First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Keep in mind that Lucid and Tesla have stocks to pump... Rivian doesn't
Maybe not now, but if they are looking at IPO value they need to keep people happy.

Too much negativity will reverse the hype and negatively affect the perceived value.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Maybe not now, but if they are looking at IPO value they need to keep people happy.

Too much negativity will reverse the hype and negatively affect the perceived value.
As long as they have a meaningful release prior to the IPO, then it doesn’t matter. By meaningful release I mean hundreds+ units in customer hands with a clear ramp-up for increasing production.

Once they accomplish that, any negativity for slow-rolling the dissemination of information or delaying the launch will be quickly overlooked. How customers who received their delivery “feel” will have a far greater bearing. If people love their R1, then that’s going to create quite the frenzy for the IPO.

Caymanwent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
I feel like they are just focused on rolling out a near perfect product. They are already having trouble filling the demand they have so what is the point of more marketing at this point? I too would like to know everything about the R1S/T. But releasing the info doesn’t just satisfy me, it drives up demand. So from their point of view, how bad would it look if they had to close all orders? That would raise questions that they would rather not answer.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I feel like they are just focused on rolling out a near perfect product. They are already having trouble filling the demand they have so what is the point of more marketing at this point? I too would like to know everything about the R1S/T. But releasing the info doesn’t just satisfy me, it drives up demand. So from their point of view, how bad would it look if they had to close all orders? That would raise questions that they would rather not answer.
They are under no obligation to fulfill any order, so they have no need to close them. Even if they only intended to produce a limited number of vehicles (unlikely) they could still take unlimited reservations.

Caymanwent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
They are under no obligation to fulfill any order, so they have no need to close them. Even if they only intended to produce a limited number of vehicles (unlikely) they could still take unlimited reservations.
True. Still a bad look to take an order and not fill it.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Keep in mind that Lucid and Tesla have stocks to pump... Rivian doesn't
Elon would never sacrifice quality to hit an end of quarter production goal to help the stock. Never. ?

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Going back to finally getting interior details:

I think quite a few members here are cross shopping Rivians (probably more the R1S crowd) with luxury ICE or hybrid vehicles. The comments they were benchmarking the best in terms of luxury resonated/created expectations.

While I am sure many will be ready to compromise to go electric and because of the early adoption coolness, the 4 motor performance and the off-road capability… Seat comfort and other traditional luxury things will still matter…there are only so many compromises some here will be willing to make for that price.

For the seats, we only know they are ventilated, heated and have lumbar adjustments…So pretty much nothing. Considering the design with a separate shell and an independent shoulder support section, I hope we will see Gideon adjusting them 24 or 30 ways… a la BMW comfort seat/Lincoln perfect position. Being a foot taller than Gideon, I sure hope that top portion and the headrest will be adjustable.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
For the seats, we only know they are ventilated, heated and have lumbar adjustments…So pretty much nothing. Considering the design with a separate shell and an independent shoulder support section, I hope we will see Gideon adjusting them 24 or 30 ways… a la BMW comfort seat/Lincoln perfect position. Being a foot taller than Gideon, I sure hope that top portion and the headrest will be adjustable.
I have low expectations for the seats to be honest. I hope they surprise me. At a minimum, I would love thigh extensions.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
I have low expectations for the seats to be honest. I hope they surprise me. At a minimum, I would love thigh extensions.
As I recall, probably the most frequent complaint about my 2017 BoltEV were the uncomfortable, manual adjustment seats. They are fine for me, but my wife still much prefers our RAV4 seats. Of course, at that time, people were actually able to test drive in some cases, and reported their experience. Some people planned replacement seats upon purchase. For those here, test drives will start soon, and with the delivery estimates being given by Guides, many will get the opportunity to test drive, as long as you are willing to make a road trip. My guess is Rivian seats are going to be way better...a much higher end, and higher priced vehicle.

What I would like to see is a rear view mirror that can we switched from regular mirror to camera rear view system like in my Bolt. The camera system gives a much better view in the day, not so great in rain or at night. If there is a lot of stuff in the back seat, or something being hauled in the bed obstructs your view, the camera system works wonders. Have mentioned this to CS, no response so far.

