D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '22 M3LR, '09 Honda Odyssey
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

There is no way I’d have a Rivian where service is not available. My beloved R1T has needed a new DCFC Level 3 charging module, both 12V batteries replaced, and a new high voltage battery pack within 6 months of ownership and less than 2000 miles. My truck also has a diagnosed frunk sensor preventing sleep issue that I think the latest OTA fixed.
Yes - All the horror stories definitely worried me, and who knows what's in store. I am at about 1200 miles now, ~1100 driven in Germany. I have heard of a tech flying to Hawaii to service the R's there but not sure how many there are, and pretty sure they wouldn't do it just for ONE in Europe. Though I do know a couple that are in other Eurasian countries (Netherlands, Kuwait).
Sponsored

JW-R1S

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Range Rover, Bentley GTC, Jaguar XK150
Occupation
Selfemployer
Clubs

License plate in Wiesbaden - great, then we are neighbors and should see each other, our R1S will arrive in Bremen next week, unfortunately we have to go to the TÜV for a German license plate......

OP
OP
rivian_germany

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

License plate in Wiesbaden - great, then we are neighbors and should see each other, our R1S will arrive in Bremen next week, unfortunately we have to go to the TÜV for a German license plate......
Wow I am super excited to hear more about this!!!!

JW-R1S

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Selfemployer
Clubs

Wow I am super excited to hear more about this!!!!
Our R1S Launch Edition has now arrived in Germany at the port of Hamburg and is now waiting in Bremen to be processed by customs. We are really looking forward to taking the train to Bremen and picking up the car. It is planned to drive the R1S in Germany first with a USA license plate and additional German insurance. I don't know how navigation works in Europe and how many of the features actually work in Europe. I'm not sure how to charge the car, I've already bought various adapters and hope it works and I don't get stranded on the freeway when I pick it up.
We also have to organize the recall campaign for the rear lights of the R1S in Europe, as there are still no repair stations in Europe. This will be a very exciting adventure!!
Rivian R1T R1S I shipped my R1T to Germany 1693995806732

Sponsored

OP
OP
rivian_germany

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Our R1S Launch Edition has now arrived in Germany at the port of Hamburg and is now waiting in Bremen to be processed by customs. We are really looking forward to taking the train to Bremen and picking up the car. It is planned to drive the R1S in Germany first with a USA license plate and additional German insurance. I don't know how navigation works in Europe and how many of the features actually work in Europe. I'm not sure how to charge the car, I've already bought various adapters and hope it works and I don't get stranded on the freeway when I pick it up.
We also have to organize the recall campaign for the rear lights of the R1S in Europe, as there are still no repair stations in Europe. This will be a very exciting adventure!!
1693995806732.jpeg
Post here or send me a message with the adapters you got. I can charge mine with AC and DC here. I use the CCS2 to CCS1 adapter by duosida for DC, but it works best if you are already at 50% or above, due to limited power throughput. I just use a CEE32 blue plug at home, but you can probably just use an adapter to charge with Shucko. Message me and we can connect via Whatsapp

Neuneleven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Expedition Max LTD, 2020 Volvo XC60
1693995806732.jpeg
Wundershoen! Viel Spass!

OP
OP
rivian_germany

rivian_germany

First Name
D-Rok
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Ok, I have just tested and verified that I can charge my Rivian with the original NEMA 5-15 (110v) equipment and a grounded US to EU adapter. Ungrounded does not work. I would suggest finding one that supports 15A/250V. The ones on Amazon only say 10A/250V so they might melt. Here is a link to one:

https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_brennenstuhl-usa-japan-schutzkontakt-1092784.html

Edit: it is also available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.de/Brennenstuhl-...er-Reise-Steckdosenadapter-für/dp/B0C99FNNQ2/

Basmirk

First Name
Lief
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY, smart #1, BMW i3s
Wundershoen! Viel Spass!
1693995806732.jpeg
We just did a test ride in Chicago and seriously considering to take one to Germany. I believe this charging thing can be worked out easily, but I wonder who it could be made road legal, i.e. getting rear indicator lights in amber rather red? How did you guys made that? Or does Zulassungsstelle allow for exeptions? Thanks!!

Sponsored

JW-R1S

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Selfemployer
Clubs

Hello, we are currently in the process of getting a data sheet, with this data sheet every Rivian in Germany can be taken to the TÜV, so German approval is possible. The rear red indicators probably have to be converted to yellow ones, but the LEDs can be replaced. I have good hopes of accomplishing this in the next 3 months, but I'll keep you posted about it.

Basmirk

First Name
Lief
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY, smart #1, BMW i3s
Hello, we are currently in the process of getting a data sheet, with this data sheet every Rivian in Germany can be taken to the TÜV, so German approval is possible. The rear red indicators probably have to be converted to yellow ones, but the LEDs can be replaced. I have good hopes of accomplishing this in the next 3 months, but I'll keep you posted about it.
Der Rivian Verkäufer meinte übrigens, dass die LED Rücklichter auch gelb blinken könnten, das sei eine Softwareeinstellung. Bei Tesla ist das übrigens ähnlich, da wird nur das Land der Zulassung hinterlegt und Blinkerfarbe passt sich an. Aber vielleicht ist wirklich es einfacher die LED’s umzulöten. Ich bin ganz Ohr!!!

JW-R1S

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Selfemployer
Clubs

Der Farbwechsel mit der Softwareeinstellung wäre natürlich perfekt, kannst du rauskriegen wie das mit der Softwareeinstellung funktioniert? Gut wäre auch eine Idee für den Tausch der verbauten Telefonkarte, im Moment ist eine AT&T Karte verbaut die mir in Europa nicht wirklich hilft, 10 km um das heimatliche Netzwerk habe ich Kartenmaterial, darüber hinaus leider nichts mehr.

Srubena

First Name
Nikolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Executive
Hallo, überlege meine R1S aus den USA (Umzug nach D im Sommer 2024) mit nach Düsseldorf zu bringen. Der Service center in Neuss hat sich nicht bereit erklärt Service durchzuführen. Wie seht Ihr das? Gibt`s eine Versicherung die den R1S akzeptiert? danke

Srubena

First Name
Nikolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Executive
Oh and for the record - it is registered through the US. I have read that it cannot be legally registered in the German system... yet
Hi, can you elaborate? registered through the US, but with a German plate? Thanks
Sponsored