superfluid

superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Kia Telluride
Occupation
Tech
Great work! Thanks for doing this for the R1T as well.

Is there any benefit in doing these measurements while the vehicle is driving at, say 60mph? Would the added road and wind noise provide a truer experience for what our ears experience while driving?
I've been thinking about this quite a bit. I'm not sure how REW would interpret a measurement with so much noise. I'll have to research how this sort of measurement is typically done. It might involve measuring driving noise separately and then doing some additive analysis. More to come.

iforbes

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
APRN
Clubs

I had posted in the other thread (sister one) about having to crank up the volume to be able to hear most songs and for my kids in the back to hear while we drive. And by crank I mean level 16-20 on the volume. Which to me is too high of a number for the output it’s producing.

However, after testing songs and volumes etc, I discovered that the little silver speakers near the head of the driver and passenger and the rear silver ones DO NOT produce any sound at all.

I haven’t tested each speaker but from the little I did, I discovered that those 4 do not have any sound coming out of them. So now, a ticket will be placed etc etc..

Anyway, I hope this helps with the constant turning up the volume to a high number. Maybe others are experiencing this? If so, check all your speakers.

Ps. Thank you for this long ass write up and testing. Appreciate you!
Try resetting your infotainment (hold down outside most button on the steering wheel simultaneously until screens clear). It seems that sometimes after updates, all the speakers don’t work. Try “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd as a before and after. Interested to know if there is a difference.

OP
OP
superfluid

superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
Wondering if you tried Amazon Music HD | Why Amazon Music HD? in addition to Tidal.
1711310597141-fd.png

Since I have Amazon Music Unlimited (lots of ad-free podcasts), I have not subscribed to Tidal. A comparison would be interesting.
I haven't tried it, but if the app streams HD, it should sound good.

Ultra HD is sort of pointless since the additional resolution would be virtually impossible to hear in a noisy truck cabin that lacks a sufficiently high-quality system.

Sponsored

OP
OP
superfluid

superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
I enjoy 3D sound, but found it too bright with these settings. I had to knock 1K and 2K down a little bit from superfluid’s settings.
Yeah. My recommendations wouldn't work well with 3D sound, particularly the Enhanced setting. Enhanced seems to copy a lot of source signal in the 1-6 kHz range and essentially duplicate it in the overhead speakers, making it way too loud. My settings with Enhanced mode on sound bad.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

I spent some time with the settings, but for my R1T, the suggestions are far to "tinny" with too many highs and not enough base, but it was a good start. Because of the OP I started from fresh and got the sound, that I like.

Sound in vehicles is like pizza, everyone has a favorite. All I want to do is put my favorite amp on the OEM 6x9 sub....

OP
OP
superfluid

superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
I spent some time with the settings, but for my R1T, the suggestions are far to "tinny" with too many highs and not enough base, but it was a good start. Because of the OP I started from fresh and got the sound, that I like.

Sound in vehicles is like pizza, everyone has a favorite. All I want to do is put my favorite amp on the OEM 6x9 sub....
Cool. Screenshot your settings? Other folks who thought my settings were thin might prefer yours.

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

Cool. Screenshot your settings? Other folks who thought my settings were thin might prefer yours.
I do the changes then "drive", as I listen to my music when I drive......

Rivian R1T R1S How to Improve a Rivian R1T's Meridian Sound System w/ Simple EQ Changes (Equipment Measured Tests & Results) + Comparison to Elevation System 20240325_200850

Has anyone done an amp on the OEM 6x9 sub only?

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
@superfluid - wondering if you have a trusted Austin car stereo installer? I'm considering just biting the bullet and going for a new system, but as more a vinophile than audiophile, I wouldn't have the first clue who to trust locally with an assessment and install in my precious.

Sponsored

OP
OP
superfluid

superfluid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Tech
@superfluid - wondering if you have a trusted Austin car stereo installer? I'm considering just biting the bullet and going for a new system, but as more a vinophile than audiophile, I wouldn't have the first clue who to trust locally with an assessment and install in my precious.
Unfortunately, no. I haven't done any car audio mods yet, only home theater. Each time I think about modding the car, I decide to put that money into the home system because I have a lot more control over the outcome. And honestly, the home system is so much better than what a car system can achieve that I sort of feel like investing it in the car as a lower ROI for me. That said, I will probably replace the Rivian subwoofer at some point, a mod that other folks have successfully done, and leave it at that. See below reason why.

There's a thread—maybe on FB, I'd have to find it—in which someone tried replacing their whole audio system, and their Rivian errored out and wouldn't drive. The professional installers had to rip all of it back out so he could use the vehicle. I suspect the Infotainment system is sensitive to changes to the electrical system (ohm load, etc) for safety reasons, didn't like what it saw from the new speakers, and locked down. This doesn't seem to happen when replacing the subwoofer for whatever reason. My guess is that the current draw from the subwoofer is relatively high and can fluctuate by a lot so the Rivian engineers decided not to monitor it. I don't have a background in electrical engineering, so I wouldn't feel confident trying to get around this issue and potentially cause others. Personally, I'd prefer not to be the first Rivian any given Austin shop did this kind of overhaul on.

Whale Blubber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 BMW X3 3.0si, 2021 Toyota RAV4 XLE
Ah, makes sense, makes sense. The joys and challenges of fully electrified rides. I can only imagine how immersive watching a high-fidelity movie in your home system would be!

Unfortunately, no. I haven't done any car audio mods yet, only home theater. Each time I think about modding the car, I decide to put that money into the home system because I have a lot more control over the outcome. And honestly, the home system is so much better than what a car system can achieve that I sort of feel like investing it in the car as a lower ROI for me. That said, I will probably replace the Rivian subwoofer at some point, a mod that other folks have successfully done, and leave it at that. See below reason why.

There's a thread—maybe on FB, I'd have to find it—in which someone tried replacing their whole audio system, and their Rivian errored out and wouldn't drive. The professional installers had to rip all of it back out so he could use the vehicle. I suspect the Infotainment system is sensitive to changes to the electrical system (ohm load, etc) for safety reasons, didn't like what it saw from the new speakers, and locked down. This doesn't seem to happen when replacing the subwoofer for whatever reason. My guess is that the current draw from the subwoofer is relatively high and can fluctuate by a lot so the Rivian engineers decided not to monitor it. I don't have a background in electrical engineering, so I wouldn't feel confident trying to get around this issue and potentially cause others. Personally, I'd prefer not to be the first Rivian any given Austin shop did this kind of overhaul on.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
Sitting at a EA right now and trying these settings with my Rivian Elevation streaming Spotify Premium. Sounds great with Springsteen’s Streets of Philadelphia. 👍🏼

aznkukuboi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm not an audiophile like some people, but I do enjoy a good bass. However, every panel starts rattling beyond belief.

My settings is upside down V to avoid rattles.

GrnFrg13

First Name
Shami
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ris
Try resetting your infotainment (hold down outside most button on the steering wheel simultaneously until screens clear). It seems that sometimes after updates, all the speakers don’t work. Try “Wish You Were Here” by Pink Floyd as a before and after. Interested to know if there is a difference.
Thank you so much for the detailed post. A few months ago, I noticed having to crank the volume up (again 15-18) when I used to listen to it at a 4-5 (my hearing is unchanged!) and the vocals would drop on the left any time they were supposed to alternate between right and left speakers. Interestingly we noticed if you play "I saw her standing there" by the Beatles the vocals are totally gone. I submitted a ticket and had a mobile service person come out, but they noted there is no issue. Will try your suggestions in our R1S.
Sponsored