The other interior tweak (I don't expect from Rivian) is the 3M Crystalline inside window tint to reduce the infrared heat intrusion, as AC usage decreases range, and heat is the main enemy in the Southeast. The regular car glass blocks the UV, but not the infrared. It imparts very little tint, can be applied to all windows including the windshield, and has worked well in both my BoltEV, and the Volt my son drives. Much easier to keep the cabin cool. Have never experienced ventilated seats, so will have to see how well that works. Catch for me is closest 3M dealer is about 100 miles.

ElectricDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Grand Cherokee
As I recall, probably the most frequent complaint about my 2017 BoltEV were the uncomfortable, manual adjustment seats. They are fine for me, but my wife still much prefers our RAV4 seats. Of course, at that time, people were actually able to test drive in some cases, and reported their experience. Some people planned replacement seats upon purchase. For those here, test drives will start soon, and with the delivery estimates being given by Guides, many will get the opportunity to test drive, as long as you are willing to make a road trip. My guess is Rivian seats are going to be way better...a much higher end, and higher priced vehicle.

What I would like to see is a rear view mirror that can we switched from regular mirror to camera rear view system like in my Bolt. The camera system gives a much better view in the day, not so great in rain or at night. If there is a lot of stuff in the back seat, or something being hauled in the bed obstructs your view, the camera system works wonders. Have mentioned this to CS, no response so far.

The other interior tweak (I don't expect from Rivian) is the 3M Crystalline inside window tint to reduce the infrared heat intrusion, as AC usage decreases range, and heat is the main enemy in the Southeast. The regular car glass blocks the UV, but not the infrared. It imparts very little tint, can be applied to all windows including the windshield, and has worked well in both my BoltEV, and the Volt my son drives. Much easier to keep the cabin cool. Have never experienced ventilated seats, so will have to see how well that works. Catch for me is closest 3M dealer is about 100 miles.
How much did this cost?

Sponsored

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
The more Rivian slow roles their information release the more deflated I get. The fact that we're just getting a look at the interior in the 3rd week of the month that deliveries were expected just frustrates the hell out of me.

I already know what the UI and interior of the F150 lightning will be, and they're still a 9-12 months out.

And the whole excuse that rivian just doesn't want to release something that isn't representative of what you'll get is just nonsense. They still have plenty of old photos on their website that we know are of an older design and not representative of our purchase.

Rant complete.
Yes. It’s getting old.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Yes. It’s getting old.
Rivian has made it clear that they couldn't care less about their pre-order holders. They've decided that they have enough interest in the vehicle, and that demand will outpace supply for quite a while.

It's a weird strategy, but it seems very intentional at this point. It's my honest belief that they are explicitly trying to get people to cancel their orders because they are so far behind in production, and won't be able to ramp us as they planned. That's certainly the message (or implicit non-message) they seem to be putting out.

Last edited:

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
Rivian has made it clear that they couldn't care less about their pre-order holders. They've decided that they have enough interest in the vehicle, and that demand will outpace supply for quite a while.

It's a weird strategy, but it seems very intentional at this point. It's my honest belief that they are explicitly trying to get people to cancel their orders because they are so far behind in production, and won't be able to ramp us as they planned. That's certainly the message (or implicit non-message) they seem to be putting out.
Since they are brand new to manufacturing I strongly feel that they are way behind actually going into production. I think we might see delay after delay after delay.

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

My opinion (for what it's worth) is that Rivian will deliver a well engineered quality vehicle when it is able to. I am expecting delays in the delivery of my pre-order and like so many other folks I am frustrated with the lack of information and the waiting.

However, I do expect the other manufacturers to have similar delays and from what I have read they are generally information limited as well.

Timing is everything and the current state of things (shortages, battery manufacturing capability, ect..) makes the timing for mass production of EV's unfavorable (leading to delays), but not impossible.

So IMHO it is wait and see, which at least for me is hard to do.
Sponsored