Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Occupation
Software
Clubs

I don't like leaving my R1S outside the garage but sometimes it's unavoidable. My key fob isn't too far away from the driveway.

Sponsored

Jimbydude

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2016 Honda Civic
Can you update title with what your trying and give desc. I'm not clickbait fan

Tony R1S

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S QM 21
Maybe turn off "FOB and PAAK auto-unlock" option if you're parked outside? I turn off FOB auto-unlock because the key is close to the front door. When I do use my FOB, I just need to physically press the unlock.

Reactions: zor
OP
OP

zor

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot
Occupation
Software
Clubs

you know what? i just remembered that I did turn off auto-unlock and to unlock the R1S I have to manually unlock using the app as the FOB auto-unlock won't work.

Sponsored

baker

First Name
Baker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

Turning off auto-unlock will not protect your car from this type of attack.
"PIN to drive" would be a big help.
Today, the only way to protect your car outside is to prevent the thieves from capturing your key fobs signature. Once they have the signature they can spoof any of the buttons on the fob. You have to stop the Radio signals from reaching the thieves detection equipment. You can pull the FOB's battery or put your key in a Faraday "cage". The Faraday defense can be accomplished with a simple plastic bag type, an expensive bag or even a box that significantly reduces the amplitude of the fobs RF output. SEE LINKS

And close the app! It makes your phone into a very loud FOB

Cheep Faraday bags
https://www.amazon.com/HRX-Package-...prefix=plasticefaraday+bag,aps,77&sr=8-5&th=1

more expensive Faraday bag options
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=faradayb...611781&tag=googhydr-20&ref=pd_sl_18uuwcd3u8_e

one Faraday box option
https://www.amazon.com/Faraday-Text...317191&sprefix=faraday+box,aps,87&sr=8-8&th=1

kozak79

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

I turned off PAAK unlock while at home. It's not worth it with the constant unlock when I work by. I use Siri to unlock when approaching.

baker

First Name
Baker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

BTW this is a old attack vector. Here is a 2018 video on how to build an attack tool from a Raspberry Pi. This video is boring, don't watch it for fun. Nearly six years later this is even easier with prebuilds kits for sale online that don't require any technical knowledge.

CanaDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Pathfinder
Occupation
Retired
I turned off PAAK unlock while at home. It's not worth it with the constant unlock when I work by. I use Siri to unlock when approaching.
Cool. How does Siri access the Rivian app? Using a Shortcut? I turned off unlock at home as well and pushing unlock on the app to open can be cumbersome if your hands are full.

Sponsored

LongJoSilver

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X545e, BMW 428i, Infiniti FX37, R1S on order
Occupation
Engineer
Isn’t all our stuff Bluetooth and this applies to RF, right? I didn’t watch the videos but am familiar with the general concern.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Isn’t all our stuff Bluetooth and this applies to RF, right? I didn’t watch the videos but am familiar with the general concern.
Bluetooth is RF. As is Wi-Fi.

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I purchased the Faraday box below almost 2yrs ago when a vehicle in our neighborhood was stolen via a Relay Attack. Upon viewing my surveillance recordings from that morning, those scumbags also walked in my driveway and looked at all our vehicles at 4:45am. So, even if your vehicle hasn't been stolen yet.. you may be on their radar.

I tested the box by placing the fobs from our Model 3, i3 and Rivian inside, closing the box and walking right up to all three vehicles. Happily, none of the vehicles responded to their fobs being held right up against the vehicle. This is how I know I'm safe from a Relay Attack as long as everyone's fob is placed in the box at night as it's blocking all RF at that point.

The other benefit of using the Faraday box... we always know where all the fobs are!

Rivian R1T R1S Has anyone tried this?  "Relay attack" to your own car 1707326393417

LongJoSilver

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X545e, BMW 428i, Infiniti FX37, R1S on order
Occupation
Engineer
Bluetooth is RF. As is Wi-Fi.
My bad. I should have viewed before commenting. I assumed this was like the “rolling code” thing vs encrypted Bluetooth. Yeah… might work :/
Sponsored