Sponsored

I'm in a conundrum

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Audi Q7 , 2023 Red Canyon Rivian R1T
So, my configuration is Red Canyon w/the 20" AT tires and black interior. I ORIGINALLY had Limestone on order but when I finally saw it in person it was much lighter than I had anticipated and upon seeing the Red Canyon in person I liked it more so I swapped. My est. delivery date is Feb/March.

NOW; I have access to the R1T Shop which just populated quite a few more trucks and this brings me to my question......

Do I wait for my Red Canyon configuration which has NO powered tonneau cover or do I buy the Limestone which has 20" AT tires, black interior AND a powered tonneau cover?!??! Basically everything I want but preferred color.

I'm having a difficult time deciding if the powered cover trumps my preferred color. (Which I would simply wait and buy an after-market manual tonneau cover as I am not liking what I'm hearing for the Rivian manual cover; essentially individual slats....)
Sponsored

evguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1S LE; '18 Model 3 LR
Occupation
Law
My two cents: Wait for what you want, you're so close. I bet you get your 8 steps before Feb.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Only you can say how important that color is to you. That covered tonneau is very likely to break/ get stuck sooner or later. Broke in the first month for us. That said, having it guarantees a fix from Rivian, whatever/whenever that will be.

Personally, I haven’t seen a Rivian color in the wild yet that I didn’t think looked great.

Good luck with the decision.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Me? I’d wait for a 2023 model.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The psychology of the shop is to get people to grab something because they are tired of waiting. It’s understandable, but sometimes the shop trucks take 8 weeks to be delivered too. If I were in your shoes I would wait for what I originally wanted.

If you are truly open to a different configuration and don’t want to wait, then pull the trigger on a shop truck.

M00v0vr

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T MY
Occupation
entrepreneur/ski race coach
I just Dropped off My R1T for some service work, the loaner has tonneau panels in various states of stuck. Was told no more powered T and probably the long term fix is to replace all powered with the manual when they break. Take it for what its worth.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Funny, that’s exactly the fix I thought Rivian would come up with. A powered tonneau cover for a 4.5’ bed is overkill.

OP
OP
cjones1130

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Only you can say how important that color is to you. That covered tonneau is very likely to break/ get stuck sooner or later. Broke in the first month for us. That said, having it guarantees a fix from Rivian, whatever/whenever that will be.

Personally, I haven’t seen a Rivian color in the wild yet that I didn’t think looked great.

Good luck with the decision.
This is my thought; I think the powered tonneau cover will eventually be a unicorn but don't know it it'll be worth the headache if/when it malfunctions even if covered under warranty. I'm sure aftermarket options will pop up which provide good manual options. Hopefully something like this

https://www.peragon.com/

Sponsored

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
Like the majority, my powered tonneau is still working just fine. There is a very large minority though, for whom this isn't true. But as Marchin_MTB said, when the fix is available you will get the fix. That is likely to be a year or more, but an aftermarket cover is also likely a long way off.

Personally, I had access to the shop for about three months but I really wanted the configuration I had selected. So I waited.

OP
OP
cjones1130

cjones1130

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The psychology of the shop is to get people to grab something because they are tired of waiting. It’s understandable, but sometimes the shop trucks take 8 weeks to be delivered too. If I were in your shoes I would wait for what I originally wanted.

If you are truly open to a different configuration and don’t want to wait, then pull the trigger on a shop truck.
I have no problem waiting (been waiting this long); but being able to get the powered tonneau cover when I know this option is dead for me is what tempts me.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
Will they deliver the truck with the power tonneau working? I thought they were purposely locking it in the open position if the truck still was equipped with this option.

The red is a pretty awesome color in person.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I have no problem waiting (been waiting this long); but being able to get the powered tonneau cover when I know this option is dead for me is what tempts me.
That’s understandable. I’ve always wanted the manual cover, but I do appreciate the concept and convenience of the powered tonneau. It will be under warranty for 5 years if you get it!
Sponsored