Sponsored

ICBC Insurance for Rivian (specific to BC)

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Has anyone had any insight into insurance costs yet? I'm sure once we start getting them and posting them, the rest of North America will laugh. I tried asking an insurance agent earlier this year but he didn't know and guessed it would be similar to a Tesla.
Sponsored

dc2r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Acura MDX
Occupation
Facilities Technician
Has anyone had any insight into insurance costs yet? I'm sure once we start getting them and posting them, the rest of North America will laugh. I tried asking an insurance agent earlier this year but he didn't know and guessed it would be similar to a Tesla.
I casually asked an agent while renewing my current vehicle's insurance 2 months back, and she did a quick search. She said both R1S and R1T were both listed in the ICBC database. (On a side note, Vinfast was not?). Unfortuately I didn't think to ask for numbers.

Last edited:

BlixemT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and a couple of Germans
An old thread.. I dropped into my ICBC agent last week. They have 2022 R1T's in the system,. Not the 2023's, but they said it will be the same rate since it was not on some special list...

With my full discount it is +- $1,800 /yr. Which is exactly what I am paying for my Audit s4. I was pleasantly surprised.

Edit: at pickup, the actual insurance was closer to $200/month. Apparently the initial quote I received was for personal use and not business. And the coverage was not as good, and they used different deductibles. :-(

Last edited:
OP
OP

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
An old thread.. I dropped into my ICBC agent last week. They have 2022 R1T's in the system,. Not the 2023's, but they said it will be the same rate since it was not on some special list...

With my full discount it is +- $1,800 /yr. Which is exactly what I am paying for my Audit s4. I was pleasantly surprised.
Hmm, interesting. That is better than I expected. Doesn’t sound much different than my Subaru at full discount.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Where in Canada are you? I was trying to get a quote for the Sunshine Coast, but the broker over there didn't have it in their system.

I have full discount etc. Wondering also if anyone has any info on the NVR (New Vehicle Replacement) coverage and the premium they may have been quoted.

BlixemT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and a couple of Germans
Where in Canada are you? I was trying to get a quote for the Sunshine Coast, but the broker over there didn't have it in their system.

I have full discount etc. Wondering also if anyone has any info on the NVR (New Vehicle Replacement) coverage and the premium they may have been quoted.
I am in North Vancouver. I went to Allwest Insurance (1058 Marine drive, North Van). They did a lookup and found 2022 Rivian R1T.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I am in North Vancouver. I went to Allwest Insurance (1058 Marine drive, North Van). They did a lookup and found 2022 Rivian R1T.
Honestly, way better than I expected especially for Vancouver proper.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Agreed. I hope I get my paperwork done before they change the rates!
Reached out to ICBC again asking for a requote of 2022, so stay tuned!

Sponsored

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 GMC Sierra 2500, 2012 Chevy Volt.
Occupation
Teacher
Clubs

Asked TD Insurance this past November. They told me about 150$/month for R1T. They couldn't quote an R1S. I asked them to send me the quote on paper, that hasn't happened yet.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Best I could get from icbc ended up being a quote for the Ford Lightning Platinum trim. The location I was at couldn't find rivian in their system. Anyway, was about 1580/yr for 300 deductible, 5 million liability etc.

But... There was this random "Licensing Fees" portion which was an additional $3098. I'm assuming that's new vehicle replacement gap insurance. Seems quite high though if that's only for 1 year.

In 2010 gap insurance through a third party was 4000 total for 5 years of full replacement coverage.

OP
OP

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Best I could get from icbc ended up being a quote for the Ford Lightning Platinum trim. The location I was at couldn't find rivian in their system. Anyway, was about 1580/yr for 300 deductible, 5 million liability etc.

But... There was this random "Licensing Fees" portion which was an additional $3098. I'm assuming that's new vehicle replacement gap insurance. Seems quite high though if that's only for 1 year.

In 2010 gap insurance through a third party was 4000 total for 5 years of full replacement coverage.
I dropped in to an insurance agent a couple of days ago and was quoted about 2100/yr including roadside+ (max discount for me, not sure the discount for my wife). They had 2022 models in the system, but not 2023 oddly enough. And then quoted the replacement cost insurance and OEM parts for repair (private), and that was from $700-800 for a year to around $6k for seven years.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I dropped in to an insurance agent a couple of days ago and was quoted about 2100/yr including roadside+ (max discount for me, not sure the discount for my wife). They had 2022 models in the system, but not 2023 oddly enough. And then quoted the replacement cost insurance and OEM parts for repair (private), and that was from $700-800 for a year to around $6k for seven years.
Who was the replacement insurance through? Icbc as well?

My quote was lower because our primary residence is on the sunshine coast, so lower premiums vs downtown

OP
OP

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Who was the replacement insurance through? Icbc as well?

My quote was lower because our primary residence is on the sunshine coast, so lower premiums vs downtown
It was through Optiom. Have used them once before and our car was hit while parked and written off, two years into the three year policy. Certainly makes me think hard about this one (for what length of term).
Sponsored