Sponsored

GM to Help Expand EVgo Charging

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
So, they are talking metro areas only, nothing along the highways, where they are desperately needed the most. Their target seems to be condo and apartment dwellers that cannot install there own chargers.
Yes. That is something like 50% of the population in many urban/suburban areas and definitely something that needs to be addressed.
A relatively small percentage of vehicle owners take long road trips, yet the ability to do that ranks very high on their needs list for an EV - even if they haven't done it recently and may or may not do so in the future.
That being said, I do expect an increase in both single occupant commuting (away from mass transit) and more long distance driving (away from air travel) due to COVID.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
EV spots in mall parking lots would have a lot more uptake if laws were passed and rigidly enforced protecting them, otherwise it's just going to be a bunch of diesel pickups sitting in them.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
EV spots in mall parking lots would have a lot more uptake if laws were passed and rigidly enforced protecting them, otherwise it's just going to be a bunch of diesel pickups sitting in them.
I have never seen a pickup truck parked in one of those mall spots, EVGO has many of these already in Phoenix at different malls. But what I see all the time is the ones close to the doors have handicapped plates on small cars or minivans parked in them all the time. People just see some different color paint (green) on the ground and think it is blue for handicapped. The other thing happens is that you will find a Volt or Prius parked at a CCS or Chademo charger and not plugged in (they are J1772 only). There are many photos on PlugShare showing this.

It has never been clear to me why they always place the EVGO stations close to the mall entrances, why not way out in the parking lot, then they would never be blocked. EA chargers have the same issue at Walmart's, some locations have them far from the store entry, others have them in a central aisle close to the entrance, and those get blocked.

In Arizona the law already allows for a $350 fine, and many people make photocopies of the statute and keep copies to place on windshields. Since these are mall parking lots, it is not a priority for the police.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
It has never been clear to me why they always place the EVGO stations close to the mall entrances, why not way out in the parking lot, then they would never be blocked.
Cost is likely a factor. digging/trenching/repaving out to the far reaches is going to cost more than locating close to the power source.

I've seen plenty of EA spots blocked by ICE vehicles at the far reaches of Walmart parking lots with loads of empty spots all around the charging stations. I guess they are trying to make a statement of some sort, but not sure what the message is.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
Cost is likely a factor. digging/trenching/repaving out to the far reaches is going to cost more than locating close to the power source.

I've seen plenty of EA spots blocked by ICE vehicles at the far reaches of Walmart parking lots with loads of empty spots all around the charging stations. I guess they are trying to make a statement of some sort, but not sure what the message is.
Most likely the only statement they are making is that is the first spot they found available that’s not handicapped and it’s not against the law. Don’t think there are many out there to purposely park in EV spots. But I could be wrong. Up until recently, I myself didn’t realize how many EVs are out there.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Most likely the only statement they are making is that is the first spot they found available that’s not handicapped and it’s not against the law. Don’t think there are many out there to purposely park in EV spots. But I could be wrong. Up until recently, I myself didn’t realize how many EVs are out there.
This is in Oregon where it is against the law, far away from the doors/entrance.
This is one where I've seen it (with the parking lot about that full):
Rivian R1T R1S GM to Help Expand EVgo Charging 583574

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
This is in Oregon where it is against the law, far away from the doors/entrance.
Did not know there was a law against it.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Did not know there was a law against it.
It applies to any vehicle occupying an alternative fuels spot and not engaged in the refueling process. EVs blocking charging spots are treated no differently than an ICE under the law.

Jehorton

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Firefighter/Paramedic
It applies to any vehicle occupying an alternative fuels spot and not engaged in the refueling process. EVs blocking charging spots are treated no differently than an ICE under the law.
Well that’s a good law.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
583574.jpg
Your Rivian will have plenty of torque, so just carry a tow strap and have a trailer hitch, You can drag any vehicle out of the EV parking spot when you have this much room way out in the lot. There is a video of a guy in a Tesla dragging a pickup out of a Super Charger spot.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Your Rivian will have plenty of torque, so just carry a tow strap and have a trailer hitch, You can drag any vehicle out of the EV parking spot when you have this much room way out in the lot. There is a video of a guy in a Tesla dragging a pickup out of a Super Charger spot.
Ha ha... true... but perhaps not recommended. Never know when the owner of that vehicle will show back up and - being the rational, intelligent citizen that they are - decide to respond with physical violence toward you or your Rivian.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Ha ha... true... but perhaps not recommended. Never know when the owner of that vehicle will show back up and - being the rational, intelligent citizen that they are - decide to respond with physical violence toward you or your Rivian.
Yes, that comment was meant to be tongue in cheek, the Tesla video I saw of this appeared to be a set-up done late at night with nobody else around. But if someone does decide to try this, I suggest having your optional gun rack in the back window well armed.
Sponsored