a non-factor.

On the Model 3 charging pad, the top portion is recessed, so the charging coils sit flush with the pad.

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad E6C3A4B4-8F2C-46E4-8969-8624E5CD941E

On the Model S, the camera portion sits above charging pad in the center console.

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad D334F115-A003-4F08-BEEC-14A6AE39CD70

It’s rather shocking that the Rivian design team couldn’t come up with a good location to mount and charge at least one phone.

I think the Model 3 got the phone location perfect.
Sponsored