First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Neighbor brought this one home today. Probably about as close to a finished ready for sale vehicle possible. Sat in it and got to play with a lot of the features. Can confirm it does have real cup holders for the rear passengers. Also has a secondary air conditioning system that covers the rear seats. Vents are are under the rear seats and C pillars facing the rear passengers. This was a LE in black Cap, Dark 22 wheels. I've already done the First Mile event, but I'm still amazed by these things...

Rivian R1T R1S Guide gave me an official R1S delay 20220514_142337
Sponsored

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Neighbor brought this one home today. Probably about as close to a finished ready for sale vehicle possible. Sat in it and got to play with a lot of the features. Can confirm it does have real cup holders for the rear passengers. Also has a secondary air conditioning system that covers the rear seats. Vents are are under the rear seats and C pillars facing the rear passengers. This was a LE in black Cap, Dark 22 wheels. I've already done the First Mile event, but I'm still amazed by these things...

20220514_142337.jpg
Great! What can you say about third row access?

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Great! What can you say about third row access?
Hit a botton on top of the seat back, seat back then folds forward to about 45 degrees and the whole seat slides forward on the track. This is what creates the access to the back seats.

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Hit a botton on top of the seat back, seat back then folds forward to about 45 degrees and the whole seat slides forward on the track. This is what creates the access to the back seats.
Thank you. So from what you saw, no chance there is enough room for a child to get to the third row by just sliding the second row to the front, without folding the seat back forward 45 degrees?

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Thank you. So from what you saw, no chance there is enough room for a child to get to the third row by just sliding the second row to the front, without folding the seat back forward 45 degrees?
I don't want to give you the wrong info. That second row seat reclines and has forward / back seat lever located under the front of the seat bottom. With the seat at 90 degrees straight up and the seat slid all the way forward its a big "maybe". I want to say there was enough room, but I'm not 100% sure. I'll try to ask him tomorrow. I wish I could be more help, and I understand you are probably worried about having fixed childs seats.

Sponsored

caliwagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Jeep Wrangler, Volvo XC90
How do the third row leg and headroom compare to other three row Suvs you've been in?

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
How do the third row leg and headroom compare to other three row Suvs you've been in?
My only comparison is a Ford Flex, since we've had two of them. I would say size wise, they are very similar in size and seating room. I've had smaller adults and teenagers in the back of the Flex, but can't really remember ever sitting back there (dad always has to drive). The difference with R1S is the ability for the second row to slide and lock in different forward / back positions. So you can add / subtract leg room based on who's sitting in the back. In the Flex, the second row is fixed in place, so you can't gain any extra leg room back there. Both suffer from not having access without folding the second row out of the way to access the back row (I might be wrong with the R1S, but my wife says not enough room).

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
Considering they really won't get any noticeable amount of R1S deliveries until well into 2H2022, I think my original estimate of 1H2023 will easily get pushed back to 2H2023, or even further at this rate.

caliwagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Jeep Wrangler, Volvo XC90
Is this a power operation, or manual? I.e., is some force required to return the 2nd row to its normal position, or could a child do it?

Thanks for the intel!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Considering they really won't get any noticeable amount of R1S deliveries until well into 2H2022, I think my original estimate of 1H2023 will easily get pushed back to 2H2023, or even further at this rate.
Hard to say, since they seem to be making mostly R1T currently, all it would really take is changing the production mix to build mostly R1S to crank out a whole whack of those once they’re over the hump of initial R1Ts

Reactions: Guy

Sponsored

bkswede

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 M50i 2017 Camaro ZL1 1963 Chevy II
Occupation
CPA
Can you comment on the lift gate - is it manual or power close? If power close; is there a button on the lift gate itself to close? Thanks!

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Is this a power operation, or manual? I.e., is some force required to return the 2nd row to its normal position, or could a child do it?

Thanks for the intel!
I met with friend today who has a 2021 Ford Explorer ST. I made it a point to see how it compared. After sitting inside and going over its function of the second row, I personally think this is a lot closer to the R1S than the Flex I currently own. The Explorer operates exactly the same, with buttons in the same spots and how the seat back goes to 45 degrees before sliding forward on seat tracks. Both the R1S and Explorer only return manually. Can it be done by a young boy 5-8, probably. Would my 7 year old daughter be able to return the seat, maybe, but not without whining. It does require some effort. Third row seats in the explorer operate up position / flat automatically from a switch located near the rear hatch. R1S has the same type switches in the rear by the hatch, but I didn't push them, so I'm not sure if operates in both directions. Head room and leg room felt and looked pretty much the same between the Explorer and the R1S.

The Explorer had the Ford Vista roof like my F150, but also has the retractable cover. R1S obviously lacks the roof window cover. My neighbors sole job is testing on already built systems. He gives feedback, but never really knows if the recommendations become reality, until he actually sees it. I asked about heat from the glass roof. To me felt cool to touch and it was over 90 degrees outside. He said during high temp testing in temps above 115 degrees F, he wore a hat, because of the heat / light coming through. That was very early on in testing and says that he thinks the glass has been changed, because to him, it appeared way darker. But like I said, they do not tell him what changes are made, he has to find out like everyone else. Personally, the glass looked dark enough and I wasn't getting heat off the glass. I'm sure the aftermarket will step up with some kind of retractable cover for those that don't like it the way it is.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Can you comment on the lift gate - is it manual or power close? If power close; is there a button on the lift gate itself to close? Thanks!
Rear door is upper and lower split style hatch. The lower portion was manual open / close. The upper portion was automatic with a switch outside and a second switch inside that ends up being above your head in the center of the hatch to close. The key fob also has a hatch button, so my guess is that it operates the upper hatch, but it didn't do anything when accidentally pressed it.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
With batch production many will come at once when the parts are available. However, expect that it takes time to ramp the production line. I would guess that the launch of the R1S will look similar to the R1T with quick ramping assuming parts are available.
However, It's also a game against the numbers now, so if more parts are available for the R1T they will prioritize that.

bkswede

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 BMW X5 M50i 2017 Camaro ZL1 1963 Chevy II
Occupation
CPA
Rear door is upper and lower split style hatch. The lower portion was manual open / close. The upper portion was automatic with a switch outside and a second switch inside that ends up being above your head in the center of the hatch to close. The key fob also has a hatch button, so my guess is that it operates the upper hatch, but it didn't do anything when accidentally pressed it.
Thanks! That’s great news as there is no mention in the R1S owner’s manual of a button on the lift gate itself to close the upper lift gate.
Sponsored