Rivian X Europe

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes ML
Hi to all of you from Europe!

As we will have to wait a little longer before even knowing when Rivians may even go on pre-order here, I have a question for you North-American friends:

How does the R1T compare in rear seat dimensions and real life feel (seat-time)to a Tesla Model Y? Which I tested today for the first time and was quite surprised by the space in the back for my talk kid’s legs.

I believe rear seat confort is highly dependent of sufficient seat height, proper thigh support and back inclination/angle. Pickups tend to have a bit of an upright bench.

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
How does the R1T compare in rear seat dimensions and real life feel (seat-time)to a Tesla Model Y? Which I tested today for the first time and was quite surprised by the space in the back for my talk kid’s legs.
The R1T better be WAY bigger than the Model Y interior, imo.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
The R1T better be WAY bigger than the Model Y interior, imo.
Three grown adults in the back of an R1T... I'll leave the comfort level open to personal opinions.

Rivian R1T R1S Interior confort - rear seats - comparison Tesla RDT_20211014_1258359172711525547643595

OP
OP

Rivian X Europe

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes ML
Well, that’s the thing, I saw some unofficial dimension quotes of second row leg room and compared it to the model Y and they are tinier for the R1T apparently..?

Then again, numbers do not always reflect the effective comfort. I hope someone with seat experience can shed some light?

rubber_ducky

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Ridgeline
This is something that I’m very interested in as well. With three little ones that’ll be occupying the back seat, I’d prefer to not give up any space as compared to my ridgeline

Sponsored

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (10/2022), Honda Ridgeline
This is something that I’m very interested in as well. With three little ones that’ll be occupying the back seat, I’d prefer to not give up any space as compared to my ridgeline
When I sat in the R1T it was very comparable to my Ridgeline. If you are happy with the space in the Ridgeline I think you'll be just as happy with the R1T.

OP
OP

Rivian X Europe

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes ML
Hmmm…. Honda Ridgeline is not available in Europe… can’t compare.
Hence the request to compare to some Tesla’s, mainly because they are one of the very few with a flat floor in the back just like the Rivians.

bac4uw

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Dodge Durange R/T, Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Biostatistician
I'm in the same boat with my '06 Ridgeline, but my three little ones aren't as little any more! None are driving yet, so we still pile into the same vehicle when going places... but not so much in the Ridgeline any more. It works, but space is becoming an issue.

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
KBB review covers this pretty well. They said it has good head and legroom but complains about lack of lumber support in the back seats.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
When I sat in the R1T it was very comparable to my Ridgeline. If you are happy with the space in the Ridgeline I think you'll be just as happy with the R1T.
Hi Brian, I stopped last week and looked at a 2022 Ridgeline White/Black Edition. Super Nice. It's actually what my wife says, just go buy the Ridgeline and save $36K off the R1T (per our build). I have a Max Pack reservation. Since you own a Ridgeline now, what are your reason's/motivations/excitement/etc. that are moving you to a Rivian?

I have owned Honda's & Acura's for 35+ years and have had nothing but great luck with the product and Honda America. I can't say the same for many of their dealers. For me, I'm thinking the R1T will be a Ridgeline on steroids. Fantastic suspension, powerful yet far more efficent, capable, hopefully, less maintenance cost over time? A sports truck that can still pull my small camper. The unknown is, it's a start-up company with tremendous challenges ahead.

wizard467

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (10/2022), Honda Ridgeline
Hi Brian, I stopped last week and looked at a 2022 Ridgeline White/Black Edition. Super Nice. It's actually what my wife says, just go buy the Ridgeline and save $36K off the R1T (per our build). I have a Max Pack reservation. Since you own a Ridgeline now, what are your reason's/motivations/excitement/etc. that are moving you to a Rivian?

I have owned Honda's & Acura's for 35+ years and have had nothing but great luck with the product and Honda America. I can't say the same for many of their dealers. For me, I'm thinking the R1T will be a Ridgeline on steroids. Fantastic suspension, powerful yet far more efficent, capable, hopefully, less maintenance cost over time? A sports truck that can still pull my small camper. The unknown is, it's a start-up company with tremendous challenges ahead.
Definitely love the Ridgeline which I’ve had for 4 years. I’ve always looked at EVs as mildly interesting, but a car is totally useless to me. Love the truck too much. Honestly I wasn’t even thinking about getting a new vehicle but then I saw the Motor Trend article and it pretty much checks every box. Sports car, off-road capable, super-plush highway ride (Ridgeline checks this box also), work truck (enough for a weekend DIYer), storage area without tonneau cover (Ridgeline has this too), just-right size (full-size trucks fit in the garage with literally a half inch on each end so that doesn’t work), fast (list that twice!), and it’s an EV so interesting tech.

I definitely don’t need it to replace the Ridgeline, but it could be the last truck I’d ever need since it really should do everything well.

I live close enough to Normal, IL so was able to go to a Preview event there a few weeks ago. Didn’t get to drive, but did get to look at, sit in, and push a bunch of buttons while sitting in the 3 trucks they had displayed. They had power, just couldn’t drive them so could test out everything.

I wanted to make sure size was good, the AC vent placement controls/airflow worked since it’s different than most vehicles (they were good), backseat size (headroom and legroom both similar to Ridgeline), and just get an overall feel for the truck.

I drove home and within 10 minutes of being home I had put money down on the truck!

Not entirely sure how to pay for it so a few months while the LE and earlier reservations are delivered will be good to figure that out!

edit: and it is a mid-size truck like the Ridgeline that has a bed that actually lets you put a 4x8 sheet of plywood/drywall in it without having to do weird stacking over the wheel wells!
Sponsored

Last edited: