Insurance Cost / Quotes / Premiums Thread

flabyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6
Occupation
Health Care
Sure. That's why I also compared to a new hybrid F-150 and the Raptor. Those two are considerably less than the Rivian though.
I would be curious to see the insurance comparison compared to a high end 2021 Range Rover
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I didn't see it on the site but i remember hearing they are going to use Nationwide and Cincinnati.

I currently use Cincinnati for all my insurance (home and 2 vehicles) so hoping they stick with it. Nothing but good experiences with them.

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
I had a question answered back in April, and now I got an unexpected message from Rivian insurance. Anybody else?
Rivian R1T R1S Insurance Cost / Quotes / Premiums Thread Screenshot_20210819-160246_Email

CarterGee

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner Limited '16
Cross posting from r/Rivian:

My USAA quote for launch edition is almost double my 2016 4Runner, from $104 to $195. Not particularly surprised. Curious to see what Rivian can offer.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I just checked with the same coverage as I have on my 2020 Model 3 with Geico and my policy will actually go down $30/6 months with the R1T replacing the Tesla.

Last edited:

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Not in the State Farm system yet.

Matty J

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, BMW X7
Geico has the R1T in their system... $142 increase for 6 month premium, replacing a 2015 Sonata. The R1T is about the same as my 2020 X7 when I had it. I'll reach out to Rivian as we get closer to LE R1S deliveries to see about their multi-policy pricing. Exciting to see it all coming together as it should!

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Nationwide quote for LE R1T = $78/mo. Basically the same as my eTron.
I'm curious about the coverage and deductible. That quote is less thaty 2013 GMC 3500!

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

Maybe a dumb question, but wouldn't insurance companies need to know actual MSRP of the vehicles in order to generate a quote? Or are all of these insurance companies just basing it on an assumption of price? It is possible that Rivian has confirmed the price with the carriers but will make it public S00N.

S00N really needs to be < 10 - 15 days if they want to meet the September delivery.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Insurance companies generally assign a symbol that represents the MSRP of the vehicle. If they don't have Rivian in their system, they'll ask for the retail price and use it to generate a symbol. That symbol is then used to represent the replacement cost of the vehicle. The trouble you may run into is that most companies won't know about the Rivian's performance and construction before they upload them as a manufacturer in their database. Once they find out about the 0 to 60 time, other capabilities, and the skateboard/battery architecture, they may up your quote/rates after the VIN is actually entered and found in their system. The performance will likely increase the Liability and Medical/PIP portions of your premium and the physical details may increase the Comprehensive and Collision portions of your premium.

In another thread on this subject, I posted my actual rates from Rivian, quoted through Nationwide. The price of the R1T bundled with three of my other cars, my home, and my umbrella was very reasonable. To include those other cars and the Rivian without adding my Home and Umbrella, the price went up 12.1% for the Rivian. For a stand-alone policy on the Rivian only, the premium went up 25.1% from the R1T premium within the full-package bundled rate.

I'm an independent insurance agent and questioned the company my vehicles are covered by and found Nationwide's rates to be competitive for the Rivian. My insurer didn't have Rivian in their database yet, so I have them the full retail price to get a quote. To get an apples-to-apples rate, find out what your company will charge if you want the benefit of being able to use OEM replacement parts and glass from Rivian. Make sure to find out if they will cover OEM parts and glass for the lifetime of your vehicle, as Nationwide says they will. Also, Nationwide includes OEM parts and glass at no extra charge.

Another important consideration is their Road-Side assistance. My carrier, and many others, don't want to provide Towing and Road-Side assistance if you're traveling off of regular roadways, including gravel roadways, like those of the USFS and BLM, to name a few. Their rates don't anticipate off-roading and/or overlanding. Best to know, before you go.

Actually, "Best to check, before you wreck!"

If you're considering Nationwide for the Rivian only, and leaving your other vehicles and an Umbrella under another carrier, that carrier likely will not include the Rivian under your Umbrella policy. Most carriers insist that all automobiles be covered by them in order to be covered under the Umbrella policy.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Geico for 6 months with $500 deductible :

Cybertruck: $536
Rivian: $401
Lightning: $389

I did mention CT2 but I am not sure it was considered in the estimate I received.
Sponsored