Sponsored

Has Rivian upgraded the MagSafe charger?

mzdds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Tesla Model S, 2023 R1S
Occupation
Dentist
Another vote for the StowNCharge - it's worth the wait. I've tried another product, but switched due to the OEM look and convenient storage compartment.
As beta tester of the unit, I have had zero issues with it. Great product.
Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
+1 stow and charge, also a beta unit, been working great for 6+ months.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
StowNCharge is great, if you have an iPhone you shoudl just buy that.

Important to note that the factory pad is not MagSafe, it's Qi, which has always been a pretty terrible technology anyway, especially with multi-device mats, variability in phone cases, etc.

Qi2 is supposed to solve this by more or less standardizing MagSafe, but it's extremely early days on that front. Hopefully third-party Qi2 chargers are in market soon, but I'd be surprised if Rivian starts including them sooner than '25 or later.

Honestly I'm surprised they haven't just stopped including the current Qi charger, since it's clearly very expensive and mostly useless.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I have a brand new R1S and the charging pad still doesn't charge my iPhone 15 Pro Max.

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
As beta tester of the unit, I have had zero issues with it. Great product.
Which iPhone versions does it work with? 15?

Last edited:

Sponsored

kong

First Name
Rajiv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
Sales
StowNcharge FTW! Another happy user here…

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
StowNcharge it will be. Thanks!

andyboo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

This s00nish charger works fantastic: https://s00nish.com/products/click-n-charge-premium-wireless-phone-charger-for-rivian-r1t-r1s

Installed this the day we got our R1S (Dec 2023) because we’d had no luck getting an iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Mini, or iPhone 15 Pro to charge in the factory charger in the R1T (June 2022). Looking at the factory chargers of the R1S and R1T side by side, there doesn’t seem to have been any change in the charger or rubber pad.

tate16t

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Granite R1S
Occupation
Cyber Security
This s00nish charger works fantastic: https://s00nish.com/products/click-n-charge-premium-wireless-phone-charger-for-rivian-r1t-r1s

Installed this the day we got our R1S (Dec 2023) because we’d had no luck getting an iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Mini, or iPhone 15 Pro to charge in the factory charger in the R1T (June 2022). Looking at the factory chargers of the R1S and R1T side by side, there doesn’t seem to have been any change in the charger or rubber pad.
This is another nice one. I think it comes down to style/taste. I don’t particularly care for the pad on this one.

Sponsored

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
The s00nish pad is fantastic in form and function. It's also the most elegant looking aftermarket one.

Feuros

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Focus RS, Subaru Forester
Occupation
IT
These seem pretty expensive for what they are. Are they just plastic 3D printed?

c4denc3

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
DevOps Engineer
Clubs

md2023

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
Clubs

Rivian missed the boat on this feature and my best guess is the may update it during the 2024 refresh. I could NEVER get my iPhone 14 Pro to charge on the Rivian mat.

I went with https://adventurehightech.com/ for their Stow N Charge Mat and couldn't be happier....easy to charge two phones all day long. This is the solution Rivian should have made from the get-go. I also have a friend with the Adventure Mat and it works well.

I believe there's other solutions out there in this space...but I've been pretty happy with Adventure High Tech's solution in my R1T
I did this as well and am happy. It charges two phones reliably. It is slippery and would vote for a more non-slip texture, but works well for me (and quite a bit better than the original).

mkg3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unagi, Radio Flyer and Kette Car
Clubs

I had issues with the Stow N Charge in super hot weather where it wouldn’t reset after the cabin was cooled down. I had to manually unplug it from power and plug it back in again. I ended up with https://s00nish.com/products/click-n-charge-premium-wireless-phone-charger-for-rivian-r1t-r1s
Since StowNCharge doesn't provide mag charge pucks, perhaps its an issue with the brand of pucks you installed?

I live in SoCal and in the summer, interior cabin routinely exceeds 140 deg in the direct sun and have no had any issues.
Sponsored