Going offroad in your Rivian

Taking your Rivian offroad?

• Total voters

Rivian1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE
I love the outdoor marketing angle Rivian has taken with their vehicles. It reminds me of Jeep, which I have a soft spot for (owned a Wrangler TJ over 20 years ago). That said who plans to heavily take their vehicle off road like their videos portray?
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Jeeps will continue to do the fun & scary stuff, but I won't hesitate to get the Rivian off the pavement whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I'm hoping one of the next Rivian vehicles is a Wrangler competitor. And I'd love to help them design a truly great one. ;-)

RefugeEV

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Cayenne
I think these trucks will be extremely capable off road. Besides being tough with the ballistic casing underbody they'll have, the Rivian trucks may also have unique capabilities because it's an EV. For example since there's four motors powering each wheel independently, Rivian hinted that the vehicles may come with the ability to run one of the motors in reverse to tighten the steering radius of a slow delicate crawl. :clap:

Sponsored

ACDC

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Outback, 2012 Tacoma
Light to moderate. No winch and no body armor this isn’t for rock crawling.
Neither comes standard on Jeeps either but are often and easily added in the aftermarket.

DocTwinkie

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Acura RDX, 2014 Volvo XC60
Neither comes standard on Jeeps either but are often and easily added in the aftermarket.
True. Though I don’t see how you’ll add a steel bumper given the electronics up there. There’s radar, lidar, etc. same with winch. Jeeps have no electronics in the bumper for that reason. You can’t block them. I also doubt the aftermarket will try to overcome these hurdles. Jeeps sell 250k a year and are easy bolt ons. These might sell 20k and few will be bolting hundreds of pounds of steel on them. Smittybuilt would have to buy a Rivian then figure out how to bolt it on there ANd Test to make sure it didn’t interfere with autonomous features or get sued. There’s just no market for it.

I’m not at all upset by this. But you’d be crazy to rock crawl this. One slip onto that front bumper and you’d destroy so much electronics. Overland yes. Rock crawl,... If you have enough money to buy another one... sure. Go for it and record it. I’ll watch. Lol.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
No rock crawler here except on my dirt bike up to a few years ago, but it will be done. People will find a way including weekend bolt ons no matter how much work. It sure looks like there is a lot of wheel spin though in those videos.

Sponsored

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
I want to do some overlanding/camping in it... lot's of trails but no serious rock crawling. I am hoping we can get a group to do the Mojave road which looks very doable in this truck.

jimrichard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Toyota Tundra, 2017 Infiniti Q50
Occupation
Self
I also wonder if there will be a rock mode button where hitting the gas will not come on too fast. 0-60 in 3 seconds could make for a too quick acceleration while moving through rocky terrain. I notice quite a bit of wheel spin in their videos when climbing rocky hills. Since there is no low range in the transmission it would make sense to have some drive modes I would think.

outdoors_jp

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S and Highlander
Occupation
Geologist
looking forward to camping and hiking in the mountains. mostly dirt road nothing too technical. I'm most looking forward to see how it handles in the snow. I'm always ready to get to the trailhead in the spring so the sooner I can go the better and it has to get through what is left from winter. As well as getting to the ski hills on those extra snowy days is a must.
Sponsored